2 Quick questions for hog owners - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-17-2010, 01:25 PM   #1 (permalink)

Unhappy 2 Quick questions for hog owners

Hello,
I am doing preparations (making the cage..etc) and gathering supplies before I actually get a HH and have two questions for experienced owners so that I can ensure I do what will make my pet the happiest possible.

1. I am going to the make the cage myself like I do for all my small animals. I was wondering if bigger = better for hedgehogs? I know that for my dwarf hammies they dont like too much room because it makes them feel insecure, however my rats prefer a lot of room so they can run around and explore..burn energy..etc. So are hedgehogs more like the hammies or the rats?

2. For the "sleeping" area for my rats, I know they like little box huts to hide and sleep in, my ferrets like hammocks, and my sugarglider likes a pouch just laid on the ground that they can crawl into (sort of like a big sock laying there to go into). Which type of sleeping arrangement are HHs most likely to enjoy the best? I dont know if the fabric of the pouch can get stuck on their quills or if they will not like the unstable feel of a hammock...etc.

I just want to make sure he/she will be as at home as possible and want to make sure I do things right the first time around instead of learning from mistakes.

Thank you!
rbr123123 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-17-2010, 03:22 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: 2 Quick questions for hog owners

1. Hedgehog would prefer more room because they would do quite a bit of roaming in the wild. Make sure you get a good wheel for it, I highly reccomend LarryT's Carolina Storm Wheel.

2. Most of our hedgies sleep in a "hedgie bag" (Made by Nikki and other people on the forum) inside an igloo or similar plastic "den". They will not enjoy a hammock, and they can't have anything with loose threads ie terry cloth towels. Fleece is ok.
Old 12-17-2010, 03:23 PM   #3 (permalink)

1. The bigger the better.

2. There are a couple good options for sleeping places. A lot of people use plastic igloos or shoe box houses with fleece strips/ blankets. You can also use a snuggle sack (comparable if not exactly the same as the pouch for the sugar gliders) The hammock is probably not a good idea. Even if they could get into it, a fall of even a few inches can cause serious harm.

Old 12-17-2010, 03:30 PM   #4 (permalink)

1) Hedgies need a minimum of 2sq ft of space after everything has been put in. And you need to first focus on horizontal space before you even think about vertical with multiple levels. Lots of floor space will give them much more room to play around in, and the ability to have different toys inside their cage as well. You will find that if you make the cage too small, once you have the wheel in, litter pan, a bed area, there really isn't much room left, so yes, feel free to make the cage bigger.
When/If you decide to start making multiple levels, keep in mind that not all hedgies will use it, which is why you should have the large floor space on the lower level, before you thinking about expanding upwards. Also, because of their poor judgment of edges, ALL ramps and levels MUST be enclosed. Whether you use tubes, or coroplast for walls, everything must be blocked off.

2) Many here use those plastic igloos or pigloos with a fleece cover on it, and then many strips of fleece inside. Some prefer the fleece pouches or fleece hats that a few people on this board make. My boy just prefers a folded piece of fleece for him to crawl into.
Because hedgies have poor sight, they can(and will) easily fall out of, and off things. This can lead to broken bones, and in the worst case, death...And that's only from a fall from mere few inches. So hammocks should actually be touching the ground if you chose to use one.
Immortalia is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-17-2010, 03:39 PM   #5 (permalink)
PJM
Rescue

Welcome to HHC! I just wanted to point out that if you have a larger cage, you will need to make sure the entire thing is nice & warm. (believe it's between 74-78), so if you will be using a che to heat the cage, you may need to get 2. There's some wonderful info on the forums about it.

PJM is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in