Where did you get your hedgehog? - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

Like Tree72Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-13-2014, 10:55 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Where did you get your hedgehog?

Hi guys, just curious about where each of you got your hedgehogs. Breeder, rehome, rescue, pet store? How did you find your baby? Mine keep getting dropped on my lap lol! My friend wanted a hedgehog and had it all set up to get him off a college student. I was supposed to go too, last minute my friend bailed, sooo I took Charlie, who ended up being a girl. She was my best friend! Like a baby, just pokey. She got very sick ended up costing a lot, of course I never regret her but I do regret not knowing more about her.
http://s1370.photobucket.com/user/Je...tml?sort=3&o=0

wandered into a pet store one day, and of course the girls knew me because Charlie came with me everywhere, and the girl showed me howie, my boyfriend offered to take him and the pet store gave him to me for free out of the sheer fact the boy didn't have a great life. He had mites fleas major quill loss and a respiratory infection which the pet store treated completely before letting me take him. (The pet store has a non profit adoption program they only take surenderees, or animals from the shelter, all their profit is based fully on the products they sell.) howie lives with me now and he's a sweetie pie! He was not when we first met. http://s1370.photobucket.com/user/Je...tml?sort=3&o=6

My next was calico, from hedgehogville also offered to me for no fee, he is a special case he's very anti social due to the fact his owner never handled him. He's a good boy, he's just very scared. He's doing well now loves bananas!
http://s1370.photobucket.com/user/Je...tml?sort=3&o=8

My last and my only baby, is holly. She's a little albino girl, from hedgehogville, who I totally fell in love with. I checked the page everyday hoping she would get adopted but she never did, purely because of the fact she has red eyes. While we were picking up calico we heard a loud cry, breeder ran down and came up with a tiny white ball, holly, she said her mom was attacking her, it was all over from there, Chris rolled his eyes and said happy anniversary. Holly is hyper, total nutjob. Can't cuddle at night. http://s1370.photobucket.com/user/Je...tml?sort=3&o=0

I hope my links work!
So that's pretty much it! I'm excited to hear how everyone got their prickle baby!
Charlie's mommy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-13-2014, 11:41 PM   #2 (permalink)

well this is a weird one! about 2 years ago, we were looking in a local pet store. we saw a hedgehog that needed a new home, so we asked how much it was, and the lady told us that they were mean and not really good pets( this place was some what of a non profit pet store, and not a vary good one ). so we decided we didn't really want an animal like that. so we just never really talked about it till this April. my girlfriend had a friend who had one, and said he was the sweetest little thing ever. so for my gfs birthday I decided to get her one since, we both really wanted for so long ( but had are dreams crushed by bad advise ). so I let her pick out one that would need a new home, since we didn't have much knowledge about hedgehogs, or if we found a baby for the right price. we found this beautiful little girl named bell, I'm pretty sure she was 9 months when we got her in April!

http://i1302.photobucket.com/albums/...psjgjjbbbq.jpg

http://i1302.photobucket.com/albums/...psgeltebzv.jpg
tony21 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-13-2014, 11:56 PM   #3 (permalink)

Penny - Around February/March I started researching hedgehogs for my mom's birthday. She adores hedgehogs and always has. I was looking for her originally but at the time she had two geriatric dogs and a special needs chihuahua. We talked about it but decided it wasn't for her. But maybe it was for me. I went looking for a perfect little girl. I really wanted a standard looking hedgehog and a female. Then one day, the breeder, posted this picture of this beautiful female grey hedgehog. I talked to my fiancee and then we put our deposit down. She would be ready in a week. We scrambled to get everything together but when we went to pick her up she was totally worth it. I always wonder. Her siblings, a litter of four, were all picked up by other breeders but she was left behind. She is the sweetest thing in the world. I really think they missed out but it was my gain.

Winter - My surprise early birthday well intentioned badly executed hedgehog. When I got him he barely weighed 80 grams and I have no idea where he came from except for a backyard breeder that's on craigslist every now and then. He was my survivor. He always eats like a champ, took to a wheel with a little nudge and gains weight incredibly fast.

River and Rose - (Happy first birthday River!!!) River and Rose are from Top Quality Hedgehogs in Kentucky. Before we got mister Winter, Shawn and I wanted to adopt a rescue or adult and give a hedgehog a good home. When I saw the girls on the website I knew I had to get them. They were beautiful and looked so sweet. I contacted the breeder and we had them flown in a month ago to the date. I still keep in contact with the breeder and give her updates.
DesireeM81 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2014, 12:16 AM   #4 (permalink)

i found my Tiggy on kijiji being rehomed. The name she came with was Pretzel but I wanted to name her after Beatrix Potter's hedgehog in the story books Mrs. Tiggy Winkle.
My 10 yr old daughter LOVES hedgehogs, even has hedgehog sheets on her bed so this was a delight to her.
I didn't really know much about hedgehogs before getting Tiggy but have caught up and I love her to pieces!
We have had her about a month now and she is about 12 months old.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg h1.jpg (188.6 KB, 16 views)
coffeebean is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-14-2014, 12:31 AM   #5 (permalink)

kijiji. there is no breeders in Sk
luna is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-14-2014, 01:02 AM   #6 (permalink)

I bought Lily from Dream Flower Meadows up in NC. I remember watching the baby list on the website everyday until the end of August in 2011 (when I could get her) and praying that she wouldn't be sold. She was the only hedgie left at the end of August, and so I felt so lucky when I was able to get her. She was such a sweet and trusting girl. Obviously they saved the best for last

6-23-11 ~ 8-18-14
lilythehedgie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-14-2014, 01:59 AM   #7 (permalink)

My friend rescued a hedgehog and discovered she couldn't really handle her biting and huffing, so she gave her to me. She has a lot of trust issues, but she's coming around.
Old 09-14-2014, 10:51 AM   #8 (permalink)

For my current three: one is a rehome, one comes from a breeder, and the third one is a rescue who was found in someone's garden.

Draenog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-14-2014, 11:03 AM   #9 (permalink)

Sebastian came from a pet store. Titan is a rehome from this forum. The rest... well the old Chinese guy did tell us to not get Sebastian wet. Thank goodness we haven't fed her after midnight...
Nancy, MomLady, ENF686 and 5 others like this.

gracefulchaos01 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-14-2014, 05:05 PM   #10 (permalink)

Oh well now, that's a fun story.

I hadn't had a pet in about a decade. Apartment living does that to you. And I was seriously jonesing for a critter to love. I grew up totally in love with Sonic the Hedgehog so I thought I would check out hedgehogs to see if they would be a good pet for me.

Turns out they sounded fairly ideal. I'm fairly nocturnal myself, so a late night pet that wasn't going to be missing me while I work during the day sounded great. While I was researching a friend of mine became enamored with the idea of me having one. So she said she would buy one for me. I had to talk her out of it since I couldn't have pets in the apartment, so she decided that once I got a house she would get me a hedgehog.

Fast forward a couple of years and my husband and I bought our first house. Coincidentally, the friend who wanted to buy the hedgehog for me had moved to a nearby city that has the only USDA licensed breeder in the state. Or at least the only one I found. So after having been in the house a couple of months she asked me when I wanted my new friend. After that we coordinated with each other and the breeder and a few months later my little baby Nico came home.
shinydistraction is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in