Taking hedgie outside: yay or nay? - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By Lilysmommy

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-27-2014, 04:28 PM   #1 (permalink)

Question Taking hedgie outside: yay or nay?

So, I'm getting my first hedgie soon (yay!). I'm trying to make a general schedule for things like cage cleanings, baths, what insects/vegetables to give on which days, because I'm the type of person that likes to have that sort of thing at my disposal to ensure that it's basically impossible for me to forget. I was thinking of taking my hedgie outside once a week for maybe 15 minutes, and here's what I've gathered after some research: it's okay as long as you don't let the hedgehog out of your sight and don't let it eat any bugs.

I was thinking of getting a playpen and setting it on top of a fleece blanket, then putting some toys in there. Does this defeat the purpose of taking hedgie outside, and am I being too paranoid? :3

Also, I live in Texas. During the Summer, it is HOT!! How hot is too hot for a hedgehog to be outside, even in the shade? (P.S. no worries about the inside temp, there's a window AC unit in the room the hedgehog will be in to ensure that the temperature is always being monitored carefully)
Mrs.Lovette is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-27-2014, 05:28 PM   #2 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Welcome to the forum!

There's a few other things to double check on when taking hedgie outside - make sure the grass isn't wet (rain or dew), make sure there's no pesticides or other chemicals used on the grass, and watch for predators. It's a good idea to stick close to your hedgie in addition to keep them within eyesight since they can move quickly, and so you're prepared to intervene or scoop hedgie up in case of wildlife (particularly birds) or other animals (loose cats/dogs, etc.) getting too close.

That sounds like a good idea! Just make sure you don't rely on the playpen & step away for any amount of time. It's still best to stay right there, even if hedgie is contained. You can put the blanket down if you want, but you could also do just the playpen & toys. Hedgie will still get plenty of stimulation smelling all of the new scents of the great outdoors & get some fresh air and such.

As far as higher temperatures...I think in the 90's would probably be okay, with access to shade & a bowl of water in the playpen. It shouldn't be a big issue since you're planning on outdoor time being 15 minutes or so. I'm guessing if it's up into the 100's, you won't want to be outside for that long anyway, but that could just be the Michigander in me speaking.

Just keep in mind that some hedgies want nothing to do with being outside, so you may have to wait & see how your little one does with the adventure.
hlsiefken and Eden like this.

RIP my sweet Lily ~ 6/12/08 - 1/20/12
Lilysmommy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in