Rescue or not to rescue? - Hedgehog Central – Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

Like Tree5Likes
  • 2 Post By shmurciakova
  • 1 Post By dreampanther
  • 2 Post By Draenog

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-11-2014, 10:11 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Rescue or not to rescue?

I've always gotten my pets from a rescue/SPCA. I've been looking and our local humane society gets on average of 3 in a year and are usually adopted with in hours of hitting the adoption floor. So I turned to Kijiji and there are lots for re-homing.

We (my boyfriend and I) are looking to get one near the end of June (so I have time to get information for us both to care for the poor thing properly).

I wanted to know (since I know jack poopla about hedgies) which is a better idea, rescue or no? There are tons of stores around me who sell young hedgehogs and most Kijiji ads are for 2-4 year old.

Age doesn't mean too much to us if rescuing, we usually get older pets anyway. But I believe the understanding with taming is its a lot harder if they are older and never handled much (right?) which then brings me back to rescue or not to rescue.

Oh, and Hi since this is my first post.
dreampanther is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-11-2014, 10:32 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default adopting a hedgie

Hello and welcome to the forums….
It is hard to say whether or not you should rescue your first hedgehog. The good thing is the fact that you really are not going in with any pre-conceived ideas. I am sure there are many hedgies on Kijiji that need rescuing and would make good pets. One thing you could consider though, is to contact the Hedgehog Welfare Society and find a rescuer near you. You can then go to their home and meet the hedgies that are available and they can probably help you to find one that would be a good fit for you. If you do end up rescuing one from a site like Kijiji, you really don't know what you are getting and it is possible that the hedgehog could have been severely neglected or have serious health issues. Regardless of what you do I would recommend that you find a vet in your area who deals with exotic animals so that you will not be running around in the event of an emergency. That being said, I recently rescued a little 4 year old girl who belonged to a student who graduated, and then was passed on to a teacher, then a local HWS rescuer - and then me! She's my 3rd hedge, but my first rescue and she is a little doll.
Good luck deciding, of course there are pros and cons but I appreciate your wanting to adopt rather than getting a "new" hedgie……
-Susan H.
Lilysmommy and HoodiaJen like this.
shmurciakova is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-11-2014, 10:59 PM   #3 (permalink)

Thank you Susan.

I checked out and contacted them. There is one place listed in my area so that's GREAT news since I didn't know there was one at all! I'll be contacting them in the next week.

We do have pets and see an exotic vet who I believe treats hedgehogs as well but I'll be contacting her monday to make sure. BUT regardless I do know of vets in my area who do treat them, I'm hoping mine does as well since I already take my cats, guinea pigs and bunnies (2 cats, 3 bunnies and 2 guinea pigs).
Lilysmommy likes this.
dreampanther is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2014, 04:29 AM   #4 (permalink)

A pet store is usually not such a good place to buy a hedgehog. Of course there are exceptions, but lots of them don't know anything about hedgehogs. They are often housed together, sometimes even boys and girls in the same cage. And they usually aren't handled much either. It wouldn't make much of a difference with "bad case" rescue if you're unlucky.

I think there is a difference between a 'rescue' and a 'rehome'. Rescues are often in bad shape, sometimes even neglected for a long time. Rehomes are just hedgehogs who need a new home. They are sometimes handled a bit less (lots of people who give their hedgehog away because they don't have enough time for him/her anymore) but otherwise mostly healthy.

We don't have the HWS here and we don't have hedgehog rescues here (for pet hedgehogs at least). I've had two rehomes and two hedgehogs from a breeder. My first hedgehog was a rehome, but she turned out to be sick and neglected and died shortly after. The vet and I couldn't save her. So make sure the hedgehog is healthy! I had never seen an APH in real life and was used to wild hedgehogs (they are totally different) so I didn't see how thin she really was. She looked fine otherwise, but there was most likely something wrong with her organs due to being kept too cold for a longer period of time (the previous owner didn't have a heating set up), at least that's what the vet thought.
My current boy is a rehome, his previous owner contacted me because she knew I had hedgehogs before. She gave him to me because she didn't have the time for him anymore. So he wasn't really handled in a while, and a grumpy butt, but he changed a lot with more handling. The other baby I have comes from a breeder and is actually more of a lil grump now - it really depends on the hedgehog, every hedgie is different and I think you can do a lot with time and patience!

There are lots of reasons for rehoming. It's often not because people want to get rid of their hedgehog, but some of them turn out to be allergic, can't keep their hedgie because they're moving etc. There are plenty of reasons for people to give their beloved pet up for adoption. Most of these pets are getting good care and I think it's great when people are open to adopting older hedgies.
Lilysmommy and HoodiaJen like this.

Draenog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-16-2014, 04:04 PM   #5 (permalink)

Default good point

Good point, there is a difference between a rescue and a rehome, but on a site like Kijiji or Craigslist you can often wind up with a rehome that turns out to be more of a rescue. That can be wonderful if you are up for it because without your intervention, sometimes these little guys don't have a fighting chance. On the other hand, especially for someone who has never had a hedgehog before, it is good to know what you are dealing with health wise.
Let us know what happens!
Susan H.
shmurciakova is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-16-2014, 08:18 PM   #6 (permalink)

Last month I adopted my first hedgehog, a rescue. A few weeks later, I got a rehome. Both have health needs, are a bit antisocial and cost me a pretty penny to set up. I adore them! It feels great to give a new life to a hedge that previously had a bad or mediocre life. I'm not the perfect owner, But I do my best. And my hedges are now opening up to me. The personality transformation is awesome.
That being said, rescue or rehome is not for everyone. You aren't going to get the perfect hedge. You will encounter unexpected problems. Sometimes the frustration will bring you to tears.

Breeder, rescue or rehome....go with what's right for you. A happy owner has a happy hedge.
NewAlbinoMom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central – Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in