What to look for in buying a hedgehog? - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-03-2011, 01:52 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default What to look for in buying a hedgehog?

Been researching hedgehog's for over a year now. Spoken with a few owners and now I've finally decided to take the leap of faith and get my own little friend. I've got an enclosure built (plastic tub for now) and heating coming in the mail this week along with fleece fabric. Purchasing a Carolina Storm wheel tomorrow. I've located a breeder here in Dallas. What things do I need to look for when purchasing a baby hedgie?

I've checked out the breeders home, how she raises the hogs, what food their on, independent blood lines from the parents. I just want to make sure that I'm picking a good home to get her/him from and a good hedgie. The hedgie will be 6 weeks when I get him/her. I didn't find any posts about this topic so if you have any to reference that would work great as well. I'll get pictures up as soon as they are available
acedude4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-03-2011, 02:20 AM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: What to look for in buying a hedgehog?

I only have 2 so I don't have a ton of experience but I can share what I looked for. Clear looking eyes, their nose to make sure it didn't look runny, condition of their skin, ears to make sure they didn't look tattered, their feet. Some of these things may not make a final decision but they were all things I was looking over. You could check out the feet too if the hedgie lets you because if you notice the nails are long the breeder may be willing to let you sit with her when she trims them and then you will get to see how its done and it won't be a stressful thing for you to worry about right off the bat while the hedgie is settling in. Its great that you have already got to check out the place and see how they are being kept
Old 01-03-2011, 09:55 AM   #3 (permalink)

Well, sounds to me like you've already done your research which is great! Hedgieonboard already mentioned the important health appearance stuff. The only other thing that comes to mind is the bit I learned while getting mine a few weeks ago. Check the critter's temperment. The breeder I got mine from had a cage of 5 from the same litter. The first male she picked up immediately curled into a ball, huffed up a storm, and refused to come out of it. When she put him back down he walked around with his brow spines raised. The second male just furrowed his brow for a few seconds then became incredibly inquisitive. No huffing. No squirming. Nothing.

Let the breeder handle a few of them and see how they react to being handled. Chances are some of them will raise a fuss over it (who likes being shuffled around while they're trying to sleep?). See how long (and if) they take to calm down and leave their ball and how they behave after that. This should give you a better idea of their personality and how they'll eventually interact with you. Chances are you don't want one that's a grump the whole time.
Nebular is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2011, 11:35 PM   #4 (permalink)

Thanks y'all. I appreciate it and look forward to this weekend when she get's to come home. Thanks!
acedude4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in