New Hedgie. Lots of Questions?!?! - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-13-2011, 03:15 PM   #1 (permalink)

Smile New Hedgie. Lots of Questions?!?!

Question 1:
I got my hedgie about 5 days ago. I don't expect him to be completely comfortable with me this soon after his arrival, but i want to know is it normal that he puts up a HUGE fuss when i try to pick him up out of the cage or off the bed, or generally anytime something moves near him, but he unrolls and is very pleasant almost immediately after i roll him around in my hands. He does nest in one of my t shirts along with plenty of fleece strips.

Question 2: He refuses to eat meal worms (freeze dried). Normal? and I've heard of people also offering wet cat food as well.. i tried and he does not like that either. Ill be trying some baby food and a little fruit later.

Question 3: At night he doesn't come out until really late ( around 3 or 4 am). and he wont stay out very long. Hour at the most. Should i be worried. *Note* he does not have a wheel yet. It should be arriving any day.

Question 4: He has a ramp and a loft in his cage about 6 or 7 inches off the cage floor. He loves to go up the ramp and jump off. Is this dangerous. i put many layers of fleece under the ledge just in case.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20110111_230407.jpg (555.4 KB, 11 views)
QuillyNelson is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-13-2011, 03:23 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: New Hedgie. Lots of Questions?!?!

1) That's perfectly normal. My boy, after 2 years, STILL put up a huge hissy fit every time I move and disturb his beauty sleep. This includes moving an arm to get a drink, etc etc and it slightly moves him.

2) It's actually recommended NOT to feed any treats until about 2-4 weeks after they have arrived home, unless it's something they were fed regularly before. This is because they will be going through stress, and both stress AND new foods can cause upset tummies, and it would be nice to know which caused what. And yes, it's perfectly normal not to eat freeze dried. You may want to try canned, as they smell more, and might be more inviting. Just remember that anything with chitin(mealies) should always be fed in moderation, as it is hard to digest especially freeze dried.

3) Do you have a proper light timer set for him? For example, I have a regular desk lamp set up to turn on at 8am and off at 9pm. When it turns off, my boy will come out about 15-30 min after the lights flick off. He will wheel till around 11 or 12, then go nap until 3am. And babies do sleep a lot. Are you in the room at night? Do you have tv, computer, some sort of light on? Some hedgies will only come out if there is absolute darkness. Some may be ok with computer lights, my boy was fine with that. But tv light flickers, and will cause many to refuse to come out.

4) We've had hedgie deaths caused by falls of mere 2-4 inches. And we've had miraculous survivals falling from a foot or more. ALL ramps and lofts MUST be enclosed. Their sight and judge of edges suck, so while you think he may be "joyously jumping off" it may actually be that he doesn't see the edge and fall off. Mere few inches CAN break their fragile little bones. So you really should take out the ramp until you have the loft and the ramp fully enclosed.
Immortalia is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-13-2011, 07:50 PM   #3 (permalink)

Thanks for the info, ive been through tons of these forums and this is the first ive heard about waiting to give the treats for 2-4 weeks.

I dont have a timer yet. But i open the blinds to let sunlight in every morning around 730-8. as well as my desk lamp, which i normally turn off by 10pm at the latest. i shoot for 9 as well.
Hes been out when ive had my computer on, so i assumed tv wouldnt bother but the flashing light makes sense so i will be sure to keep it off.

The ramp has been removed also. Thanks for responding so quickly. Dont want Jazz hurting himself.

One more thing: he has woke up a few days around 11 am. So i get him out for a half or so and let him walk around my desk while i read or work. Does being in the light affect them. And when i get him out at night to play with him should i keep him in the dark room or would it be fine to turn the light on or take him to the living room where the light is on.
Ive been afraid to do that because im worried that the change from no light to light will throw his nocturnal thing off.
Thanks again for the info. Gotta keep my lil buddy in tip top condition.

Old 01-13-2011, 11:23 PM   #4 (permalink)

Well the 2-4 weeks is more of a precaution thing. As usually around that time, many people are starting to change their diets as well, to different food. And new food, on top of new treats can cause chaos with their tummies. It just helps ease them into their new home better. Obviously, if nothing else is changing, then you can slowly introduce new treats.

Most people only take them out briefly during the day, to check to make sure there are no overnight injuries. It's not recommended to force your hedgie to stay away during the AM, however, it's reasonable to take your hedgie out during the day, and allow him to sleep and cuddle on you for a short amount of time.

As for taking them out during the evening, most usually have dimmed lights on.
Immortalia is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-13-2011, 11:43 PM   #5 (permalink)

Thanks so much for the info.
And i keep a fleece igloo and hedgie bag on my desk when hes out during the day. so when hes ready to go back to bed i know right away.
Old 01-14-2011, 01:03 AM   #6 (permalink)

Quilly Nelson.

I almost peed my pants.

Welcome to HHC...I was going to say more but Immortalia covered everything...she's goooooood. Enjoy.
Old 01-14-2011, 01:08 AM   #7 (permalink)

Thank You, MissC. =)
Old 01-14-2011, 11:24 AM   #8 (permalink)

Don't really have anything to add here - just would like to say, love your username, our hedgehog is named Quillie Nelson
lillieps is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-14-2011, 12:46 PM   #9 (permalink)
PJM
Rescue

Just wanted to say welcome to HHC & Quilly Nelson is just Adorable!!!

PJM is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in