Questions from new hedgehog owner - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-09-2010, 12:01 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Questions from new hedgehog owner

Weve had our new hedgehog, Wilson, for almost a week now. He seems to have a wonderful personality and is adjusting well to his new home. Ive read a lot in this forum over the last couple of weeks and I have just a few questions.

First of all, does his cage setup look ok? There is a high edge around the base of the cage so Im hoping that he wont be able to reach the bars to climb. Since this photo was taken, we have since changed the litter pan to beneath the wheel. As well, I've ordered the Storm Wheel so it will shortly replace the wheel in the photo. The Comfort Wheel in the photo works very well but I'm hoping the CSW will be a bit quieter.

Other questions:
He has lost a couple of quills. Two, to be exact, in five days. Is this normal? I know quill loss isn't generally ok but I assume they will lose a quill here and there. He is three months old, if that makes a difference. Is there a time upcoming when he will replace all of his quills? The only thing I can think of is the word "molt" but I know that is a term used for birds. Do hedgehogs do something similar?

How many meal worms per day can a hedgehog eat and remain healthy? He runs a good deal of the night on his wheel. We gave him three meal worms yesterday. Can he have some every day? He gobbled them right up.

Is it ok to wake him during the day for a couple of brief visits? He doesn't seem to mind too much. He is prickly when he is first disturbed but within 60-90 seconds of petting, he is calm and seems happy enough to explore a lap. My daughter (10 years old) is his "official" owner and she likes to visit with him for a bit before school and also again after school. I also like to take him out for a visit when I come home from work. Is it detrimental to him for us to wake him like this during the day? His normal awake time seems to be 9:30pm-7:00am.

We will shortly need to get him set up with a heating system. I plan to go the route of a CHE with thermostat. Will having the CHE sitting directly on top of the metal cage transfer the heat down the metal bars and make the bars hot down near the base of the cage? I would hate for him to be accidentally burned.

I think that's all of my questions for now. Here is a photo of Wilson with my daughter, who loves him so very much.

gnoolies likes this.

Old 09-09-2010, 12:06 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: Questions from new hedgehog owner

Oh, one more question! He, of course, potties in his wheel every night. My daughter cleans the wheel every morning and we've also been cleaning Wilson's feet in the morning as well. We put him in a 1/2 inch of warm water and rub the poo off his toes. He does *not* like this too much and is happy to be freed of the little bath. What do others do about dirty feet in the morning? I hate to torture him. Maybe he'll get used to it eventually?
Old 09-09-2010, 12:15 PM   #3 (permalink)

Firstly Welcome to HHC and congratulations on your new baby.

Your cage setup up looks good and well done on order a CSW

Quill loss is normal, they shed a quill here and there for new ones all time. Has he gone through his adult quilling? Been 3 months old he should already started and finished or getting ready to start this process. Keep an eye on the number of quills, if it becomes more he is likely going through his adult quilling.

I feed mine 4 meal worms a night, as long as he is remaining healthy and not putting on masses of weight from the meal worms 4 should be good. What kibble are you feeding him and do you weigh him daily?

Yes, it is perfectly fine to take him out for brief periods during the day. I take mine out for 30mins in the morning and afternoon and then for 1-2hours at night once they wake up.
this will increase the bond he has with you and your family also, so that is a good thing. You can also put a shirt or piece of fleece you have slept with for a couple of days, this helps him recognize your scent.

It should be perfectly safe for you to use the CHE on top of the cage without the metal getting hot. If the metal is getting hot then you have the CHE thermostat to high and too high is not good for hedgies in general.

With the footsy baths, you can limit them to every few days unless they are super dirty. Also try putting him in the bath have a towel on the bottom and have the water come just above it. The towel will help clean his feet as he walks around. Let him walk around and clean them himself for now, they don't have to be perfect until he gets used to baths.
Gorgeous photo of your daughter and the new baby. Looks like he is very friendly with her

Breeding first and foremost for Health & Temperament
http://www.hedgehoggrove.com
Up to date News and Photos:
http://www.facebook.com/Hedgehog.Grove

http://www.hhgrescue.com
Facebook Page: http://www.facebook.com/HedgehogGroveRescue
Hedgehog Grove is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2010, 12:40 PM   #4 (permalink)

Thanks very much for your response! We kept the same food as the breeder was using, which is Royal Canin Baby Kitten. She advised to switch to Royal Canin Kitten at six months old. I don't know if he has gone through his adult quilling yet. I will have to email her and ask. We have weighed him twice so far. He was 283g the day we brought him home, and then 279g two days later. I need to weigh him again today to make sure he is not continuing to lose weight but he has definitely stepped up his food consumption since that second weighing. I think he was a bit off his schedule his first day or so after leaving the breeder's. He runs and runs and runs at night and eats much kibble in between runs, apparently, since the bowl has considerably less food the following morning. The meal worms we've given with tweezers at the evening play time as my husband doesn't really want meal worms "loose" in the house. Neither do I, to be honest.
Old 09-09-2010, 12:54 PM   #5 (permalink)

I'd just like to say excellent job so far on taking care of you hedgie. It's awesome to see somebody to research to make sure their new family member is getting the proper care it needs. Kudos!
Shelobe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-09-2010, 01:00 PM   #6 (permalink)
Master Breeders

Congrats on the hoglet Wilson and your daughter are both adorable!Wilson's setup looks fine to me. Just got back from the post office mailing your wheel it should be there in 6-7 days.
Old 09-09-2010, 01:31 PM   #7 (permalink)

Thanks to you all for the kind comments! We are enjoying our new family member very much. Looking forward to the new wheel, Larry. Especially my husband who seems to be the only one who can't tune out the sound of the current wheel.
Old 09-09-2010, 03:10 PM   #8 (permalink)
PJM
Rescue

First of all - welcome to HHC! Wilson is precious - as is your daughter.
I have the exact same cage set up as you & it works great. I especially love that I can pull the liner out like you have done - you won't have to deal with having a hedgie that likes to go under the liner. Makes life much easier.
I feed my hedgies a few mealies every night. No more than 5. My husband doesn't mind the mealies too much, but when they turn into aliens, he wants them gone, gone, gone!
My only comment about the foot baths is that I do mine at night before our bonding time. They should be completely dry before you put them back in the cage & I don't have enough time to do it before work.
Most of us feed a mixture of a few kinds of kibble. There is a great thread on the best choices. Main thing is to keep the fat & protein under certain %.
It's very good to see you taking such an active roll with Wilson's care.

One last thing - we love pictures & fun stories.

gnoolies likes this.

PJM is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-09-2010, 03:52 PM   #9 (permalink)

Ugh! I didn't know the meal worms will transform. I'm not looking forward to that. They skeeve me out in their regular form. {shudder} We were doing the footbaths in the morning as I didn't figure he'd enjoy sleeping in his igloo with stinky toes. I also don't know if hedgies groom themselves with their tongue. I didn't want him licking his dirty feet and making himself sick. I will check out the kibble mixture thread - thanks for that suggestion!
Old 09-09-2010, 04:39 PM   #10 (permalink)
PJM
Rescue

Lol! Yeah, they will eventually turn into beatles, if you let them. I finally feel comfortable touching a mealie, but the aliens freak me out! Thank goodness for tweezers! Also, my hedgies love the aliens almost as much as mealies, so if I find one, I just quickly feed it to them. Won't ever forget the first time I saw one, though!
As far as the 'poop boots' go, each hedgie is different. My girl Zoey always has clean feet & gorgeously manicured nails. While my boy Cholla likes his poop boots to be knee-high. They won't hurt anything though.

PJM is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in