adjusting to a new home - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-27-2010, 06:27 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default adjusting to a new home

The post on Craigslist ended up working out & today I brought home Brillo! He is so beautiful! Before the car ride I held him while he was in a pillow like bed & he was walking around and very friendly. He only huffed once during the 20 minute period. After the car ride his attitude changed (which I expected) and he was nervous and huffing occasionally. Around 3:30 I left him to be alone in his home. I went on a few errands & while I was away my one roommate informed me that he was moving around and exploring the cage. Currently he is sleeping.
He came with two smaller sterilite bins connected together & then an aquarium (29 gallon tall). The previous owner ran out of bedding so there is currently normal newspaper in the bottom.
This afternoon I bought a new sterilite container for him. It is much larger than the one he is in now. I also bought fleece to line the bottom with, an igloo (to replace the wooden hut) and an extra tissue box to fill with fleece to give him something to play with. I was wondering what would be better: a) keep him in the home he is in now since that is what he is used to or b) immediately transition him into a new home.
I wasn't sure if that all this change at once would be good or not. Good news is I went and bought new food (closer to my adoption of him he was just eating Wellness adult cat and kitten food) and bought him purina one natural blend & he ate a couple pieces that I put in front of him. So in his food dish now he has the purina mixed with wellness and eventually I'll only put the purina in & feed wellness as a treat.
At about 9:30 I'm going to turn off the lights and attempt a 20 minute bonding session.
bangeranggg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in