Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

Like Tree15Likes
  • 7 Post By Echo of November
  • 1 Post By MandyA
  • 3 Post By Echo of November
  • 1 Post By gracefulchaos01
  • 3 Post By Brittany

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-04-2014, 11:33 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Prickly kisses!

I got Wally, my 8-month-old boy, three weeks ago today. He hadn't received much attention, no bonding time, and his cage, besides being way too small, lacked any kind of stimulation. He was housed on newspaper and did not have an igloo or any kind of hiding place other than an over-sized stuffed frog toy that he hid under, according to the previous owner. My husband showed me a picture of him on a for-sale site, and right away, something clicked. But yes, I have to admit it was totally a spur-of-the-moment, impulsive decision.

I researched the heck out of hedgehogs once I had him, and within days he was in a better cage with better amenities, so to speak. But he remained huffy and scared, and I sometimes wondered if he would ever realize that I didn't mean to hurt him, but that I love him and will do whatever it takes to enable him to be a happy, healthy hedgehog.

Tonight I had him in one of his bonding pouches, placed high up on my chest, like every evening. I love those evenings. I sit back and watch something on Netflix, I pet him through the fleece, rub his tummy and his sides, and talk to him. And for the first time, he snuggled up under my chin. Like, snuggled up TO it. I waited for a second and (yeah, this sounds soooo corny!) gave him a wee kiss on his cheek.

He didn't huff.

I sat there, stunned. Then I did it again. No huffing. I was totally tickled pink, and for the first time I thought, "You know what? He's all right. He's happy. He's doing well." And he just let me cuddle with him, and snuggle, and smooch. He nuzzled my chin. (Insert mental picture of yours truly floating on cloud 9 while holding a wee hedgehog).

To all you seasoned hedgie owners, this may sound rather silly .
To all you newbies with huffy, popping, growling (yes, they growl! Who knew, right?) hedgies, this may just give you the incentive to keep going. Keep loving on them. Keep ignoring the huffing while still respecting their limits. Keep trying to bond. Because you know what? If and when it bears fruit, it is amazing!

Keep calm and lower your expectations

Echo of November is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-04-2014, 11:53 PM   #2 (permalink)

Aww how sweet. Shilo and I were bonding well , Ive had her a week, and last night she started huffing and jumping at me again. Its like one step forward, two steps back with her.
Echo of November likes this.
Born July 2, 2014.
MandyA is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-05-2014, 12:00 AM   #3 (permalink)

Mandy, if I'm not mistaken, Shilo is very likely to be quilling. I know how sad and frustrated you must be feeling, I really do, but your girl is just a wee baby and she will get through this! She needs you to be the consistent factor. The one that is there no matter what. If she's quilling, she's uncomfortable and doesn't know what to do about it. Keep doing what you're doing! I'm sure there's loads of more experienced owners on here that will be able to give you advice on how to deal with quilling hedgies. The only thing I can advise you to do, is keep on keeping on. You can do it, and so can she! *Hugs to both of you*
CoffeeKat, DesireeM81 and MandyA like this.

Keep calm and lower your expectations

Echo of November is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2014, 06:45 AM   #4 (permalink)

That is awesome Echo.
Echo of November likes this.

gracefulchaos01 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-07-2014, 11:38 AM   #5 (permalink)

My guy is still a bit huffy, I think it is just his personality lol. For some reason if i hold him at stomach level he is a little nervous, but when I hold him near my face or higher he is fine? (I was thinking if he is too low he cannot see what is above him too well and is afraid of predators or something).

I give him Eskimo kisses (nose to nose) because hedgies can carry salmonella and even though I doubt he has it, I do not want to get anything in my mouth lol, and he doesnt mind!

Brittany is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
bonding, bonding bag, huffing, newbies

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in