Poop poop nothing but poop - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By Wilf44

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-13-2014, 06:36 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Poop poop nothing but poop

Hi all,
Just been giving my little pickle some much needed loving this evening. He enjoyed watching call centre and then tried to help with my job app. Useful!
Anyhow.. Does anyone else's piggly have quite as bad toilet manners as my boy. He's a terror.. You can't trust him for 30 seconds. He usually does his bussines in the first 5/10 mins of cuddle/play time.. After that I always (I don't learn!) get lulled into a full sence of security by those big round eyes that he's all finished so off he goes for adventure time. He loves climbing. He goes up my Top then scales the great heights of the sofa (under supervision!!). But while he's there unknown to me he plants one on my shoulder, then on my leg, then on the sofa. Clearly he has no interest in wondering off to find a suitable porta loo.. The world is his toilet and when you gotta go you gotta go, but seriously my boy poos for England. I popped him away this evening and was pondering over the subject when I put my hand into one stuck on my chest.. After having cleaned myself Up I was laying wondering how on earth I still smelt
Like Wilfred's poo to find one dangling in my hair. Just what you want when your laying in bed! It's a good job I'm an animal nut, that'd probably finish most People off. So after one evening in the space of about an hour.. One pillow case (his snuggle one), one full clean set of pj's (top and bottom), one full clean head of hair, and one sofa cushion (sshh no one knows!) are now due a wash!!!! Who else finds their fuzz balls toilet habits rather out of control!

Love Kate and Wilf (who's currently having a litter tray bath) xxx
CoffeeKat and Latrine like this.
Wilf44 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-13-2014, 08:37 PM   #2 (permalink)

How old is your baby? Baby hedgehogs poop A LOT. My girl is about four months now, and I just started noticing she's pooping less.

It helps a lot to build a routine about when you handle your baby - this can help minimize any poop accidents! For instance, I usually wake my girl up, hold her for a few minutes while she wakes up, then I put her back in her cage so she can eat and go to the bathroom.

Also, if when you're handling your hedgie, and he starts to get more squirmy and wanting to be out of your hands, that's another sign that he is looking for a place to go to the bathroom. When that happened with my girl, I just plopped her in her litter pan.

Do you have a litter pan set up for you hedgie? Most can be potty trained

lilsurfergrlsp is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-14-2014, 12:47 AM   #3 (permalink)

Have you tried putting him in the wheel and blocking him in with your hand before getting him out? That's what I do, and my girl usually accepts that it means it's time to run a little until she gets at least most of it out of her system. It may not stop all the pooping, but it might lessen it some.

But yeah if you have a baby, that's normal.
TikkiLink is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2014, 03:44 AM   #4 (permalink)

Yup, that's normal. Babies poop an enormous amount and they can't control it yet, so they just go when they need to. It will get less when they're older but I think they still poop a lot.
When they're older they usually just need to go once when they wake up, I wake mine up and take the sleeping hut out of the cage so he has to walk around for a bit, eat something, and poop. I only take him out after that so I don't get pooped on. With babies you can't be really sure and accidents can always happen.

Draenog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in