allergy? - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-26-2011, 08:21 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default allergy?

About a week ago I got poked by one of Hazels quills. Nothing new except that the next day it looked like I had a bit of a bump. Then the next day it was itchy and more blister like bumps. Now my index finger and middle finger are full of blister like bumps, swollen, painful, and itchy. I went to the dr. they put me on prednisone and a steroid ointment. It's been 3 days and no improvement maybe a little worse. I have gotten poked since and no reaction. Could this be an allergy???
Any help/suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

mcwojo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-26-2011, 08:44 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: allergy?

The exact same thing happened to me the first month we had Snarf. My skin reacted the same way yours did. I happened to be seeing my doc anyway and asked him about it. he said likely just a senstivity not an allergy and prescribed Lotriderm? something like that. It went away before I had the chance to fill the prescription and hasn't reappeared.

I did have the rash for a full 4-6 weeks...even if I washed faithfully, didn't touch Snarf...nothing seemed to make a difference. I sometimes used Cortaid that I had on hand and it worked for a couple hours, then the itching would start.

Only a doc can say if it's allergy or not. My doc was pretty adamant it wasn't just cuz allergies to hedgies are so rare. I would give it a bit more time unless it's making you crazy...then see your doc again, I guess.
Old 02-26-2011, 08:54 PM   #3 (permalink)

I was curious about this too. I just noticed three little bumps on one hand, they aren't itchy, and only tiny bumps. I do have allergies to cat dander, and we have a cat. I take allergy meds every day. Could Juju's quills poked cat dander into my skin? I am not terribly worried as I take meds for allergies and it doesn't seem bad. It is good to know it is probably not Juju I am allergic to, I would bet it is cat dander I am reacting to.

Juju's Blog! http://jujuqpricklypants.blogspot.com
MoonBean is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2011, 09:06 PM   #4 (permalink)
Hooked on Hogs

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissC
My doc was pretty adamant it wasn't just cuz allergies to hedgies are so rare.
That is a total myth. Hedgehogs cause just as many allergies as other animals do and in some cases even more because they have quills that poke into our skin.

Of the roughly 75 rescues I've taken in over the years, 15 to 20 of them were due to allergies, I'll have to count sometime. I've also taken back numerous babies whose owners developed allergies to them. Just look at how many hedgehogs on here that people have had to rehome because of allergies

I really wish the "hedgehogs don't cause allergies" myth would disappear. Sure there are some people who are allergic to every other animal but not a hedgehog, but it isn't as common as those who are allergic to the hedgehog. Typical time frame from what I've noticed is 5-6 months to a year before the allergy is to the point of needing to rehome. Sometimes it takes even longer. I've also known people who had more than one hedgehog and were allergic to one but not the others.

Often people have a reaction at first but then it goes away. Sometimes it comes back, months later and continues to be a full blown allergy.

Retired from breeding

Rescue contact for both the Hedgehog Welfare Society and the IHA
Rescued over 70 (and counting) hedgehogs needing a new home

http://freewebs.com/thehedgieden/
Nancy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-26-2011, 09:27 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy
Of the roughly 75 rescues I've taken in over the years, 15 to 20 of them were due to allergies, I'll have to count sometime. I've also taken back numerous babies whose owners developed allergies to them.
wow, i didn't realize it was so common. it's good that some allergies are livable. i am used to managing my non-life-threatening allergies (NOT to pets, thank goodness).
Old 02-27-2011, 12:14 AM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by fracturedcircle
i am used to managing my non-life-threatening allergies (NOT to pets, thank goodness).
The only thing I'm allergic to is snow. And it's only life-threatening to the people around me, beginning in mid-February after a week of minus 20 temperatures.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in