3-legged Hedgie - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-25-2010, 11:49 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default 3-legged Hedgie

So we brought home our two rescues last night, and they are just dolls! They are both males and are so sweet and friendly. I was surprised at how much they liked being held. They didn't take more than a minute to warm up to us.

We cleaned out their current cage (they were being housed together), and set up a new one. The wheels are too small so we're taking the one we bought back and buying two to replace them both. We gave them new bedding, some fresh water (their water bowl was pretty dirty), and some food. They ate and drank no problem. Both absolutely love their wheels more than anything.

But one of the hedgies has three legs. He had his right back leg bitten off by his previous owner's dog. It's a nub now. He moves around just fine, you wouldn't even notice if you didn't look. However, his nub is being rubbed raw. It's scabbed up and I'm worried about it. I am going to soak it tonight, to see if I can clean it up a bit. I will make an appt with the vet soon too. I was wondering about putting Neosporin on it but am afraid he might lick it off.

His bedding helps, but his wheel doesn't. I was thinking about sewing some cloth and glueing it to the inside of the wheel to make a soft area for him to run out. That way it wouldn't be as harsh as rubbing his nub on the plastic all night long. Does anyone have any ideas on how to help this little guy get some exercise? He doesn't even notice he's disabled. I wouldn't even call him disabled because he really has no problem getting around. I just don't want him to continuously rub it raw, leaving an open wound that's probably painful and likely to get infected.

Sorry that was so long. Any ideas are appreciated! Thanks!!
maligator is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-25-2010, 12:16 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: 3-legged Hedgie

Neosporin isn't safe for hedgies, but regular strength polysporin is.

Most hedgies poop on their wheels, so fabric might not be the way to go. Craft foam might work...those thin, soft sheets...but someone with more experience than me might have a better suggestion.
Judi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-25-2010, 12:49 PM   #3 (permalink)

My understanding is that 3-legged hedgies do just as well as their 4-legged buddies when it comes to wheel time.

If you decide to line his wheel; then, yes, go with craft foam. I've used it with Satin's wheel. It stands up to poop and pee for a handful of nightly jaunts (wipe with damp sponge) and is inexpensive enough that you can replace it once it's begun to absorb the pee and not let it go. Use masking or scotch tape to stick it to the wheel - use a line of tape to cover the seam where the ends of the craft foam meet so little guy can't get a toe or foot stuck in the crack and hurt himself. I'd advise against glue... you'll want to be able to remove the craft foam.
Marlee Twyla Hufflepuff -- Big little girl
smhufflepuff is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2010, 12:54 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judi
Neosporin isn't safe for hedgies, but regular strength polysporin is.
Both neosporin or polysporin are fine, just so long as they're regular strength. Avoid the "pain relief" and "extra-strength" versions.
Old 08-25-2010, 01:04 PM   #5 (permalink)

Thanks to you both. I'll use some craft foam to line it. Should I not be worried about his nub scabbing then? I'm not sure how long he's been without his leg, but they are only 6 months old. Maybe the skin just hasn't toughened up yet?
Old 08-25-2010, 01:10 PM   #6 (permalink)
Master Breeders

SarahG has a hog with three legs named Stubbs and she does just fine .
Old 08-25-2010, 02:43 PM   #7 (permalink)

I'd probably go ahead and take him to the vet because he is a new rescue and does come with a fairly recent injury. Might be a good time to establish a relationship with the vet for him and his buddy.

Poor little guy must be terrified of dogs.

Is he bleeding at this point?
Old 08-25-2010, 06:08 PM   #8 (permalink)

My Stub does fantastic with three legs. She runs like crazy on her wheel and climbs all over everything! She lost her leg very early (less than a week old), so I don't really have any advice as to what to do with a recent injury. I do take extra care to keep the area where her leg is missing clean. Think poopy boots but in skin folds...gross! Rest assured, he'll be totally fine as soon as it's healed up.
Old 08-26-2010, 11:42 AM   #9 (permalink)

Thanks everyone. It's not bleeding, but it is very red. It's hard to get a good look at it because he hates being held that way, though last night he was very cooperative. So far he hasn't met any dogs, and the cat is afraid of them so all is well.

I will take him to the vet. I'm not so worried about it being painful anymore, because he's been on his wheel all night long both nights! He just loves it. He loves to play on my bed too, he goes around the perimeter (with me keeping a hand out in case he slips) and then burrows into my pillows and under my blankets. Both of them love it. They are such sweeties!
Old 08-26-2010, 12:17 PM   #10 (permalink)
PJM
Rescue

I'm so glad they are doing well! What did you name them? And of course, we would love to see pictures!

PJM is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in