General vet costs - Page 2 - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

Like Tree11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-04-2014, 01:39 PM   #11 (permalink)

How common are serious issues such as surgeries or histopathology?
Nikkinak44 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-05-2014, 05:50 PM   #12 (permalink)
Super Moderator

They're more common than we'd like, I think. Hedgehogs are unfortunately very prone to getting tumors and such, which generally need surgery to remove and histopathology to determine if it's malignant or not. Females can also have uterine issues that require spaying, which is generally $400-600. Even just something like having to look at a mouth/tooth issue (also prone to these) can end up rather expensive because the vet needs to knock them out in order to get a proper look in the mouth.

Like Kalandra said, it's a good idea to make sure you have money saved away for emergency expenses. Once I have a hedgehog again (or any other animals), I'm hoping to have an emergency fund of at least $500 (for one animal - more if I have multiple) set aside, since they'll be depending solely on me. I saw your thread that you'll have to wait a couple more months until you get your baby...that means a couple more months to keep setting money aside for a vet fund, at least! I would start doing that now so that you'll be prepared.

RIP my sweet Lily ~ 6/12/08 - 1/20/12
Lilysmommy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-05-2014, 06:22 PM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilysmommy View Post
They're more common than we'd like, I think. Hedgehogs are unfortunately very prone to getting tumors and such, which generally need surgery to remove and histopathology to determine if it's malignant or not. Females can also have uterine issues that require spaying, which is generally $400-600. Even just something like having to look at a mouth/tooth issue (also prone to these) can end up rather expensive because the vet needs to knock them out in order to get a proper look in the mouth.

Like Kalandra said, it's a good idea to make sure you have money saved away for emergency expenses. Once I have a hedgehog again (or any other animals), I'm hoping to have an emergency fund of at least $500 (for one animal - more if I have multiple) set aside, since they'll be depending solely on me. I saw your thread that you'll have to wait a couple more months until you get your baby...that means a couple more months to keep setting money aside for a vet fund, at least! I would start doing that now so that you'll be prepared.

Sounds good. thanks so much.
shelbythehedgehog likes this.
Nikkinak44 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2014, 08:09 PM   #14 (permalink)

I have a related question. I know females have a high rate of getting obstetric cancers, would it be more beneficial for me to get my baby spayed? How much would something like that cost? I have a vet in mind but when I call and ask I just want to get an idea of they are insanely over priced or not.
aclarino is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-06-2014, 03:43 PM   #15 (permalink)

I would get her spayed. I just went thru a uterine tumor/bleeding with my girl. The vet said that the surgery is riskier the older they get and as they get older, the chance of tumors increases.

Also if they've been bleeding, there's the chance that they would be too weak and anemic to tolerate the surgery. I was so scared she wouldn't make it.

PLUS once they start bleeding, you don't know if the tumors have spread--too many cases of that. Usually once the tumors start spreading, they may have to euthanize.

Costs all depend on where you are, going rate in the area, lots of factors.

Nara's surgery was about $200 BUT she had the required blood tests and xrays at the vet previously which cost about $350. But then again, Nara is almost 4, not sure what it would have cost had she been younger, if different. Luckily I am older (in my 50's) so that kind of money was no problem.

It wouldn't hurt to shop around, if you can but hopefully you can find someone who is experienced.

There are always risks to surgery, I know there have been hedgies that were young and still didn't make it thru surgery due to complications.

You have to decide what is best for you and your girl.

ML
Lilysmommy likes this.

Last edited by MomLady; 04-06-2014 at 03:45 PM. Reason: additional notes
MomLady is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in