Please share an ah-ha moment or something you wish... - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-19-2010, 06:23 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Please share an ah-ha moment or something you wish...

you had known when you got your hedgie. I know this board is loaded with tons of great information about food, heating, cage set-ups, etc., but some of the best things I've learned from you all are the quirks I might expect from my hedgie.

With all the newbies (and Christmas coming), this might be of great help and full of ittle tidbits of fun.

My best lesson learned here:

After waking the piggy up from a long day's nap having some snuggle time and then putting her back to bed, I've found that going back to her and cleaning her cage after about an hour of dark really cuts down on the poopy boots, smell and mess.

She gets on her wheel, does a few laps, poops and pees and then I can come in and get it all while it's fresh. It's made for a much fresher and cleaner place for her.

Love!

Priscilla AKA "Hissy Pants"
abrowndog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-24-2010, 07:45 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: Please share an ah-ha moment or something you wish...

I just got my little baby hedgie about a week ago now and I've discovered that Lazlo is much calmer and more adventurous when hanging out with him in the dark. I usually hang out with him in low lighting but the other night I was holding him while watching a movie in the dark and he was definitely more curious an wiggly. He usually just naps when I take him out. May have nothing to do with the dark, as I just got him and he's getting more and more comfortable everyday but it was amazing the difference in his behavior so I definitely think this helped.
smoke_rings is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-24-2010, 08:10 PM   #3 (permalink)

So glad someone chimed in! I was feeling like such a loser. I'm noticing the same now. The lower the light, the more responsive she is.

Priscilla AKA "Hissy Pants"
abrowndog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2010, 08:38 PM   #4 (permalink)

Our first hedgie, Col. Mustard, is such a sweetheart and has never shown any sign of aggression. A couple of weeks ago we adopted Pete and she would always try to bite us, and I felt kinda lost not knowing what to do... Well, I decide to try what Nancy had said and offer her food, and then I figured that she was biting because she was hungry! She still tries to nibble at us whenever she smells something different, but the aggressive bites are gone.
Old 12-26-2010, 07:20 AM   #5 (permalink)

I just got my first hedgie on friday but I learned that when you build a C&C cage, don't use the grids from target. The gribs are 8 squares by 8 squares and my little girl learned she could climb the coroplast and squeeze her body through the squares within two hours of being in the cage It was pretty depressing to tear the cage down after hours of hard work.
bnk28 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-26-2010, 10:04 AM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnk28
I just got my first hedgie on friday but I learned that when you build a C&C cage, don't use the grids from target. The gribs are 8 squares by 8 squares and my little girl learned she could climb the coroplast and squeeze her body through the squares within two hours of being in the cage It was pretty depressing to tear the cage down after hours of hard work.
I got the grids from Target and the package comes with two kinds of grids, one with smaller squares and one with bigger squares. You can use the smaller ones for the walls althought it's always a good idea to make a high coroplast wall. I made mine with 9" walls, there's no scape!
Old 12-26-2010, 06:19 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by susanaproenca
Quote:
Originally Posted by bnk28
I got the grids from Target and the package comes with two kinds of grids, one with smaller squares and one with bigger squares. You can use the smaller ones for the walls althought it's always a good idea to make a high coroplast wall. I made mine with 9" walls, there's no scape!
I did use the smaller grids! haha. And I put coroplast more then half way up the sides too. She managed to climb it somehow?? And fit her little body through the squares.
Old 12-26-2010, 06:39 PM   #8 (permalink)

Oh, those little climbers... I built mine with 9" walls, but Mustard is a small hog. I'm gonna start building Pete a C&C cage, and I'm thinking I'll have to put Coroplast all the way up to the top, she's such a climber.
Old 12-27-2010, 07:17 AM   #9 (permalink)

Maybe I'll try it again down the road when she gets a little bigger and I know she wont fit through. Next time I'll do coroplast all the way up too
Old 12-27-2010, 09:30 AM   #10 (permalink)

Something I've learned is that practicing syringe feeding is not only helpful in case hedgie gets sick but also a good way to give treats during bonding time. This is the only way Quigley will eat his baby food. It's really cute to watch him eat and it really helped us now that he is sick; we both know the syringe feeding routine so he takes food and medicine much easier from the syringe.

RIP Quigley, I miss you my little grumpus.
hedgielover is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in