Greetings and salutations. - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-10-2010, 05:41 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Greetings and salutations.

Picked up a new hedgehog for my wife on Sunday. She's always wanted one since she was a child, but unfortunately lived in the dictatorship of California most of her life. Now that we've moved to Oregon, I knew it was only a matter of time before she figured out she could get one legally. SO I took the preemptive step and got her a baby as a surprise from Hedgiepets. I have regretted the decision ever since.

See unlike what we were led to believe, this ball of fury has not been puffing or huffing. In fact the little beast wants to explore. EVERYWHERE. He does buck his head at us if we move to quickly, but then it's right back to running around. Now don't get me wrong, she loves him to death. No sir, any regrets are all mine.

Let me explain. Last night I finally decided to pick this spiny creature up and make sure it understood I was the lord and master of it's domain. It crawled into my hand, started licking me. I took this as a good sign of subservience. By no, then he started nibbling my fingers and palm. Then he started foaming at the mouth like a rabid hog, and contorting in unthinkable ways. All the while I stared at it in utter horror and mild discomfort as it's quills of death began piercing my palm. I turned to my wife for help, she simply giggled in delight. Obviously I underestimated my thorny opponent.

The wife loves him, and has named him Zumi. Short for the japanese name of Harinezumi (hedgehog). I wanted to name him Spike Fury, Destroyer of Worlds. Or perhaps Sir-Pricks-Alot. Obviously I lost that argument.

Behold, a picture of the foul beast.

You can see the toilet paper roll I attempted to catch him in. I used boiled egg as bait. He eventually found it, and spent 20 minutes running around with the roll stuck on his head. Any attempts at removing it resulted in lots of huffing, and or puffing.

I'm ordering either a flying saucer wheel or the carolina storm wheel tonight in hopes of calming the beast, and perhaps luring it into a false sense of security, before I finally usurp his unnatural hold over my castle and family. My dog even rolled over on his belly for the spiky creature. He shames me.

I will not show my fear to the beast, and I hope that those of you who also suffer under the oppression of hedgehogs will welcome us into your community.

Old 08-10-2010, 06:01 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: Greetings and salutations.

Hahaha, what a great intro! Welcome to the forum.

I got my boy Inky from Deneen three years ago. If you ever need someone to hedgiesit, I'm in Salem if you need me!

LizardGirl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-10-2010, 06:04 PM   #3 (permalink)

Welcome to HHC Good luck trying to break the hold of the oppressive hedgehog over your household, they are too lovable and you may have just met a tough opponent lol

Old 08-10-2010, 06:46 PM   #4 (permalink)
Hooked on Hogs

Retired from breeding

Rescue contact for both the Hedgehog Welfare Society and the IHA
Rescued over 70 (and counting) hedgehogs needing a new home

http://freewebs.com/thehedgieden/
Nancy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-10-2010, 08:23 PM   #5 (permalink)
PJM
Rescue

Any attempt to thwart his rule over your household will result in your immediate expulsion.. Alas, you must bend to the will of your new overlord.
Go, and peace be with you.
(He's a real cutie, by the way!)

PJM is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-10-2010, 08:38 PM   #6 (permalink)
Master Breeders

Welcome to the Forum Your hedgie is stunning :P
Old 08-10-2010, 09:19 PM   #7 (permalink)

Awesome introduction! Made me laugh! Welcome to the forum, I think you already fit in!
Your hedgie is adorable!
Old 08-10-2010, 10:03 PM   #8 (permalink)
Super Moderator

...I think you're my new favorite person ever. XDDD I was giggling the whole time I read that.

Welcome to HHC and good luck trying to win your kingdom back! I predict you'll have a difficult time of it. You might want to stock up on supplies to last you for a long battle!

RIP my sweet Lily ~ 6/12/08 - 1/20/12
Lilysmommy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-10-2010, 10:51 PM   #9 (permalink)

Thanks for the warm welcomings!

I'm still disturbed he decided to, "annoint" on me as the experts call it. I've read all the theories on that subject, I think everyone is wrong. I believe the hedgehogs take the scent, and put it on themselves like barbarians, believing it will give them power. These are savage creatures, do not let their cuteness fool you.

And Lizardgirl, thanks for the offer. I live in Mcminnville, so if you ever need a sitter also the offer stands as well. Deneen was nothing but helpful during the pick up. She mentioned Zumi, (aka the anti-hedgie) was quilling. But it doesn't seem to make him to grumpy. Once the wife takes him out of the cage he's nothing but daisies and lollipops. I know it's all just an act though.

He was given a bath today. I looked forward to this, thinking to the baby hedgie it would be pure torture, and perhaps a tool of coercion. Unfortunately, he entered the bath stoically, relishing in the warm water. He even shook himself dry, all over me..

He's won this round.

My wife was curious about those hamster balls, would that be alright for a hedgehog? Personally I told her that we really don't need to give the beast a mobile oppression palace. She just glared at me.
Old 08-10-2010, 11:32 PM   #10 (permalink)

MOBILE OPPRESSION PALACE!!!!
(futurama reference)

That's one evil overlord you got there.

Kashi is the tyrannical leader of our family. He expects us to serve him copious amounts of mealworms and provide our tummies as beds any time he wishes...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in