New hedgehog owner advice - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-11-2010, 06:17 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default New hedgehog owner advice

I am buying a 2 and a half year old hedgehog from a lady who has no time for him, he comes with his cage and all his things for 150. She was asking 200 but I haggled it lower because he is older.
Im just wondering what I may or may not be in for, I have only ever handled one once, although I am very very good with animals, and have owned other small animals such as rats in the past.

Any advice you have would be great thanks.
Alexandraboo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-11-2010, 06:30 PM   #2 (permalink)
Master Breeders

Default Re: New hedgehog owner advice

I would start by reading the stickies in each section. Also LG's book is a must read for any new owner here is a link;
http://www.hedgehogbook.webs.com/
Old 09-11-2010, 06:32 PM   #3 (permalink)

Awesome, can anyone tell me the life span of these awesome little guys?
I thought asking 100 for an older one was a bit much, but he should be well socialized and perhaps calmer? he is apparently very friendly.

Old 09-11-2010, 07:55 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexandraboo
Awesome, can anyone tell me the life span of these awesome little guys?
I thought asking 100 for an older one was a bit much, but he should be well socialized and perhaps calmer? he is apparently very friendly.
The average life expectancy of a hedgie is 4-6 years, I believe... but there have been many cases of hedgies living well past that age ;D
Old 09-11-2010, 09:49 PM   #5 (permalink)

awesome! I was worried he may be really old and running out of time, I just know I will get very attached very quickly. I just absolutely adore them already! and I just held one a couple of times! Im very excited, My little Walter will arrive tomorrow at 9 am. I hope he doesnt know his name, I would really love to name him Walter
Old 09-11-2010, 10:09 PM   #6 (permalink)
PJM
Rescue

As they say, "You can call a hedgie by any name & he still won't come".
I'm sure it won't bother him a bit to be called Walter. As long as he gets to eat & run he will be happy. I'm excited for you.

PJM is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-11-2010, 10:55 PM   #7 (permalink)

I have a male Albino hedgehog who has been with me for about 3 months already he is around 11 months old now. I call him Sonic or sometimes Gonk! From my experience, they are one of the most charming creatures that I have ever owned. Congratulations on getting Walter! Just feel free to ask questions. I'll bee glad to help you to the best of my abilities! Keep us updated with Walter!
Old 09-11-2010, 11:23 PM   #8 (permalink)

you are in for a wonderful experience, if i may say so. :P
Old 09-12-2010, 12:15 AM   #9 (permalink)

Ive had some strange animals, but I see a hedgehog as a very wild animal, I know they have been tamed for some time, but not for thousands of years like cats or dogs, even rats have been tamed for hundreds. I don't know much about their background but I am all for learning anything and everything there is that I need to know about being a good hedgehog mother!

I have a couple of more questions, Can a hedgehog eat cat food, and be supplemented with fruit and veggies, and possibly some grains, like cheerios. Should I be feeding him low fat meats aside from cat food? what should a diet plan be like. I know that I cannot find hedgehog food around here, the only pet stores we have are pets unlimited p.js pets owned. and I do not support puppy mills, or their mass breeding, and do not shop there.

I would like my hedgie to be as healthy as possible and live a really long happy life. I really do love all animals, and would like to make him as happy as I can in whatever ways I can.

I do have a cat, she is a small cat still a kitten, is there issues with cats and hedgehogs? can they co exist? or must I separate her from him as soon as he arrives.
Im just hoping he is tame enough to work with, I really wouldnt be turned off by him being cranky or hard to deal with though, he is who he is. :P I just hope for a nice little guy. and from what I hear he is pretty tame.
Old 09-12-2010, 04:59 AM   #10 (permalink)

Your hedgehog can eat cat food. But, the protein in the cat food can't be more than30% and the fat content should be less than 12%. You can also supplement the cat food with certain fruits and vegetables. I'm not quite sure what vegetables and fruits in particular. But, I heard that some hedgies love cillantro. I'm not sure about the grains. But, since they are insectivores, most people give them mealworms. But, only give these worms as a treat since they are high in fat. I personally try to avoid mealworms only because I don't wanna have to hand feed the worms.

When it comes to your cat, I suggest separating them onl because the hedgie might get stressed out or scared. Plus, the cat might get hurt as well since hedgies will ball up into a spike to protect itself.

Hedgies can most of the time be tamed. But, it will take a lot of time and patience since hedgies tend to hiss and ball up when it isn't familiar with you yet. They take quite a while to warm up to people. They don't usually bite unless your hand smells like food. But, just wash your hands before handling the hedgie and it shouldn't be a problem. I suggest you hold him or put him on your lap every night for about 15 minutes everyday. That should help you guys bond. Oh and put an old shirt that you have worn in his cage. This helps him ge to know your scent. This is very helpful and important since they have a better sense of smell than a sense of sight. If you have a hard time handling him because he spikes up, lift him up from underneath since his belly does not have spikes. Or you could use a fleece blanket from his cage to carry him. I hope that I was able to help you out a bit. If you got anymore questions I'll be glad to help out.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in