Worried about activity level - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By Prickerz
  • 2 Post By shinydistraction

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-30-2014, 05:38 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Worried about activity level

Every morning when I get up, there is poo and pee on the wheel, some food and water is gone. But before I go to bed around 11, it doesn't seem like she is very active, and she is never awake when I get up in the middle of the night.

I am still working on getting this darn CHE to heat the cage properly. My space heater does a better job, but the temp does fluctuate more than I would like it to. Never below 74 degrees and she has never attempted to hibernate, but should I be concerned?
Prickerz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-30-2014, 07:35 PM   #2 (permalink)

You have a baby right?

I can tell you that my babies are just now starting to wake up earlier and be more active. Penny will be 6 months in a few days and Winter is 4 1/2 months.

Babies sleep so much. It seems like to much but they are just fine. Also, many hedgehogs won't come out until people aren't around or sound asleep. And they know... in some creepy way. The moment I shut the bedroom door I swear they all get up and be cute without me seeing.

What is your fluctuation? Thermostats all have some type of fluctuation too.
DesireeM81 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-30-2014, 08:23 PM   #3 (permalink)

Around 5 degrees? Not every day, just when we get major temp changes. It is incredibly frustrating. I am doing everything I can think of to get it under control but the CHE set up seems like it was a waste of money!
I have the living world cage

Thank you- that is very comforting!

Old 10-30-2014, 09:57 PM   #4 (permalink)

My cages jump up in temp very fast here too. We took down our swamp cooler during our first cool week and then we have had such high temperatures that my house is now sitting around 80 during the day which is great for two of my hedgehogs whose normal temps are around 78. However, my other two and especially Penny like it on the cooler side. Her temps are 73 to 75. So her cage is jumping up around 7 degrees which is driving me crazy too. But she isn't temp sensitive so right now it hasn't been a big deal but I understand your frustration.

Also, I found that as soon as I got my CHE's running and working that they work great but it is definitely a challenge to get things right.

Double check your wattage. I know someone who bought a 100 watt and looked at their lamp and it was a 60 watt.
DesireeM81 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-30-2014, 10:12 PM   #5 (permalink)

I was wondering the same thing about my hedge baby so I attached a camera to her cage to see what she does at night. Emma will be up for 45 minutes- then take an hour long nap- and then she's back at it again. Plus babies tend to sleep more from what I have read. Must be nice!
MissMoose is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-30-2014, 11:51 PM   #6 (permalink)

I know I wish I could sleep in a comfy fleece sack all day!
The bulb is 100 watts. I am trying to figure out how to keep the heat in the cage
DesireeM81 likes this.
Old 10-31-2014, 12:58 AM   #7 (permalink)

Where is the cage located? Is it near a window or somewhere where there is a draft? That might be contributing to the problem. You could drape some fabric across one or two sides of the cage to help hold in heat.

Where I live this is a frustrating time of year. It's cold at night and hot during the day. So AC running during the day and then we switch to the heat at night. Despite the fact that I keep the heat for the house set to 75 it's getting so cold at night that Nico's cage gets to the low 70's even with her CHE. We normally keep her at about 77. So I draped some fleece across the back of her cage and voila! He temp stays steady right where it's supposed to. And that was only covering one side of her cage so there's still lots of ventilation.
DesireeM81 and Prickerz like this.
shinydistraction is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in