So, I'm thinking about giving Hufflepuff her first bath - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-23-2011, 08:17 PM   #1 (permalink)

Unhappy So, I'm thinking about giving Hufflepuff her first bath

I've had her for a week and I read that you're suppose to bath them weekly (and she's pretty dirty anyways), so I guess it's time I learn to bath a hedgehog. Are there any suggestions about what I should use to clean her and how I should bath her. I mean, I've watched a few youtube videos but they don't really go into detail about what they use.

hufflepuffs_luv is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-23-2011, 11:51 PM   #2 (permalink)

Send a message via MSN to ehanton
Default Re: So, I'm thinking about giving Hufflepuff her first bath

You want to use a baby or kitten shampoo. Oatmeal shampoo is best as it soothes their skin, especially when they are quilling. You will want a toothbrush and a towel ready. Fill the sink with a little water, it shouldn't be more than 2 inches, your hedgie needs to be able to keep her head above the water. The water should be warm but not too hot, I always test mine on the inside of my wrist like you do with a baby's bottle. You can also put a few drops of flax oil in the water if her skin is especially dry. Lower her in slowly and make sure the water isn't running as it scares them. Using your hand, gently cup water and pour it over her back, staying away from her face. With the shampoo, what I like to do is put a little in your hand and rub the toothbrush in it, then gently brush the quills downwards, with the grain I guess! For her poopyboots, one at a time you can gently rub her feet with your fingers to get the poop off. Baths are also a good time to clip nails as they can't ball up so you can do that too if you would like. Using the same cupping motion, pour water over her back and make sure you get all the shampoo off. Pick her up and wrap her in the towel and now you get to snuggle with her until she is dry, its the best part!! They often poop/pee in the water, if it gets really dirty you might have to take her out and refill it. Hope this helps, happy bathing!
ehanton is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-24-2011, 12:24 AM   #3 (permalink)

Don't use anything with the word "shampoo" in it, as it often drys out their skin more than we want. Most here use Aveeno oatmeal wash(or the generic brand), or even just plain oatmeal in a sock to swish in the water to make cloudy. Also, shampoos tend to be heavily scented, especially animal shampoos. And with their nose so close to the water, it will easily irritate them.

Only quilling hedgies should be bathed weekly, as it just helps to soothe their skin. After that, it's really just bath when they are dirty, and foot baths inbetween. My boy hasn't had an actual bath in many MANY months.

Personally, I like putting a small piece of fleece at the bottom of the sink, this way, the surface isn't slippery as they do tend to scramble and run away. Giving them some sort of foothold may help ease their fright.

I end my boy's baths with flax oil rinse as well. Pop open 1 capsule, empty into small cup, add warm water to small cup, then pour over back. Then he's all done, comes out of the sink and cuddles for drying time. These flax oil rinses can be done weekly or bi-weekly to help combat dry skin.
Immortalia is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2011, 07:57 PM   #4 (permalink)

Thanks guys I bought fragrance free oatmeal body wash from the family dollar, is it ok to use that? I'm not sure where to find flax oil, it's ok to bath her without it right?

hufflepuffs_luv is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-26-2011, 07:00 PM   #5 (permalink)

Without knowing the actual ingredients within the oatmeal wash that you used, can't really comment on how safe it is. Though it probably is safe.

As for the flax seed oil, you can buy them in capsule form in most pharmacy sections of any store. Though yes, it's ok to bath without it.
Immortalia is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-26-2011, 08:19 PM   #6 (permalink)

Do you rinse them after you use the flax seed oil?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in