stressed?? - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

Like Tree6Likes
  • 2 Post By NewAlbinoMom
  • 2 Post By redhog
  • 1 Post By redhog
  • 1 Post By Lilysmommy

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-20-2014, 04:37 PM   #1 (permalink)

Question stressed??

My rescue Gracie seems to get really stressed when I take her out of her cage, she is frantic and wants to hide. Also will start loosing quills, she doesn't seem to loose them otherwise. She is a rescue I got about 3 weeks ago, when I got her she was almost dead due to malnutrition and hybernation. She has made a full recover, eating good drinking good poop looks normal. And has even started using her wheel. I'm not really sure if she has been handled to much in the past. not sure on age eather, our local breeder said she appears o be maybe 3 yrs. Also is missing a eye. Any body have tips on what I should or shouldn't do? I have started only holding her for about 5-10 min a day I just hate stressing her
Advertisement

Old 05-20-2014, 07:00 PM   #2 (permalink)

Patience. Give her a shirt of yours to snuggle in the cage, check for hairs holes and loose threads first. Bring her out at her normal wake time, not early. Keep the room dim and quiet. I lay a fleece over my out stretched legs and let mine use ME to hide. For weeks he was scared to bits. Now....he tolerates me lol. To go from no human love to being handled is scary for any animal. Extra scary for one so small.
AngelfishGirl and jmluedke like this.
NewAlbinoMom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-20-2014, 07:11 PM   #3 (permalink)

Good advice newalbinomom, also try to reward her for being on you and being handled by you. Give her a treat. A meal worm. But don't over feed her on them. There treats so don't get her expecting them every week. My little girl izzy died last Friday and I am so lost and upset without her. Treasure those precious moments with your hog. Good luck
jmluedke and julienne like this.
redhog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2014, 07:13 PM   #4 (permalink)

Ment to say everyday not every week regarding the meal worms.
jmluedke likes this.
redhog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-20-2014, 08:24 PM   #5 (permalink)
Super Moderator

I would hold her for longer amounts of time. She won't learn & get used to you unless you keep at it, though I understand it's hard to feel like a monster when she's so frantic about it! Albinomom's suggestion is a good one - give her a blanket or something to hide under in her lap. I used to have a big fleece blanket that I'd lay over my lap, then plop Lily on it and then cover her up with the extra so she could dig around & find a comfy spot in it. She may be more willing to go to sleep on you if she's nice & covered up, and that totally counts as bonding time! If she's comfy enough to sleep on you, she'll sleep with your smell around her and with hearing your voice, etc. In time, she'll realize, at the very least, that you're not planning to eat her.
jmluedke likes this.

RIP my sweet Lily ~ 6/12/08 - 1/20/12
Lilysmommy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-20-2014, 10:07 PM   #6 (permalink)

Thanks everyone! I just feel in love with her! Broke my heart when we got her with the condition she was in. I will try all the suggestion!! I was just worried about over doing it, with the quills she was dropping. We finally got her to use the wheel don't think she had ever seen one before. Now she is a little runner! Took about a week of syringe feeding to get her to eat reg food all she wanted was meal worms.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in