Help me with taming please!! - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

Like Tree4Likes
  • 2 Post By gracefulchaos01
  • 2 Post By Prickerz

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-06-2014, 05:33 PM   #1 (permalink)

Unhappy Help me with taming please!!

Hi, everyone. So i recently got a hedgehog from a family with a lot of kids because they didn't have the time to take care of him anymore. I brought him home and gave him a new cage, something with my smell in it, and new toys. But he's so scared of hands, and even faces. i put my hand in the cage and he starts going into a ball and hisses. he sees a face he stops right in in his tracks. He hears a kissing sound and he stars hissing and popping. Im at a loss and don't know what to do. i can't even pick him up because he just goes in a ball and starts popping. I want to help him get over his fear, and be a social but how can i? please help!!
Sallyxoxo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-06-2014, 07:38 PM   #2 (permalink)

You are doing the right things, except the kiss noises. What you need to keep in mind is this bonding process could well take months of active work on your part, just to find out what his personality is. Hedgies aren't usually easy pets, I don't know why so many people think they are.
However. If you keep doing what you are doing, keep his food and environment within necessary boundaries and exhibit a ton of love and patience on your part, you will eventually be rewarded with the opportunity to get to know your new pet.
MomLady and Sallyxoxo like this.

gracefulchaos01 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-07-2014, 10:37 AM   #3 (permalink)

Pick him up anyways. Use a piece of cloth to protect your hands, and hold him until he comes out. He needs to learn that balling up doesn't scare you away.
DesireeM81 and tofrus like this.
Prickerz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2014, 04:42 PM   #4 (permalink)

I agree with both of the above! If you pick him up with some fabric or fleece, make sure you're scooping underneath him. Then, turn him around. Give him a minute or two, and he should eventually unball out of curiousity! You are off to a great start though.

I had to just sit there and watch and talk to my hedgie for the first two-three nights before I was comfortable even trying to grab her. I wanted her to get used to my voice so she wouldn't be as scared. I'm also a very jumpy person, so I had to put my girl through torture and attempt picking her up several times and hear/feel her huffing and puffing and put her down. Once I got used to her reaction and it didn't make me so jumpy, I started holding her more.
ashleyyy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in