Buying a hedgie this week - Hedgehog Central – Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-20-2010, 02:46 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Buying a hedgie this week

Hey everybody,
I'm newly registered here but have been browsing the forum for about a week. I have done a fair amount of research (not enough yet though) and was hoping to have some of my questions answered. I've included a picture of current set up for reference. I appologize in advance for having so many but answers to any will be extremely helpful..

1) Is a fleece blanket acceptable as a bedding? I see that many people have fleece as bedding, so I am led to believe that it is. Is it ok for baby hedgies or are they best started on a different surface?
2) How much do you reccomend using a litter box? I would really like to use one, but my current set up does not provide enough room and I have not figured out a way to make room. When I get a larger set up..
3) ...can they be litter trained at a later age? Or do they reach an age where they are no longer able to be litter trained?
4) Is a tissue box acceptable for a hide? I bought a hide, only to decide that it makes a better bed when lined with a t-shirt of mine (to allow him to get accoustomed to my scent). I cut a larger opening (and smoothed the edges) and lined it with tissues. Should I use a different linning? Should I abandon the box all together and buy/make a new hide?
5) The bed is made of "edible fibers safe for small animals." Just how safe are these?
6) Are there any fabrics that I should avoid? In regards to stuffed animals/t-shirts.
7) Fruits and veggies? If so, what kinds and how often?
8) At what age is it safe to let them play with toilet paper rolls? Their shown in the picture but they will be taken out when I get him/her/
9)What kind of heating bulb should I use? My hedgie will be in my room and I sleep in the cold, so I know I will need one. My brother has a bearded dragon and I know there are some bulbs that are reccomended over others. Is this the same for hedgies?
10) How are they with noise? I play the drums and the cage is near my drum set. I plan on moving his cage to another room when I do play (not for the first month or so that I have him), but as far as music goes, how loud is too loud? And will moving rooms cause unnecessary stress?
11) Where can I get a "satellite wheel"? I can't find them in any store near me. Is there a hedgie supply webiste that you recommend?
Bonus Question: Yankees or Mets? (I know not everyone is from NY, but you don't need to be to not like the Yankees )
I think that is it for now but being as obsessive as I am, I'm sure that I will have more . Any help is greatly appriciated!
Thanks,
Jimmy
Attached Images
File Type: jpg hedgiesetup3.jpg (113.2 KB, 35 views)
JimboSlic3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-20-2010, 03:26 PM   #2 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Default Re: Buying a hedgie this week

Welcome to HHC! Many of your questions are found on the boards, and you can use the search feature (next to the new topic button) to search for a specific word.

1) Fleece liners are the preferred bedding around here, and would be fine for a baby too. The only thing you may find with a younger hedgie is that you have to change the liners more often (unless hedgie is potty-trained) because they poop quite a bit.

2) Personally, I don't use a litter box and Lily uses her wheel as her primary potty spot. They'll potty on their wheels regardless, so it's up to you whether you want to add a litter box or not. It's worth a try, as some hedgehogs will use them.

3) It depends mostly on the individual hog. Some are tidier and will use a litter box if given one, some are messy no matter what and will completely ignore a litter box.

4) I'm not sure about using tissues for lining, as they would probably get shredded, but a tissue box should work find for a hiding place. You could cut a few small blankies out of fleece to put in the box for lining/comfort.

5) I have no clue, but I wouldn't trust it personally...

6) The main thing to watch out for with stuffed animals and t-shirts is that there's no loose strings, which can get wrapped around little legs and cut off circulation. I don't know of any particular fabrics that would be very bad, other than ones that may shred easily if hedgie digs at it.

7) There is a list of safe/unsafe fruits and veggies here. viewtopic.php?f=6&t=60&st=0&sk=t&sd=a&hilit=fruit+ and+veggie Make sure you don't introduce any new treats for the first couple of weeks as he is settling into his new home, and make sure you only introduce one new thing at a time (whether it's changing his main food or giving new treats).

8) As far as I know, it's fine anytime. Just make sure they're cut lengthwise so hedgie doesn't get stuck, and the sharp edges rounded.

9) Sorry, I don't know much about this.

10) Hedgehogs have very good hearing so you'll definitely need to move him away from your room before you play. If music is kind of loud for you, it's even louder for him, so just try to gauge the loudness of anything that's around him, be it drums, music, or tv. Moving rooms shouldn't pose too much of a problem if it's just for a few hours here and there.

11) Not sure what a satellite wheel is, but LarryT on here sells great cakewalk wheels, and has excellent customer service. If you want the best wheel for your little one, I'd definitely recommend getting one of Larry's wheels.

RIP my sweet Lily ~ 6/12/08 - 1/20/12
Lilysmommy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-20-2010, 03:38 PM   #3 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to Kenzi

1) Yes, fleece is fine. Its what i'm planning to use
2) Litter boxes are nice. If your hedgie uses them, then you won't get poo and urine everywhere (though almost all hediges poo in/on their wheel). I found a nice shallow tray at my thrift store, i think its designed to serve crackers or something. Its not very big, (maybe 8" x 4", and 1/2 " deep) but I think it'll do the job.
3) I'm not sure about this, but I do know that not all hediges are trainable
4) a tissue box is fine. Many people like to use this as dig boxes (put non-fraying fabric in it, and they'll burrow). I'm going to use an igloo, because I like that its transparent
5) I don't know what you're talking about.. is it bedding? like cottony fluff? or is it a bed, like a cuddle cup/ small dog bed?
6) Avoid frays, and loose strings, as these are dangerous (a hedgie's little limbs can get caught/tangled) fleece is recommended because it doesn't fray, so it can be easily cut and used.
7) viewtopic.php?f=6&t=60&st=0&sk=t&sd=a&hilit=fruit has some advice
8) my understanding is any age. just make sure to cut a slit in the tube lengthwise (hot dog bun style) and then round the corners. This will ensure that he/she can't get stuck, or hurt by the edges.
9) I would use a CHE. Its a special kind of 'bulb' that screws into a regular lamp socket, but doesn't emit light. this way it can be on all the time, providing constant heat. (an actual light left on 24/7 would mess up their sleeping patterns). You will need a thermostat to ensure that it doesn't overheat the cage. A digital thermometer is also a necessity. Hedgies need to be kept warmer than 72 degrees.
10) Many Hedgies are easily disturbed/startled by noise when asleep and awake. waking constantly during the day isn't a good thing. a Drum set would def cause stress. I would say to try and move your drum set.
11) They are called "flying saucer" I got mine on craigslist, but they are in petsmart for $24.99 USD where I live. Make sure to get the 12" diameter one (largest size). I got lucky, mine was brand new (still in plastic) and only $5.

In my opinion, your cage looks a bit cramped.. you should have 2 sq feet of room after everything is put in.. looks like you have maybe 1/2 a foot.. and thats if you took out the tubes.

Old 09-20-2010, 08:42 PM   #4 (permalink)

I just wanted to correct one little thing about Kenzi`s answers. A CHE bulb should only be used with a lamp made specifically for it. Using a regular lamp would be a very dangerous fire hazard.

And Kenzi, that third pic in your signature is adorable, what a beautiful baby!

Olympia is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-20-2010, 10:53 PM   #5 (permalink)

Awesome thanks for the replies. I'll be sure to use the search feature next time befor posting new questions.
As far as the edible hide goes, it is made of plant fibers woven together and the packaging indicates that it is safe for "all small animals." I was wondering if anyone has any knowledge/experience with anything like this.
The size of the cage was a concern of mine as well, and I plan on getting a larger cage in the future. Is this too small to start with?
Again thanks for all the answers
Old 09-21-2010, 03:01 AM   #6 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimboSlic3
Awesome thanks for the replies. I'll be sure to use the search feature next time befor posting new questions.
As far as the edible hide goes, it is made of plant fibers woven together and the packaging indicates that it is safe for "all small animals." I was wondering if anyone has any knowledge/experience with anything like this.
The size of the cage was a concern of mine as well, and I plan on getting a larger cage in the future. Is this too small to start with?
Personally, I think it looks fine to start with, since your baby will be pretty small. It has enough room for the essentials and some space left over. But yes, you'll probably want to upgrade to a larger one as he/she grows.

RIP my sweet Lily ~ 6/12/08 - 1/20/12
Lilysmommy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-21-2010, 11:58 AM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
When products say safe for "all small animals" it usually means rodents. Hedgehogs are not rodents, probably will not chew it and even if they did it would not be a benefit in any way. I can't say for sure if it would be harmful without knowing the specific product. (maybe you could find it on petsmarts website and post a link?)

Bottom line is the edible hide is unnecessary. Kleenex boxes or shoe boxes work just fine. Collect them so that you can replace it when it gets dirty. Lots of people use igloos or other store bought plastic hides. I personally just put an extra blanket where Quigley usually sleeps. He often burrows under the liners anyway (even when he had an igloo) so why not save space by taking it out all together.

RIP Quigley, I miss you my little grumpus.
hedgielover is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-21-2010, 09:26 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
5) The bed is made of "edible fibers safe for small animals." Just how safe are these?

9)What kind of heating bulb should I use? My hedgie will be in my room and I sleep in the cold, so I know I will need one. My brother has a bearded dragon and I know there are some bulbs that are reccomended over others. Is this the same for hedgies?

10) How are they with noise? I play the drums and the cage is near my drum set. I plan on moving his cage to another room when I do play (not for the first month or so that I have him), but as far as music goes, how loud is too loud? And will moving rooms cause unnecessary stress?

11) Where can I get a "satellite wheel"? I can't find them in any store near me. Is there a hedgie supply webiste that you recommend?

Bonus Question: Yankees or Mets? (I know not everyone is from NY, but you don't need to be to not like the Yankees )

I think that is it for now but being as obsessive as I am, I'm sure that I will have more . Any help is greatly appriciated!
Thanks,
Jimmy
5) I'm pretty sure I know what you're talking about - it's basically high fiber grass or similar that guinea pigs and rodents eat (as mentioned already). Hedgehogs have a different diet and it wouldn't be appropriate for eating/chewing. If it's rock hard though and you're convinced a hedgie won't eat it, it should be fine. I could be wrong but basically it's the same as a paper bag or shoebox where a hedgie could chew away at it but usually don't.

9) It really depends on your cage/habitat... from you picture, a 100w CHE could do justice but it really depends on your usual room temperature, variations in temperature, and also size of cage. It's hard to tell from the picture but if you have actual dimensions that could help.

10) Um, drums cause massive amounts of noise and quite the vibrations too. I'd keep your hedgie away. Anybody know where I can buy earplugs for hedgehogs?? (joking )

11) I've never heard of a satellite wheel either, but if you have the one I'm thinking of (in the picture) it can get pretty noisy compared to a cake-pan wheel that a couple people here sell.

Bonus: Neither... I'm in Canada and we only have 1 baseball team so I'm partial to them.
Tomato is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-23-2010, 09:50 AM   #9 (permalink)

Ok so I'm probably going to scrap the edible hide and stick to the tissue box (I'll try to find a link later when I can use a computer). I only need to get the temperature up a few degrees at night when I'm sleeping. Other than that the temperature stays between 73-79F. Is a blacklight (like the nightlights for lizards) a safe soure of heat? I'm gonna be picking up my hedgie on Saturday so I'll post pictures of him/her when I do
Hockey fan, Tomato? :P
Old 09-24-2010, 10:49 AM   #10 (permalink)

I think boxes would work better too though I've seen some "edible" huts that would be appropriate and of course other edible huts that are not.

CHEs are recommended because they heat without emitting light... and a separate light is good to maintain their bioclock for daylight. A blacklight is probably "safe" but not sure how effective it is at heating the cage? If you have a thermostat (recommended) the light would be turning on and off too which would be a little strange.

The "light" potion is not beneficial in any way though and a white'ish light should still be used to maintain daily daylight. I'd recommend a thermostat too, or a thermometer at minimum to ensure a decent temperature is kept because sometimes you just never know.

Hockey, why yes, how did you know? :P
Tomato is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central – Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in