My first hedgehog! - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-21-2014, 06:32 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default My first hedgehog!

So I just got my hedgehog and I'm kinda scared to pick her up and some videos I've seen from owners is to wait a few days to hold her. When I tried she was just not having it. I'm gonna wait another day because i just got her yesterday. I'm just wondering if anyone has any suggestions for a new owner to help on bonding with my hedgehog?
CayyCrustacean is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-21-2014, 06:37 PM   #2 (permalink)

Congratulations on your new baby! I saw your post in another thread. Patience is the biggest thing with new hedgies. They're cautious and need to be allowed to take their time in getting to know your scent and voice. I always put a shirt I've worn in the cage for the first several months so that they can sleep with my scent. Also cuddle every day! Just because she's huffing or hissing doesn't mean she hates you, it just means she doesn't know you yet. Keep at it and she will soon realize that you mean her no harm and start loving on you. It also helps to keep a schedule. Cuddle her around the same time every day so that she gets in the habit. It's definitely worth it once they start to come out of their shell and show off their personalities = ]
cass.meno@hotmail.com is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-21-2014, 08:25 PM   #3 (permalink)

Thanks so much! I love her already and just can't to see her start to show her personality. The person we got her from says she normally wakes up around 6 pm so we will probably play with her in the evenings.i also did out a shirt in there because she seems to like hiding under blankets and cloths. I'm very excited. If you have any other tips or think of anything feel free to share.

Old 11-21-2014, 10:25 PM   #4 (permalink)

Yes, patience patience! And remember, if you go for trying to grab her and she huffs, hisses, etc. DO NOT PUT HER DOWN! She will just learn that doing that will get her what she wants (you to back off, and her to stay in her cage.) If my girl is in a bad mood, whether it is quilling or she's just having a grumpy day, I still sometimes have to mentally tell myself not to give into her. Don't be afraid to pick her up with fleece until you are comfortable holding her! Just don't use gloves, it will mask the scent of your hands. Also, learn how to reward her for being a good girl with bonding time.

I hope some of that was new information! Good luck, keep us posted.
Old 11-22-2014, 12:25 AM   #5 (permalink)

Thanks so much Ashley! I appreciate it. I did get her out of her cage. She was in a ball for a bit but then for a bit curious and started running around. Im still a bit scared to hold her without a blanket or Tshirt but I'm getting used to it. I absolutely love her and can't wait to play with her more. thanks everyone for all the amazing tips. It's helping a lot.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in