My new albino hedgehog - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-21-2010, 12:29 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default My new albino hedgehog

I just brought home a six-month-old albino hedgehog named Edgar, and I have a couple questions about him!

First, is there anything I need to know about having an albino specifically? He's completely white with red eyes (creepy at first, quickly warmed up to it though) and I know albinos can have skin sensitivities. Is there anything else about albinos that I should be aware of?

He's also making a lot of hissing noises that sound like a sprinkler system. I think this is normal; he's just scared and not used to his surroundings. This is in addition to the "huffing" or snorting sounds he makes when he's exploring. Is this okay?

He's got a mesh wheel, which I know I have to replace with a plastic wheel. I'm wondering about the Carolina Storm wheel--Is this something I can have in his cage with him? Or is it exclusively for out-of-cage play?

As for cat litter for a litter box, is there any litter that would be harmful to him? I know a lot of cat litter has tons of chemicals in it--is this okay?

Also, I would appreciate links to any online stores that sell stuff that is safe for hedgehogs. I haven't found a pet store in the area that sells a lot of the stuff I think I need. I'm in the US--Massachusetts.

He's currently holed up in the sleeve of an old sweatshirt of mine. He can breathe in there, right?

I'm sure I'll have more questions, but I appreciate all your help with my new guy!!
prior is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-21-2010, 12:40 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: My new albino hedgehog

Welcome to HHC! I am so glad you and Edgar found your way here. By the way, Edgar is on my list of "Awesome Hedgehog Names".

I will answer as many of your questions as I can. First, yes the Carolina Storm Wheel can and should be left in his cage at all times, except for cleaning. I have one, and my hedgie just loves it. I love it because it is easy to clean and silent!
Normal clumping cat littler, like the clay kind, is bad for hedgies because it can get stuck in their "parts". Most people use either paper towel or a pelleted litter like 'Yesterday's News'. This stuff can be found at just about any pet store that sells cat supplies.
As for buying hedgie stuff, there really isn't a lot marketed specifically for hedgehogs, so most people buy other small animal toys, like one of the plastic igloos. Ferret toys are usually the right size and provide soft tunnels and things for hedgies to hide in. One popular item is a piece of PVC pipe that you can find for cheap at any local hardware store. Otherwise, something simple like an empty Kleenex box filled with fleece scraps makes hedgehogs very happy. Stay away from any wooden toys as the wood can harbor mites.

I'm sure more people will be along shortly to answer the questions I couldn't. Good luck with your new darling boy!

Curious Little Hedgie Videos Here: http://www.youtube.com/user/EryBeeandCompanee
EryBee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-21-2010, 04:09 PM   #3 (permalink)
PJM
Rescue

Default Re: My new albino hedgehog

Welcome to HHC & Congrats on Edgar!
I also recommend the Carolina Storm Wheel & agree, it should be kept in the cage all the time. It's a safe wheel & he won't get hurt on it.
I don't know about the litter, I use fleece & love it. It's inexpensive & easy to clean.
Don't spend too much on toys. Chances are, he won't play with them too much anyway. But the main things to look out for are lose threads or small holes. You don't want anything with those, the threads can get caught around legs & toes/nails can get caught in holes.

Can't wait to hear more about your adventures with Edgar!

PJM is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in