Where did you get your hedgehog? - Page 3 - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

Like Tree72Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-18-2014, 06:01 PM   #21 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MomLady View Post
Nara came from Gail at Millermeade Farms, AKA the critter connection. It was 4 years ago September 1.

Gail does a LOT of educating in person and on her website. She lets you handle several so you can pick out the one that you like best--I was going to say the one that likes you, but there is no such animal.

Gracefulchaos, you are on to something--don't get them wet, don't feed them after midnight and NO BRIGHT LIGHTS!

ML
<3 Gail.
The morning after Sebastian gave birth, she answered the phone. It made all the difference in the world. Plus before we ever got Sebastian her website was where I learned all the "intro to hedgehogs" stuff.

Last edited by gracefulchaos01; 09-18-2014 at 06:04 PM.
gracefulchaos01 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-18-2014, 06:12 PM   #22 (permalink)

I assume Gail's herd initials are MMF ? If so, I wouldn't have Nikki if it wasn't for her. I was looking at Nikki's pedigree and she has 7 hogs on it all the way up to great great great grand parents.

I agree she has great info on her web page
CoffeeKat and gracefulchaos01 like this.
ellisrks01 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-18-2014, 08:26 PM   #23 (permalink)
Super Moderator

I got Lily from Gail as well. She was so nice & helpful, and my mom & I spent at least an hour at her house learning about hedgehogs and handling the available babies. Lily came home with me because she was the one who fell asleep in my hand. If I were going to get another breeder baby, I'd probably go back to Gail! My plan is to rescue from here on out though, so future hedgies will have all kinds of stories!
CoffeeKat and ellisrks01 like this.

RIP my sweet Lily ~ 6/12/08 - 1/20/12
Lilysmommy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2014, 09:44 PM   #24 (permalink)

Not to push a breeder or anything but she does a great job. Have any of you seen her recent Facebook advertising campaign? It's brilliant. And backed with her and her team I'm pretty sure everyone is doing really well over there. Even though she is like 12 hours away, I am pretty sure she is who we are going to if we decide to buy again.
But Kelsey is right. There is a lot to be said for rescues and rehomes right in my backyard. Barring extravagant vet bills.

gracefulchaos01 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-18-2014, 10:11 PM   #25 (permalink)
Hooked on Hogs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie's mommy View Post
Oh my god someone let a hedgehog loose on the street? In canada? Nancy your not too far from me, poor little buggers must have been cold!
My new foster boy who is now named Herbie, and Samson were both on the streets when the weather was in the 60's at night. Years ago I got a little boy from Sherbrooke Quebec who was found in the woods by hunters during hunting season. I have no clue how he survived in 40 & 50F weather. He was one lucky little guy. The only reason he was seen is because he was albino.

Retired from breeding

Rescue contact for both the Hedgehog Welfare Society and the IHA
Rescued over 70 (and counting) hedgehogs needing a new home

http://freewebs.com/thehedgieden/
Nancy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-18-2014, 10:12 PM   #26 (permalink)

Yes, I too have decided that my next hedgehog (s) would be used instead of new. The problem is, I want to rescue them all. I haven't begun to add to my collection yet, because I know I have the potential to be "that crazy hedgehog lady".
Old 09-18-2014, 10:21 PM   #27 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Same problem, Kat! Just wait until I'm moved out & have a vet fund built up...Nothing will stop me!

RIP my sweet Lily ~ 6/12/08 - 1/20/12
Lilysmommy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-18-2014, 10:54 PM   #28 (permalink)

Percival came from a breeder in Tuscaloosa, AL, Tranquill Hedgies. My husband and I had followed her website now and then for a few years and occasionally we'd look at the available babies and think about getting a hedgehog. We finally agreed to go for it and opted for the breeder because she seemed really good about socializing her hedgies and really seemed to care about the home they're given. She's also a grad student in biology and so I liked that she had a scientific interest in their genetics and breeding too, it just added to my love of mild nerdiness. I also like that the breeder could fill us in on Percival's personality and temperament so we could be more prepared. As a result I think we lucked out on a really sweet hedgehog!
CoffeeKat likes this.
pricklypear is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-19-2014, 12:39 AM   #29 (permalink)

I have great respect and admiration for all that have rescued hedgies--I can't believe someone would release a hedgehog into the wild anywhere.
The Global Exotics rescue was right before my introduction to pet hedgehogs. Reading stories about everyone working together to rescue and relocate all those poor hedgies warms my heart--kudos to all that were involved. Unfortunately, not too many of the Tweeds are still around.
Thanks!
Nancy, Lilysmommy and CoffeeKat like this.
MomLady is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-23-2014, 09:22 PM   #30 (permalink)

I got Punk from a USDA breeder here in Florida (Beachbum Hedgehogs) as a late 18th birthday present. I figured that buying a baby for my would be better for me instead of getting an adult off of Craigslist because I would have more of a chance of getting a hedgehog that had a good temperament and was healthy.

Hyde stomped his way into my life, and heart, 3 months ago after a friend asked for help clipping his toenails. When they decided they didn't have the time to properly take care of him, I immediately volunteered to take him
ENF686 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in