How bad do hedgehogs really smell? - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

Like Tree19Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-15-2014, 06:42 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default How bad do hedgehogs really smell?

So, I've heard a lot of people say hedgehogs don't smell at all! But, on the other hand, someone people say that they smell A LOT! Just wondering what everyone else thought as unfortunately this is one of the reasons I am not allowed one
Catluvscats is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-15-2014, 06:53 PM   #2 (permalink)

Honestly, I don't think they smell at all while my fiancee says he can smell them. Besides there poop (every ones poop smells) they don't give off an odor like ferrets or male rats. There is no discernible difference between males and females scent wise and neither gender marks or sprays. However, their wheels can get smelly without daily cleaning and their urine can smell strong if bedding isn't change.
Catluvscats likes this.
DesireeM81 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-15-2014, 06:55 PM   #3 (permalink)

My boyfriend thought Cookie smelled (he did a little bit), so I got a box of baking soda and stuck it next to his cage. The smell is gone and everyone is happy. Some people get air purifiers to help with the smell.
Catluvscats, Katten and tofrus like this.

HedgiePome is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2014, 07:55 PM   #4 (permalink)

the urine and feces smells. keep the hedgie and cage clean and there isnt a smell.
this is my experience anyways
Catluvscats and Katten like this.

coffeebean is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-15-2014, 09:58 PM   #5 (permalink)

I only notice a smell when I leave my room and come back in or when there's a draft of air from outside, like if my roommates walk by or open/close a door. Even then, it's not super strong nor does it bother me, and it goes away pretty quickly. Poop and urine are the smelliest parts, but that's handled with daily wheel and litter cleaning and consistent cage cleaning.
Catluvscats likes this.

xorenaa is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-16-2014, 01:33 AM   #6 (permalink)

The actual poop, for me, smells so bad it could trigger a gag reflex. The actual hedgie doesn't smell in my opinion. Still, even scrubbing the wheel every day and spot cleaning the cage, the scent lingers in my room.
Teddi4211 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-16-2014, 01:45 AM   #7 (permalink)

I would not be able to have a hedgehog if they stunk. I currently live with my parents who strictly forbid anything with a strong body odour. I do make the effort to spot clean every morning. My little lady is litter trained and sleeps on fleece bedding, which I switch out every 3rd night... They really shouldn't stink but some people are hypersensitive to smell.
Catluvscats likes this.
AlexandPersephone is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-16-2014, 02:18 AM   #8 (permalink)

Sorry I really need to correct my last message: they shouldn't have a strong body odour but the cage can get very smelly very fast. Plus, when necessary they should be bathed...
AlexandPersephone is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-16-2014, 02:30 AM   #9 (permalink)

I remember when Nico first came home one of the things I didn't really know anything about was if there was going to be a distinctive hedgehog smell and how strong it was going to be. Which frankly made me nervous. I had decided against a ferret partially because the overwhelming consensus was that they smell. However, my little girl came home and it turns out I was worried over nothing.

They do have their own scent. Every living creature does. But it's not by any means strong. I remember sitting by the cage shortly after getting her and remarking that there was a mild smell, but that it was not unpleasant. To be honest I kinda liked it. But having had her for a while now I don't smell her at all. The poop is another story. If not kept up with it can smell really bad really fast. But daily cleaning of the wheel and spot cleaning daily make a huge impact. I've even made a point of asking visitors to my home if they smelled anything and so far no one has noticed the smell of hedgehog or poop.
Catluvscats likes this.
shinydistraction is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-16-2014, 06:50 PM   #10 (permalink)

I really have to point out that wether something "stinks" or not is 100% going to depend on the person doing the sniffing, because everyone has different ideas of what "stink" is and everyone is different when it comes to odor sensitivity. That's why you have some people saying there's no stink at all, and others who say there is.

Regardless, output from ANY animal is going to smell like something. I clean up poop ASAP otherwise i can smell it in the living room, but other than that i have nothing to complain about. I just joke that "well, i know Hamish is up!"

I also have to throw out (since i know you also asked about convincing your parents) that if someone doesn't want a pet in the home but is "convinced" into it anyway.... then even the cleanest of pet/cage can "stink" simply because they want to be difficult about it. If they're resentful of the pet, nothing is going to make them happy about it being there no matter what you do so yeah... to them, it will "stink" 24/7!
Nancy, nikki, Lilysmommy and 2 others like this.
TrendyK9 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in