a sick hedgie - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-26-2010, 04:25 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default a sick hedgie

so, being a newly approved rescue station, i am taking care of a hedgie (Lancelot) very likely sick with whs. i got him home just a couple hours ago. he drank water and readily accepted better quality kibble (he's been on Spike's Delite his whole life..). he falls over on one side and drags his body.

his owner talked to his breeder and she said that maybe he's attempting to hibernate, but his motor dysfunction seems a bit too pronounced for that. his nails are fine. i haven't felt his tummy yet (he's had enough stress without someone trying to get at his tummy...) but he is quite curious and bright-eyed, which also makes the hibernation theory unlikely.

now, his owner his took him to the vet who prescribed antibiotics and anti-inflammatory drugs for two weeks. there's been no improvement. i am thinking i might take him to my vet to see what she thinks about his muscle wasting.

it is going to be emotionally tough for me. but, being severely disabled myself, i feel strongly about caring for sick animals.
Advertisement

Old 09-26-2010, 04:32 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: a sick hedgie

Aww, poor guy. I'm so glad he's in your care now, though. He will be well loved with your family. Please update us on his condition, if you can.
Old 09-26-2010, 04:47 PM   #3 (permalink)
PJM
Rescue

The poor darling! I'm so glad that he's with you. Even though it will be very difficult & emotionally draining, I KNOW you are up for the task & that you will give him the care & love the he deserves. I hate that he has to go through this. Sweet little baby. And I hate that you have to go down this road as well. But you are strong, and more importantly, you are caring. And we are all here to offer you support & encouragement.

PJM is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2010, 04:47 PM   #4 (permalink)
Hooked on Hogs

When he tips over does he paddle to try and get back up? How old is he? There are so many things that can mimic WHS and cause similiar symptoms. Once everything else is ruled out, WHS is a probably diagnoses but can't know for certain until necropsy after death.

Why don't you keep him?

Retired from breeding

Rescue contact for both the Hedgehog Welfare Society and the IHA
Rescued over 70 (and counting) hedgehogs needing a new home

http://freewebs.com/thehedgieden/
Nancy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-26-2010, 05:01 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy
When he tips over does he paddle to try and get back up? How old is he? There are so many things that can mimic WHS and cause similiar symptoms. Once everything else is ruled out, WHS is a probably diagnoses but can't know for certain until necropsy after death.

Why don't you keep him?
he seemed to paddle but i observed him for just a few mins. i didn't want to stress him even more. we gave him an igloo that was not in use with a piece of cloth in it and he went right in.

he is 2,5 yrs.

i'd be happy to keep him... although, since the owner was hesitant to begin with, i said he can have Lance back if he gets better.

he looks like Sweetie but a bit darker. he is a real darling.
Old 09-26-2010, 05:06 PM   #6 (permalink)

It's great that you are caring for him. I hope his condition improves or you are able to keep him comfortable despite it. Sending hugs for little Lance!

LizardGirl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-26-2010, 05:14 PM   #7 (permalink)

I would be interested in any breeder/pedigree info. Please email me privately. I did have a case recently that looked like WHS, but was a brain tumor.
Old 09-26-2010, 07:26 PM   #8 (permalink)

I'm so glad he is with you and you're taking care of him! I'm sending very positive thoughts in your direction!
Old 09-26-2010, 10:34 PM   #9 (permalink)
Rescue

We had a hedgie Snuggles Hannah who had WHS. Our vet noticed she was knuckling over in Oct 2006. Nov 2006 we had a treatment plan in place. The most important thing with WHS is to catch the signs early. The treatment plan consist of Aminocaproic Acid, Vitamin B Complex and Water Soluble Vitamin E. There was also an exercise plan and avoiding anything that caused stress. There is no cure for WHS and like Nancy said can only be diagnosed after death with a necropsy. We lost Snuggles in January 2010 to an evasive lower jaw tumor. The Pathologist was shocked to hear she was still getting around slowly. Another thing that they found was enterovirus particles in her stool they said it was an important incidental finding.

We also took in an older hedgie who had signs that looked like WHS that turned out to be arthritis in her right hip. She fell over and wobbled real bad when she walked. She also developed a tumor on the left side of her face and jaw.
quillyones is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-26-2010, 10:46 PM   #10 (permalink)

That is so great that you took him in and are caring for the little guy

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in