Like Tree13Likes
  • 1 Post By Lilysmommy
  • 2 Post By gracefulchaos01
  • 1 Post By Lilysmommy
  • 1 Post By gracefulchaos01
  • 5 Post By Melanie G.
  • 3 Post By CoffeeKat

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-08-2014, 07:49 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Do hedgies get bored?

Just a weirdo question- do our little hedgie friends get sick and tired of the same cage set up and yearn for something different? Or do they like the same 'ol same 'oil with no changes? Kind of like when we humanoids rearrange furniture for a change or paint a room. Just wondering your thoughts....
Pandamom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-08-2014, 07:58 PM   #2 (permalink)
Super Moderator

I think it depends on the hedgehog. I could see some that are very active & curious possibly enjoying a little switch-up in what toys are in their cage or where things are. You can make things more fun for these hedgehogs by moving their food around, putting food in a few different bowls so they finish one bowl & have to forage around to find more, or by hiding treats in the cage.

There are hedgehogs that don't like change and can get stressed out though. They might eat less or trash their cage to show their displeasure with the change. Usually they're pretty clear about their messages. If you do want to give it a try with your hedgehog, try just one change at a time & see how your hedgie reacts. Make sure you keep an eye on running behavior and food eaten (especially if you split up food or move it around) to make sure they're still eating enough. I would also make sure you change things up mainly when the cage has been lived in for a couple days - slightly dirty bedding, so everything still smells like your hedgie. As long as everything smells like home still, that may help get a better reaction to having some of the toys or furniture switched up a bit. Changing things the same night you clean the whole cage could cause some panic, thinking their home is suddenly gone or moved.
Pandamom likes this.

RIP my sweet Lily ~ 6/12/08 - 1/20/12
Lilysmommy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-08-2014, 08:11 PM   #3 (permalink)

Umm... oops? Good thing my kids are resilient....
Lilysmommy and SarahH like this.

gracefulchaos01 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2014, 08:25 PM   #4 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Some are very tolerant to it, it really just depends! If anyone does already change things regularly and the hedgehog has no problem, obviously that's fine. I just know I've heard of a few hedgehogs that get very upset when anything is changed, even small things. Lily never minded my messing around with her cage either, I changed her furniture once in a while, added in new decorations, hid treats around, etc. She was easy-going in general though, I got lucky.
sheap likes this.

RIP my sweet Lily ~ 6/12/08 - 1/20/12
Lilysmommy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-08-2014, 08:53 PM   #5 (permalink)

Now I'm wondering if that may be why Tiberius has been such a grump. He loves his new wheel and runs on it every night. But his attitude lately has been super grumpy. No cuddles, fight to get him out of the cage for pen time, random other challenges. And it's always worse right after cage cleanings. Plus I think Titan smell doesn't help.
Lilysmommy likes this.

Old 09-08-2014, 08:58 PM   #6 (permalink)

I have two hedgehogs. I was feeling guilty that they were probably board with the same toys and cage set up. So I changed things up and got two very different responses.
Lucy didn't seem to mind too much. She moved the toys and I didn't notice any behaviour changes.
Gretta trashed her cage the first night and moved things around. She pulled out her blanket and moved it to the corner she usually sleeps in and slept there despite her igloo was in a different spot. She also took her other blanket and dumped it in her water dish.
So, yeah, depends on the hedgehog.
Old 09-08-2014, 09:06 PM   #7 (permalink)

Tiberius has moved as much of his fleece as he can and taken up semi permanent residence under his wheel. With the comfort wheel he would stay in one corner or the center of his cage. Now... sigh. Maybe I should give him his igloo back or something. Maybe he is feeling over exposed. But we took the igloos out ages ago, long before Titan came. At least he's bot bored. Just a super grump.

Old 09-09-2014, 01:16 AM   #8 (permalink)

I thought my hedgie was becoming less and less active out of boredom. So I gave her a huge cage with lots of toys and a better wheel. After a short time she stopped running, so I switched up her cage arrangement every night. She still refuses to run except for maybe a few days out of every few weeks. Her running has never been all night every night, but at least when she was little it was for a couple hours most nights-- but she has gradually wheeled less and less to almost nothing and I'm very worried!
TikkiLink is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-09-2014, 11:04 AM   #9 (permalink)

TikkiLink, I started a new thread about this very subject...come on over and discuss it.

LuLu likes to have her "things" remain in the same place, but she's curious about new things like baseball hats, paper bags, and new obstacles in her playpen. These things can be introduced, removed or moved around without issue but the basics need to stay. She gets confused easily and has the attention span of a cabbage

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in