long list of questions - Hedgehog Central – Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-24-2008, 07:12 PM   #1 (permalink)

Send a message via MSN to HedgieIsabella
Default long list of questions

i've been looking at this site for quite a while, but just registered , literally :P
i have a 2 1/2 yr old hedgie named Isabella, and she is just the sweetest! i have no idea what color she is but i love her none the less
i have a few questions i haven't found answers to if you guys could help me out it would be great

1. When i first got Isabella she used her wheel like crazy, but for the past few months she hasn't been using it, could she just be bored or could something be wrong, she seems fine and runs around like a normal hedgie.

2. the only treat she likes is eggs, so is it safe for them to have the yolks?
i know they have high cholesterol , can it affect her?

3. she jumps alot, every letter i type shes jumping in my lap, she's done this ever since i had her last march, and i thought it was because she was neglected from the previous owner, but i take her out everyday and she still seems to be EXTREMELY jumpy.

Thanks you guys
HedgieIsabella is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-25-2008, 03:52 PM   #2 (permalink)
Administrator

Default Re: long list of questions

1. What’s the temperature in her room at night? If it is lower than 72, I would try upping the temperature at night. Another thing to look at is, how much light does she get? Not sunlight, just light in general. I give mine at least 12 hrs of light a day to ensure that they don’t think it’s time to hibernate due to a shorter day cycle. Both temperature changes and not enough light can cause hibernation attempts. While she may not feel cold and may be eating normally, a slowing down/lack of exercising could be a first sign of a hibernation attempt.

If those areas are fine, how is her weight? Any weight loss? I'd be concerned that there could be an illness that is lurking.

Otherwise, I'd also check the wheel to ensure it is still spinning smoothly.

2. I have seen one person talk about their vet being concerned about cholesterol and did not recommend eggs because of it. My opinion is that if you really only feed it as a treat, infrequently, then it is likely ok. Have you tried bugs yet?

3. Sounds to me like she is just a very defensive hedgehog and some of that could be from previous neglect or not being handled. I have had 2 rescues who were unhandled or mishandled and would pop at any noises. They both got over it in time (Patton took a year to do so). Be patient, and perhaps your’s will learn the sounds aren’t going to hurt her.

Snuffle!
Kalandra is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central – Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in