Hedgehog Central banner

Are pet stores ever appropriate?

1K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  GothicBreena 
#1 ·
Hey guys :)! I've been thinking lately, & I really think a hedgehog is right for me... But I have an issue: breeders. I cannot find one on the UAE, but most pet stores will have them. Is it ever appropriate to get a hedgehog from a pet store? I'd appreciate all opinions here :D

#2 ·
In my opinion it all depends on your circumstances. If you just don't have a breeder and you must have a hedgehog I would go for it.
My Sebastian is from a pet store and I couldn't ask for a more sweet or lovable hedgehog. That said I know nothing about her history, potential health issues, or estimated life expectancy. And to top it off, she came to me very pregnant.
So... there is risk.

#5 ·
You can research the pet store, my pet store only takes in rescues, surenderees, or sick animals so they don't support backyard breeders, that's where I got howie from, they actually gave him to me for free just cause they knew how spoiled Charlie was. They treated him for mites, fleas and a uri. So in my opinion they are appropriate depending on the store. Of course you can never know the history like grace said but I don't regret howie

#7 ·
I got Benny from a pet store, and he's a gem. But the pet store had a girl who knew a few people with hedgehogs so he was well taken care of.

But I evho not knowing his health or history and the risks associated with it.

If you get one from a pet store try and find one where they are well taken care of and knowledgable, not taking crap care. That way you know the hog they get to replace the one you but is taken well care of.

#8 ·
When buying from a pet store, be prepared for a vet visit very soon after getting hedgie. Many pet store hedgehogs either have an upper respiratory infection or develop one within the first week or two after purchase. It's extremely common so, have a vet lined up just in case your new baby ends up sick.

#10 · (Edited)
I got my boy knuckles from the pet store a little over two weeks ago and I love him to bits! He is so well behaved and loves being held and cuddles. He's the sweetest Hedgie I could of ever asked for. Only thing I noticed between him and my adopted Hedgie was because knuckles was in a pet store for the first few months of his life, he's five months old.. But because of the lights and people coming in and out of the store, knuckles will come out a lot during the day for attention. He loves to play at night but he also loves coming out during the day light regardless of how bright it is in the room. My other hedgehog comes out mainly at night and runs a marathon on his wheel, eats, and does his bathroom business..

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.