Hedgehog & Weekly Nightmares - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-21-2011, 03:11 AM   #1 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to Puffers315
Default Hedgehog & Weekly Nightmares

I couldn't think of a good subject title, this isn't about us owners having hedgehog nightmares, but hedgehogs themselves having nightmares. I know several members here have experienced the dreaded "death scream" from their hedgehogs only to find the hedgehog safe and asleep, but I seem to be having a different type of problem.

For the past three weeks, once or twice a week, Hester Sue has been letting out these horrid "whining" noises while she sleeps, obviously like she is hurt, and like others who have heard the death screams, my heart jumps, I rush to the cage, throw the covers off and check her, only to get an earful of displeased hissing because I disturbed her, usually followed by angry wheeling.

Maybe she is giving off the death scream, the only example we found on youtube is that one hedgehog who is really upset at the vets, and I know its been said that the hog sounds really horsed in the video.

But I'm just curious if anyone here has experienced this multiple times, seems like it was a once or twice thing with other members, and she's been doing it at least once a week, its to the point I'm not even checking (which is probably bad), I say her name really loud and she stops, and then she comes out and wheels for awhile. Its just strange, at least to me. I ponder what she is dreaming.

Old 02-21-2011, 07:28 AM   #2 (permalink)
Hooked on Hogs

Default Re: Hedgehog & Weekly Nightmares

It may be the scream of death but it may also be that she is just a very vocal sleeper. Our Lily used to be so vocal in her sleep that we could here her on the main level of the house and their room is upstairs. Some of her noises were similar to the scream of death.

Retired from breeding

Rescue contact for both the Hedgehog Welfare Society and the IHA
Rescued over 70 (and counting) hedgehogs needing a new home

http://freewebs.com/thehedgieden/
Nancy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in