Baby!!!! Baby is coming home! - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

Like Tree9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-03-2014, 12:41 PM   #1 (permalink)
Banned

Exclamation Baby!!!! Baby is coming home!

AHHH I am picking up the little potato this weekend! This is 2 whole weeks ahead of schedule! I have pretty much everything I need except a base for her wheel, if anyone has a tutorial on how to make a pvc stand for a carolina storm bucket wheel I would greatly greatly Appreciate it! I have her cage set up, snuggle sack, liners, igloo, big cage with holes drilled, carrier and matching pouch set for picking her up in, heating elements, thermometers, thermostat, food, bowls, emergency first aid kit, water bottle for her (the breeder uses water bottles so I got one for her to use, I am going to offer both bowl and bottle to see if she prefers one to the other), blankies, worms, Olive's favorite baby food, and Aveno baby oatmeal eczema bath and vitamin e oil for baths.... Is there anything else that I would need specifically for a baby? I have only had grown up rescues and never a wee one! Anything extra you would recommend? I have everything a grown hedgehog could ever possibly need AND THEN SOME! Also, the breeder uses a carefresh like substrate and I use fleece liners so I bought some substrate, should I change her right away and bring her home to the fleece or should I slowly transition, I would really prefer to do fleece because I monitor bathroom habits and like to be able to see where they are going, what their urine color looks like, and easily spot poops and food messes that need to be cleaned up. OMG happy happy happy danceee!!! Can't wait to meet her, the names I will be choosing from are Violet because Olive, Saffron (mom), and Onyx (dad) are all colors, Willow/Willa, Evie, Lily (short for Lilith which means of night because she is black), Leila or Layla(meaning dark as well), or Delphina which means little flower!
AlexLovesOlive is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-03-2014, 01:13 PM   #2 (permalink)

Congrats on the little one! You must be so excited. It sounds like you pretty much have everything you need.

Are you getting some food from the breeder? Do you have some kitten food for her to transition to?

I would go ahead and switch to fleece liners now, might as well do all the changes at once. What are you going to put in the litter box?

She sounds like a lucky little girl going to a great home.
MomLady is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-03-2014, 04:43 PM   #3 (permalink)

Sometimes it can help to take a handful that the bedding that she is currently in and bring it home with you to put in the cage so she has something familiar to smell.

Old 09-03-2014, 05:06 PM   #4 (permalink)
Banned

The blanket the mom had in her cage she is cutting up and sending a part home with every baby, so I don't think I will need the bedding for smell. I am going to transition her from the breeders food to Blue Buffalo Basics limited ingredient Kitten formula. And yes she is sending food home with me. Don't they all send the food home?
Old 09-03-2014, 05:21 PM   #5 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Not all breeders do, unfortunately. Good ones do though, or make sure the owner plans to get the same food. I like the idea of cutting mom's blanket up so each baby can have a piece too. Congrats on getting the new arrival even sooner than you thought!

RIP my sweet Lily ~ 6/12/08 - 1/20/12
Lilysmommy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-03-2014, 05:25 PM   #6 (permalink)

My breeder didn't send me home with food but I figured it out. Also, it could help to get some water from your breeder's home to give your baby for the first few days, just to help minimize any tummy issues from bringing your new baby home. Just bring a water bottle and fill it up with the water your breeder gives the babies
Lilysmommy and MomLady like this.

lilsurfergrlsp is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-03-2014, 05:32 PM   #7 (permalink)
Banned

Okay thanks for the water thing! That's a good idea. And I like the blanket idea as well! When I switched Olive from her old cage the blanket inside was covered in feces and just was horrible! I still cut a small corner that was the most clean to put in her new cage to make her feel better because everything that was in her cage was either dangerous or dirty beyond salvage. Olive had a full exam with her hibernation attempt a week ago and I had fecal smear, blood panel, and pretty much EVERY test done, all came out clean and she is in good health, we think she must have hibernated before I got her which is why she tried to hibernate again at 73 and must be kept at 80 for the rest of her life, and the babies are completely clean, the breeder only has a couple pairs of hedgehogs and they are all her own personal pets and have completely clean bills of health and momma and daddy had all the tests done before they were bred (all actually did because all 3 females had babies in the same week!) so do you think I still need to quarantine? She said that she didn't think it was necessary? It would just be a WHOLE lot easier to keep them both in the same room because the Room Olive is in has no open vents to cause drafts, is kept exactly at 80 degrees all of the time, and has lots of natural sunlight during the day and black out drapes at night which keep it DARK! Do you think I should keep a chart on her eating, pooing, and weight?
Old 09-03-2014, 07:32 PM   #8 (permalink)

The quarantine is up to you really. You can see how it goes for the first week and then decide. When I got Winter, he had a full quarantine because I had no idea where he had been. With the girls they only had a two week quarantine and that was mainly because they had vet check up before they left and seemed perfectly healthy. I have had no problems.

I keep track of everyone's food intake on a daily basis, I weigh the fatty Rose and the one who won't eat River on a daily basis and do weekly weigh ins for the other two. I also have a section on my records to notice anything unusual. Normally this is where I notice green poopy or less poopy etc. It's up to you how much you want to track. With a baby, keeping track of weight and food is especially good with the transition, after that you can always reduce how often you track certain things.

Congrats again. I can't wait to see picture of her!
DesireeM81 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-03-2014, 07:43 PM   #9 (permalink)

I would keep a chart of her habits just to be safe. I was hoping you'd post soon, little sad how excited I am considering we don't even live in the same country get ready for the quilling girl, first day home I got one though the foot.
Charlie's mommy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-03-2014, 08:01 PM   #10 (permalink)

I'm glad to see you posting again too, Alex. I vote Delphina! Also, when I tried the switch from carefresh to fleece, I tried to do both. But honestly the kids all just went right for the fleece and ignored the carefresh.
In the early postings of the pet journal are a lot of my recollections of the babes when they were still teeny. Maybe they will give some ideas. I wasn't nearly as knowledgeable as you, but my whole array came through pretty ok

gracefulchaos01 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in