I gave my hedgehog lettuce - should I be concerned? - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By Lilysmommy
  • 1 Post By Brittany

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-06-2014, 11:09 PM   #1 (permalink)

Question I gave my hedgehog lettuce - should I be concerned?

I gave my guy lettuce figuring it is harmless and mostly water. I washed it like I would my own lettuce. He LOVED it. After reading other forums I see that some have disputed over it possibly carrying salmonella? Should I be concerned?

Brittany is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-07-2014, 12:13 AM   #2 (permalink)

The breeder I bought my hedgehog from was very adamant about not feeding hedgehogs any sorts of fruits or vegetables. In fact, she said feeding fruits and vegetables to our hedgehog would void her health-guarantee. Your guy will probably be fine, but personally I wouldn't feed him any more lettuce.
Hannah is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-07-2014, 03:18 AM   #3 (permalink)
Super Moderator

IMO, it's ridiculous to consider fruits & veggies a major health threat to hedgehogs. There's nothing wrong with offering the fruits & veggies that are safe unless they happen to have an allergic reaction to something, which is why you offer one new thing at a time, and in small amounts to begin with. Plenty of people feed their hedgehogs fruits & veggies with no problems.

That all said...I wouldn't be too alarmed about the lettuce personally. It seems like it's more a possible risk than a definite one, for one thing. For another, unless there's a ton of it on there, it doesn't seem likely that it would cause a major issue for him? I could definitely be wrong, but after all, hedgehogs can handle eating raw meat just fine, even our hedgies that no longer exactly wild. I wouldn't feed lettuce again either, but mainly because there's not much nutrition since like you said, it's mostly water. Too much of a water-heavy fruit/veggie can also possibly cause a bit of loose poop or diarrhea.
nikki and Brittany like this.

RIP my sweet Lily ~ 6/12/08 - 1/20/12
Lilysmommy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2014, 11:47 PM   #4 (permalink)

So he seems like he is doing okay. He did have slightly looser stool than normal, but nothing to worry about. It seems normal now.
Lilysmommy likes this.

Brittany is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in