Two Nervous Hogs HELP - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By gracefulchaos01
  • 1 Post By MomLady

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-23-2014, 05:12 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Two Nervous Hogs HELP

Hello!!

I am not new to the hoggie world but I do need some serious help!

Little back ground.... I had my first hedgehog named Turbo from 6 weeks old and then this past June he suddenly died at 18months. He was by far the coolest hedgie ever! I leash trained him and he absolutely loved it! To him the harness meant freedom!!! My baby was a total mommas boy and was always showing me love and affection, I was devastated the day he died.

My wonderful fiancee couldn't bare to see me cry anymore and went to our local breeder with my story and she was determined to help him find the perfect hog... He couldn't decide on his own so he made the phone call to me and I came over. There were so many cute and amazing and friendly hogs! But one of my breeders nervous hogs stole my heart! His cage mate was also classified as a nervous hog and she said if we were to take on one she would like us to take both being that they are best friends. She had confidence in me because I had already owned a hog before, so I took both home. I now have had my two boys BoostLee and Nitro since the middle of June, I have tried everything from taking them out for hours at a time together, separate. A few mins a day, a few times a day, leaving a tshirt in their cage... EVERYTHING... but... they are still so nervous.

BoostLee is my mellow hoggie. He just wants to relax hang out and cuddle. He typical spikes up at first like a normal hog and will usually relax within 5 mins but he always keeps is face quills up. anytime I put him down he will just sit there, he wont move, wont explore... just sit there like a bump on a log. Bt now he is starting to act like Nitro and constantly balling up.

Nitro... ohh where to begin with Nitro hmm well... we is always in a ball jumping and clicking. I can sometimes manage to get him to relax and calm down but god forbid if you make any movement or any sounds because he will spike right back up.

I just don't know what to do anymore. I have tried so hard with these two and I love them both so much but I am getting discouraged. My breeder offered to take them back and let me pick out a new hog but I don't want to do that to them, I love them too much to give up completely.

Please... if anyone has any advice they can give.. I would be really grateful!
Hoggiemomma is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-23-2014, 05:37 PM   #2 (permalink)

~smiles~ My advice is to just roll with it. It's who they are and over time with lots of patience it may improve. But they are who they are and should be accepted as such. I have hogs I have raised their entire lives, all 8 months, who do that to me every single time I go to bond with them. They do relax after a bit. But movement or sudden noise or a leaf falling off the trees outside and they spring right back into a ball. I laugh at them now. Cowardly little marshmallows that they are.
CoffeeKat likes this.

gracefulchaos01 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-23-2014, 05:44 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gracefulchaos01 View Post
~smiles~ My advice is to just roll with it. It's who they are and over time with lots of patience it may improve. But they are who they are and should be accepted as such. I have hogs I have raised their entire lives, all 8 months, who do that to me every single time I go to bond with them. They do relax after a bit. But movement or sudden noise or a leaf falling off the trees outside and they spring right back into a ball. I laugh at them now. Cowardly little marshmallows that they are.
its just so discouraging!
Hoggiemomma is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2014, 05:49 PM   #4 (permalink)

I understand. But once you get past the expectation that they are supposed to be one way and accept that they really are a different way it becomes much easier to really get close to them. But I truly do understand. My hand raised one's know me and I know them, and despite their shyness we have a great relationship. My adopted one though... It's been 3 months now and he still pokes the blazes out of me every single day. His attitude is thawing, but I totally admit to being discouraged on many days with him. But we will work it out over time. He is who he is. I just wish he would at least snuggle sometimes...

gracefulchaos01 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-23-2014, 06:22 PM   #5 (permalink)

Try doing bonding with them in the dark. You can sit quietly and hold them and it seems sometimes without any distractions it helps. I also read stories and sang little songs to my Nara.
She was very "grumpy". It just seemed forever for her to bond.
Finally now that's she's 4 (yes that's how long it's been) she finally seems to like me. She huffs a little when I first get her up, but then she curls up and goes to sleep on me so then it's all worth it.
Time and patience.
You were lucky--your first hedgehog was actually not how most hedgies are, most are like the ones you have now. Some of the more friendly ones change after quilling. Their first instinct is to protect themselves.
gracefulchaos01 likes this.
MomLady is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in