Never a dull moment! - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

Like Tree6Likes
  • 1 Post By sheap
  • 2 Post By Lilysmommy
  • 2 Post By sheap
  • 1 Post By Lilysmommy

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-17-2014, 05:23 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Never a dull moment!

Hello all again, I thought I would update and get a bit of advice.

So as you may or may not know, I found a little hedgie on my Patio about a month and a half ago. Well after going through three prospective adopters (backing out on me at the last second) I decided to keep the little girl (I was getting attached, of course!) and have named her Nina (after Nina Varzar, Dmitri Shostakovich's first wife...I'm a music nerd)
https://www.hedgehogcentral.com/forum...e-new-hog.html

So anyways! On to the real question!

Last night I fell asleep reading in bed and consequently didn't give her her wheel (I usually give it to her around midnight so she doesn't run her feet raw, as she is more than just a runner....she's more like a marathon-every-night kinda gal!) and she decided that she would find a new way to amuse herself....and somehow escaped her house!

She fell about three feet and managed to crawl up and under the easy chair (it took my boyfriend and I all morning to find her...and eventually the dog actually told us where she was! But that's another story I can get into later).

What I am worried about now is

A) what should I look for as far as symptoms of her being hurt from her fall? She was hissing when I picked her up (which is completely normal for her, so good!) and walked around her cage just fine when I put her back (so no broken leg, right?) but are there other less noticeable symptoms?

B) I am temporarily escape-proofing her cage by using plastic paper holders (it worked for my first hedgie) but what are some other more less-unattractive ways (because nothing will probably be attractive!) to escape proof her cage? It's a 2x2 C&C (about 5.5sq ft) with 7in coroplast sides (which apparently isn't enough...thank you very much whoever said 6in was plenty! :P )

Sorry for all the parenthesis....I guess it's just one of those days! :P
kuroneko likes this.
sheap is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-17-2014, 10:23 PM   #2 (permalink)
Super Moderator

How bad do her feet get if you just leave her wheel in? I know sometimes hedgies will run their feet bloody a couple times, but the feet should toughen up after that, or so I've read.

For other symptoms, continue to watch her walking, just to make sure she wasn't hiding any injuries to her legs. Look for bruising (darker or discolored skin), and watch her poop especially - look for any blood or any black/dark sticky poops, which can indicate internal bleeding. And as usual, look for any changes in behavior/eating/drinking. If you see anything even slightly out of the ordinary, I'd take her in, just to be safe.

I'm sure I've seen other methods for escape-proofing C&Cs, but I just got home from class and I'm drawing a blank right now... If I remember anything useful, I'll try to come back & add on! I hope she turns out to be just fine after this mini-adventure.
JimmayAnne and Artist like this.

RIP my sweet Lily ~ 6/12/08 - 1/20/12
Lilysmommy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-18-2014, 09:25 AM   #3 (permalink)

Thanks Kelsey!

Her feet aren't bloody anymore, but if I let her run all night she doesn't eat as much as she should (and she's already under weight, about 256g and her sides are a bit concave. I have her on a mix of blue wilderness and royal canin 33 which is 20% fat) and she has persistent sores on the pads of her feet from running for 12 hours....Any advice on that?

She really likes the high fat food, but I am afraid to give her too much since it's not the best food...right now I give her 2-3g (which she snarffs down) out of a total consumption of 8-9g per night.

I didn't know that black poop was a sign of internal bleeding! I will definitely keep an eye on that! Her poops are usually pretty dark because I am also suspicious she doesn't drink as much water as she should. I don't think she is dehydrated (nice straw-ish colored urine), but maybe just not hydrated enough...But again once the wheel goes in, she doesn't want to stop for anything. (When she was in QT in the bathroom, she would even wheel while I was in the shower at 8am!)

Sorry for the long and rambling post, this girl is a handful. But she is so sweet and we are making big strides with bonding. I wouldn't trade her for anything!
Lilysmommy and kuroneko like this.
sheap is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2014, 07:27 PM   #4 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Hm...not sure on the sores, I can see how limiting the wheeling might be a better choice there. Sorry I can't offer much more advice! The only other thing I can think of is to add in another higher fat food to help with the weight issue. She sounds like quite the entertaining little girl! Good luck and I hope you continue to see no issues from the fall.
sheap likes this.

RIP my sweet Lily ~ 6/12/08 - 1/20/12
Lilysmommy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-22-2014, 12:11 PM   #5 (permalink)

Hector learned how to climb while he was in a temporary cage, so I made a kind of correx overhang to run around the edges of his usual cage, to stop him going up and over (his regular cage has 11 inch high correx but I was really paranoid after the temporary cage incident)

For each side, do a rectangle of correx about as long as the side and about......6 inches wide? Score and fold lengthways, about 2 inches in. Cut pairs of holes on either side of the score line. Then put it on the side of the cage so the shorter 2 inch edge runs down the outside, and then longer 4 inch edge pokes over the cage to form an overhang. Then use the holes to cable tie it down.

I'm not sure if it works because I decided not to use it - I haven't caught him climbing since (I think it was just being in the smaller cage) and it would make the cage difficult to take apart. But I figured that would stop him going up and over if he started it again.
rodanthi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in