Met my future baby, some questions? - Hedgehog Central – Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-01-2010, 11:38 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Met my future baby, some questions?

Hello hedgehog community!

Yes I have read the post about bringing home baby and I am fully and financially prepared for all the responsibility. This will be my first hedgehog, I have had bearded dragons in the past so I know how this goes. Never-the-less, I still have some questions.

Last night, I met with a girl who brought her hedgehog home from the petstore pregnant, and now her babies are 5 weeks old and she is ready to let them go home in a week. There are 5 babies, and all have a good temperament. One thing I wondered about was when she took out all 5 babies and put them in the lid of a box, they all sniffed around and scratched. Is this their exploring behavior or something to be worried about?

Also, I am torn between two hedgehogs and I don't know which to chose. Here is what I know about each:
Peppery (Female)
-The biggest hedgehog of the litter
- Very content, happily sat in and licked my hands
- Very friendly
-Preferred me over my boyfriend
-Pooped all over me
-I felt a bond with this one
-Because it pooped on me so much, maybe it is hard to litterbox train?

Whitey (Female)
-Smallest baby of the litter
-Seemed afraid of the other hedgehogs
-She was happy in my hands, but even happier burrowing
-She didn't poop on me once. A bonus but unusual?

Any thoughts on this?

Finally, I have vitamin powder that I gave to my dragon, is it ok to give it to hedgehogs as well or are there vitamins I can buy her?
erica582 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-01-2010, 12:09 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: Met my future baby, some questions?

I'm not sure exactly what you mean by sniffing and scratching- scratching themselves or at the box?

I would pick the one you felt a bond with, the pooping isn't a big deal. Sometimes hedgehogs will poop on you, but they do grow out of it to a degree. And if you always give them a few minutes to wake up and go to the bathroom before you take them out of their cage, the risk is much lower. Pepper poops on me maybe one a week (I get him out at least twice a day) and hardly ever pees on me.

I don't know about the vitamin powder, what's in it?
"You must write every single day of your life…You must lurk in libraries and climb the stacks like ladders to sniff books like perfumes and wear books like hats upon your crazy heads….may you be in love every day for the next 20,000 days. And out of that love, remake a world." Ray Bradbury
jinglesharks is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-01-2010, 12:25 PM   #3 (permalink)
Hooked on Hogs

A baby pooping or not pooping on you is no indication if they will be easy to litter train or if they will continue to poop or not on you. Don't use poop to make your decision.

Retired from breeding

Rescue contact for both the Hedgehog Welfare Society and the IHA
Rescued over 70 (and counting) hedgehogs needing a new home

http://freewebs.com/thehedgieden/
Nancy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2010, 12:29 PM   #4 (permalink)

Thanks for the response

Sorry, the behaviour they were exhibiting was scratching themselves with their back legs. They were all doing it while in the box lid, but did not do it once they were out.

I have calcium with D3, no phosphorus , and a multi vitamin that has: calcium, phosphorus, salt, potassium, magneusium, iron, copper, manganese, zinc, iodine, and some amino acids. Vitamin A, D3,E, K, C, B1, B2, B12, and Nacin, Pryxodine, folic acid, biotin, and choline. I can name all the amino acids of necessary

Another question, I am going to start with the sterlite bin. I live top floor apartment that is usually very warm (between 70-85 degrees). Would I need to worry about additional heating? And if so, how do you recommend heating one of these bins?
erica582 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-01-2010, 04:17 PM   #5 (permalink)
Administrator

As long as a hedgie is fed with a good quality cat food mix it doesn't need any extra vitamins.

http://www.quillsnthings.webs.com
nikki is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-01-2010, 06:21 PM   #6 (permalink)

I can't recommend how to heat a sterlite bin, there's some differnt threads about that.

However I would, regardless of your in hourse regular temperature, recommend getting a heat source & thermostat. My apartment is generally very warm due to heat ciculation in the building. I have a CHE set up, which hardly ever turns itself on., I do enjoy having it though for security. Those days when it's really warm or I have people over, I am able to open the patio door and turn on fans to drop the apartment heat without worrying that it would affect my hedgie
silvercat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central – Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in