For the love of gravy, the SMELL! - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

Like Tree7Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-04-2014, 03:10 PM   #1 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Beautiful Lake Michigan
Posts: 16
Default For the love of gravy, the SMELL!

OK, now, Miss Pickles is just about the cutest little girl you've ever seen... but that smell!
  • She does not designate any particular area for her potty needs (and we got her older, so I doubt she ever will. Currently 1 yr old).
  • She poops on her flying saucer like a first class hail storm every night. I was it every day if I can.
  • She has paper bedding - I've used Carefresh & SunSeed (I think?). They both stink, but one is a whole lot softer.
  • We scoop the poops out of the paper bedding daily and replace it all weekly.
  • She's been on the same food since birth. A F.R.O.M.M. cat food. No changes. I haven't found a single "treat" yet that she has any interest in. We have had her about 7 months now.

I think that's the details. I don't use any other "odor" sprays or anything. Pickles herself gets a weekly swim and nail trim as needed.

I have seen many of you use some sort of cloth? or perhaps a puppy wee wee pad of sorts at the bottom of your cage? Does this work better? Do you change it daily?


Help. My house is very small, and Pickles is in my son's room. You can honestly smell it throughout the house the very day after a full cleaning. LOL Stinky little cuteness....
_Miss_Pickles_ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 09-04-2014, 04:06 PM   #2 (permalink)
Administrator
 
nikki's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Manning, Alberta, Canada
Posts: 8,435
Default

Many people use cloth liners for their hedgies. These can be as simple as a piece of fleece folded to fit the cage to liners that are sewn with flannel on the top, fleece on the bottom and some have an absorbent middle layer. They need to be spot cleaned daily and changed and washed once or twice a week. You can also put a litter pan under the wheel to catch what falls off of it and clean it daily when you clean the wheel. That often helps with the smell.
__________________
Retired breeder and active HWS rescue station

http://www.quillsnthings.webs.com
nikki is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-04-2014, 04:12 PM   #3 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Beautiful Lake Michigan
Posts: 16
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikki View Post
Many people use cloth liners for their hedgies. These can be as simple as a piece of fleece folded to fit the cage to liners that are sewn with flannel on the top, fleece on the bottom and some have an absorbent middle layer. They need to be spot cleaned daily and changed and washed once or twice a week. You can also put a litter pan under the wheel to catch what falls off of it and clean it daily when you clean the wheel. That often helps with the smell.
Thank you! I suppose it can't hurt to try!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20140402_233434_resized.jpg (436.7 KB, 11 views)
_Miss_Pickles_ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-04-2014, 04:27 PM   #4 (permalink)
Administrator
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Michigan
Posts: 3,415
Default

Is this a new thing, or has she always been smelly? And which variety of Fromm? I've heard game bird can cause some wicked nasty stool odors for some hedgehogs.
nikki and _Miss_Pickles_ like this.
Kalandra is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-04-2014, 04:31 PM   #5 (permalink)
Hooked on Hogs
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Kingston, Ontario
Posts: 8,950
Default

Has she always smelled this bad or is this something new? Just to mention, humidity and hedgehog poop do not mix. When it's humid, they stink far quicker and far worse than when its not humid.

If this is a new smell, I'd consider a vet check and take a fecal sample with you to check to see if she has anything going on in her intestines.

Some foods make them smell far worse than other foods and it can be individual to the hedgehog.

Scooping poops daily and weekly cage cleaning may not be often enough for her and a total cage cleaning more frequently might help.

nikki likes this.
__________________
* * * Nancy * * *

Retired from breeding

Rescue contact for both the Hedgehog Welfare Society and the IHA
Rescued over 70 (and counting) hedgehogs needing a new home


http://freewebs.com/thehedgieden/
Nancy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-04-2014, 04:43 PM   #6 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Beautiful Lake Michigan
Posts: 16
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalandra View Post
Is this a new thing, or has she always been smelly? And which variety of Fromm? I've heard game bird can cause some wicked nasty stool odors for some hedgehogs.
*gasp* Always... And it IS the gamebird! I can attempt to switch that to a different kind.
_Miss_Pickles_ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-04-2014, 04:45 PM   #7 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Beautiful Lake Michigan
Posts: 16
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy View Post
Has she always smelled this bad or is this something new? Just to mention, humidity and hedgehog poop do not mix. When it's humid, they stink far quicker and far worse than when its not humid.

If this is a new smell, I'd consider a vet check and take a fecal sample with you to check to see if she has anything going on in her intestines.

Some foods make them smell far worse than other foods and it can be individual to the hedgehog.

Scooping poops daily and weekly cage cleaning may not be often enough for her and a total cage cleaning more frequently might help.

I live in Wisconsin where it was 80% humidity last week. I am so screwed *LOL*

Always smelled like this, though! I think I will try a blanket/cloth down, and slowly transfer to a new food just to see if that helps.

What foods do you all recommend?
_Miss_Pickles_ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-04-2014, 04:47 PM   #8 (permalink)
Member
 
ellisrks01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 359
Default

You can also try and put a open box of baking soda in the room, it's suppose to help kill odors. I do it in my hedgies room and just change it out once a month.
_Miss_Pickles_ likes this.
ellisrks01 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-04-2014, 04:48 PM   #9 (permalink)
Administrator
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Michigan
Posts: 3,415
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Miss_Pickles_ View Post
*gasp* Always... And it IS the gamebird! I can attempt to switch that to a different kind.
I had a feeling. A good friend of mine tried it and said it absolutely made her whole apartment stink. She found that once she reduced the amount provided of that variety the smell went away. She has used the other Fromm varieties without any issues, it seemed to be just the game bird that did it. Find another food to mix in and I bet you will be fine.
_Miss_Pickles_ likes this.
Kalandra is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-04-2014, 06:14 PM   #10 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Beautiful Lake Michigan
Posts: 16
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalandra View Post
I had a feeling. A good friend of mine tried it and said it absolutely made her whole apartment stink. She found that once she reduced the amount provided of that variety the smell went away. She has used the other Fromm varieties without any issues, it seemed to be just the game bird that did it. Find another food to mix in and I bet you will be fine.
I'm floored. I'm headed to the pet store. Thanks everyone
_Miss_Pickles_ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in




Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
smell emshedgehogs Housing & Accessories 12 06-08-2018 10:32 AM
smell vbno1 Health 14 04-13-2011 03:59 AM
i love my new hedgie, will she ever love me? ronnieJ Hedgehog Personality and Behaviour 1 12-13-2010 10:52 PM
Pet Gravy: what is it? rtc Diet and Nutrition 3 03-13-2010 01:25 PM
Smell LinzardB General Questions 6 12-04-2008 08:49 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:50 AM.



Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.1
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
PetGuide.com
Basset Hound Forum Doberman Forum Golden Retriever Forum Beagle Forum
Boxer Forum Dog Forum Pit Bull Forum Poodle Forum
Bulldog Forum Fish Forum Havanese Forum Maltese Forum
Cat Forum German Shepherd Forum Labradoodle Forum Yorkie Forum Hedgehog Forum
Chihuahua Forum Retriever Breeds Cichlid Forum Dart Frog Forum Mice Breeder Forum