Hedgie won't exercise! Help! - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-23-2014, 02:58 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Hedgie won't exercise! Help!

I got my 3 month old hedgie 2 weeks ago. He refuses to use his ball, pooping whenever I put him in it. Also, he hasn't used his flying saucer wheel at all. Whenever I take him out of his cage, he just curls up in a corner and sleeps. I'm afraid that he will become overweight if he does not exercise! Do you think that he would use a regular wheel? Does anyone have any suggestions on how to get him to exercise? Thanks!
Krwald is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-23-2014, 03:08 AM   #2 (permalink)

Does he run on his wheel at night? Is he able to climb on it? You might want to try a different type of wheel- he could be too small for it or something like that.
I don't think you need to worry about him becoming overweight just yet- he may just need a longer time to adjust to his new home.
Are you handling him every day? When you take him out try having him nap on your lap- after he settles he gets used to you, he may feel a little more adventurous and start exploring.
Melanie G. is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-23-2014, 11:02 AM   #3 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Agreed with Melanie - are you finding any signs of him running on it at night? Poop on the wheel or around it? Some hedgehogs don't like Saucers, so it might be worth buying a Comfort wheel from a pet store, or buying a bucket or cake cover wheel online (better quality than pet store wheels, usually) and see if he runs on that.

Another thing to consider - is there any light showing in his room at night? Nightlights, tv, computer, a window where moonlight or streetlights might be shining through? Some hedgehogs are very, very picky about how dark it needs to be before they'll come out and run and go about their business.

RIP my sweet Lily ~ 6/12/08 - 1/20/12
Lilysmommy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2014, 12:56 PM   #4 (permalink)

Ugh, I have the same problem with my girl, but she's almost 10 months old. She does run on her wheel, but only occasionally. She used to run a lot more when she was younger, but always at kind of a slow pace. I switched her to a CSW, gave her her own completely dark and quiet room at night, everything! When she got her own room she ran for nine nights in a row (the most she has done in a long time), but at that time it was a new house and I guess she was stressed because she hardly ate or drank. But then she stopped running and it seems that out of the last week and a half she has ran only one night! And she is getting heavy! It's been this way for a long time-- she runs on random nights or for a few nights in a row and then doesn't for a long time, and it frustrates me so much because I don't know why! And she won't play with toys! I have an odometer that I have to hook up, and I want to set up a night vision camera on her very soon to see just what is going on with her!
TikkiLink is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in