Fins Feathers and Furs pet shop hedges in brick NJ - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-08-2011, 11:23 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Fins Feathers and Furs pet shop hedges in brick NJ

Have any of you guys experienced these people before? I called them earlier today and they seem knowledgeable...my only concern is that they are a pet shop and their hedges are "shipped in"

Thanks!
hedgehog3333 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-09-2011, 12:54 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: Fins Feathers and Furs pet shop hedges in brick NJ

Most pet shops get their hedgehogs from breeding mills. The hedgehog will most likely be inbred, which can cause illness and a number of genetic disorders. They will not be socialized. Most people on this forum don't advocate getting hedgehogs from pet stores because of this. We don't want to encourage the pet store to continue to stock animals from unethical breeders like mills.

What made them seem knowledgeable to you? Remember that knowledge does not make them responsible pet care givers.

RIP Quigley, I miss you my little grumpus.
hedgielover is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 01-11-2011, 11:05 AM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hedgehog3333
Have any of you guys experienced these people before? I called them earlier today and they seem knowledgeable...my only concern is that they are a pet shop and their hedges are "shipped in"

Thanks!

I just purchased a hedgie from them on December 23, as a gift for my 12 year old and prob as a gift to myself to but, shhhhh, don't tell her. Yes, bad me, I knew they were shipped >:-/ but the breeders around here seemed kinda sketchy to so to the store I went! All I can say is, Thorn, is the GREATEST lil hedgie! He does sleep a lot and poop a lot but they say that's normal for babies. As far as his temperment, he was great from the moment we brought him home. He is both a snuggler and an explorer. He has YET to curl in a ball, not sure he's even EVER done it, other than when he's sleeping. Once in a while when he's sleeping I think he's dreaming bad dreams maybe, idk lol, and he will poke his quills in different directions but he hasn't done awake! I know your not supposed to buy from a store but that is my honest experience. We LOVE Thorn, he's a great addition to our family.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/5372724983/
Dutchy is offline   Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2011, 05:21 PM   #4 (permalink)

Did they happen to tell you where thye came from?
hedgehog3333 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 01-14-2011, 05:20 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hedgehog3333
Did they happen to tell you where thye came from?

Noooo sorry!!

Old 01-14-2011, 05:23 PM   #6 (permalink)

Dutchy, i'm absolutely jealous of your hedgies cage. I wish i had the money and time to build an amazing cage like that!
treehousepie is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 01-14-2011, 05:53 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by treehousepie
Dutchy, i'm absolutely jealous of your hedgies cage. I wish i had the money and time to build an amazing cage like that!

Awe thanks sweets!! All it took was one 8ft by 4ft coroplast (got a lady in jerz to sell it to me for ten bucks) and two boxes of cubes ($25 each)! Really one box and a quarter of the other. Now the fabric.....that was allll WALMART! It was a Christmas present for my oldest, money was tight and I had to try to cut corners wherever possible.

Thanks again for the compliment!

Old 01-14-2011, 06:12 PM   #8 (permalink)

No reputable breeder would sell to a pet store of any type because they want to make sure their babies go to good homes and that they can track any illnesses that could show up.

Hedgehogs in pet stores come from breeding mills and are often inbred. The risk of illness and disease is high and most often hedgehogs from pet stores are anti-social (can be worked on but no guarantee it will become friendly), often don't know the true age of the hedgehog and they are feed horrible food.

You might get lucky and get a baby hedgie that has just come in so it wouldn't be too anti social but these babies that come in are generally 4-5 weeks old which is too young to have been taken away from their moms. Their immune systems suffer from been taken away at an earlier age and you often end up with a sick hedgie later on in their life.

Your best off getting a baby from a reputable breeder and know that the hoglet is healthy, social and is not inbred than risk getting one from a pet store and have hundreds to thousands on dollars worth on medical bills later on and not to mention a hedgie that may never become social.

Breeding first and foremost for Health & Temperament
http://www.hedgehoggrove.com
Up to date News and Photos:
http://www.facebook.com/Hedgehog.Grove

http://www.hhgrescue.com
Facebook Page: http://www.facebook.com/HedgehogGroveRescue
Hedgehog Grove is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 01-21-2011, 02:45 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PapilionRu
No reputable breeder would sell to a pet store of any type because they want to make sure their babies go to good homes and that they can track any illnesses that could show up.

Hedgehogs in pet stores come from breeding mills and are often inbred. The risk of illness and disease is high and most often hedgehogs from pet stores are anti-social (can be worked on but no guarantee it will become friendly), often don't know the true age of the hedgehog and they are feed horrible food.

You might get lucky and get a baby hedgie that has just come in so it wouldn't be too anti social but these babies that come in are generally 4-5 weeks old which is too young to have been taken away from their moms. Their immune systems suffer from been taken away at an earlier age and you often end up with a sick hedgie later on in their life.

Your best off getting a baby from a reputable breeder and know that the hoglet is healthy, social and is not inbred than risk getting one from a pet store and have hundreds to thousands on dollars worth on medical bills later on and not to mention a hedgie that may never become social.
well you should do some research before you speak for anyone. fins feathers and furs uses very reputable breeders and we will never use mills. i would love to shut every mill down cause they hurt our business and sell sick animals and we are fully against that. read our reviews we are a 5 star pet shop and sell the best quality animals around and give a much better guarantee with our animals than any other breeder out there. we also breed some of our own and no never realted. we are a different type of pet shop i rather spend more money on a quality animal and have a peace of mind i put a great animal in a great home and we care about every animal that leaves our store and we actually turn people away from buying if we feel it is not going to a god home and we ask everyone if they ever get rid of the animal they purchase we will gladly take it back. and for your info a lot of so called reputable breeders do inbreed and crossbreed, where we do not ever tolerate that. and any of our customers will tell you as i think on here one already said our hedgies are very social and only fed the best diet we spare no expenses when it come to our animals maybe that is why we are the best and noone ever has had anything but 5 star coomments about fins feathers and furs pet shop
finspetshop is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 01-21-2011, 02:52 PM   #10 (permalink)
Administrator

Do you provide a warrenty against WHS? and also do your animals come with 4 or 5 generation pedigrees? Are all hedgehogs tracked after sale so that any WHS that shows up can be reported? Do you provide the name of the breeder so that new owners can go to them for help if needed? If a hedgehog sold by you comes down with WHS do you accept it back, and replace it with another hedgehog and then car for the hedgie with WHS? Do you provide 24/7 phone support, anytime day or night for the life of the animal?

These are all things that reputable breeders do.

http://www.quillsnthings.webs.com
nikki is offline   Quick reply to this message
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in