Deciding on buying a hedgehog? - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-22-2011, 05:43 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Deciding on buying a hedgehog?

Hello everyone,
I've been researching for about 3hours now and found this website and decided to register
I'm deciding on buying a hedgehog but i have a few questions to ask.
I've always wanted a hedgehog since i was small (I'm 17 now) i haven't always been around hedgehogs but i have a house in portugal and there i live in the countryside and in summer at night sometimes they come beside my house as i throw fruits for them to eat and sometimes i pet them even though they get into a ball as they scared, but those are huge hedgehogs, i would like a smaller hedgehog,
which one would you recommend?
Also which gender is better? like friendly or playful?
which cage do you prefer wire cage or this plastic type of cage? (picture below)
also if i end up getting the plastic one its going to be much bigger and will it melt with the heater? also with time i would save up and buy a better home for it
http://beachbumhedgehogs.com/images/Cag ... _16640.jpg

any tips and advice??
ShaylaRosa is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-22-2011, 06:10 PM   #2 (permalink)

Send a message via MSN to pooka dotted
Default Re: Deciding on buying a hedgehog?

Reading a lot of the stories posted here, there is no gender that is more playful or lively. Hedgehogs are nocturnal as well, so they get a bit grouchy sometimes when they're woken up in the daytime. It all depends on the personality of the hedgehog really... my napoleon was a GROUCH when I got her from the pet store, but now that I feed her mealies and talk to her etc. she has become a lot more friendly. I still can't take her out though because she has babies that are still Dependant on her. But i'm confident she'll be nice once the babies are gone and I can spend one on one time. Some hedgehogs NEVER come around and some wake up and run outside of their pigloos to be held. Also, I have a cage that is meant for a guinea pig (plastic bottom and 8 inches up the sides, then wire for the rest of the way up and a wire top.) But most people here have C&C cages which im sure if you look around you could find pictures in one of the forums, i forget which one. It's called "Cage examples" or something like that. I don't think that with the required heat amount (75-80'F, 25-30'C) the plastic would melt.
Old 01-22-2011, 06:13 PM   #3 (permalink)

Send a message via MSN to pooka dotted

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=1860&st=0&sk=t&sd=a&hilit=cage +examples

Here's the link to the forum I talked about

Old 01-22-2011, 07:53 PM   #4 (permalink)

Thankyouuuuuu
ShaylaRosa is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-22-2011, 09:11 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaylaRosa
Hello everyone,
I've been researching for about 3hours now and found this website and decided to register
I'm deciding on buying a hedgehog but i have a few questions to ask.
I've always wanted a hedgehog since i was small (I'm 17 now) i haven't always been around hedgehogs but i have a house in portugal and there i live in the countryside and in summer at night sometimes they come beside my house as i throw fruits for them to eat and sometimes i pet them even though they get into a ball as they scared, but those are huge hedgehogs, i would like a smaller hedgehog,
which one would you recommend?
Also which gender is better? like friendly or playful?
which cage do you prefer wire cage or this plastic type of cage? (picture below)
also if i end up getting the plastic one its going to be much bigger and will it melt with the heater? also with time i would save up and buy a better home for it
http://beachbumhedgehogs.com/images/Cag ... _16640.jpg

any tips and advice??
Welcome to HHC!

The hedgehogs you had had contact with in Portugal I'd guess are European Hedgehogs. If you want a pet hedgehog here in the US, then you'd go with a African Pygmy Hedgehog.

There is no difference in comportment between genders. Keep in mind that males tend to pleasure themselves and some are very private about it, but some are not and will do it in front of you. Something to think about when deciding the gender.

I suggest you read all the stickies here, and also this online book:

http://www.hedgehogbook.webs.com/

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in