New hedgie! + question - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-24-2010, 05:52 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default New hedgie! + question

:3 I went and got this feller today http://twitpic.com/1zmu1u He (i'm sure it's a he) was very active and on the way home decided to fall asleep. He's out of the box and exploring his new home now. Keeps going back to the water bowl, he was very thirsty!

The question I have today is:
Is the product below something I can give to my hedgehog, or does he really not need it? I also have to slowly switch him over from the Hedgehog Diet 8 in 1 they were feeding, to Natural Balance Green pea and duck. Will this help his tummy adjust to the change?

The girl who helped me at the store gave me a package of Ornabac, which "contains Lactobacillus byproducts and Vitamin B." She says it to settle his tummy until he's used to his new home. Here's information on the back of the box:

Statement of Ingredients:
Processed Grain By-Products, Condensed Lactobacillus Frementation Solubles (I think they meant "fermentation"...?) and Vitamin B12 Supplement

Guaranteed Analysis:
(looks like it's within good ratios for hedgies)

Vitamins:
Vitamin B12 - 0.006 mcg

Thank you More pictures will be uploaded soon!

Get to know Hedgeworth von Scrubs on my hedgehog blog~ :3
Faifai is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-24-2010, 08:04 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: New hedgie! + question

It doesn't sound like it would hurt him too much but it also doesn't seem necessary... Usually rehoming stress will sort itself out quickly without a need for any acidophilus supplements.

LizardGirl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-24-2010, 11:17 PM   #3 (permalink)

Okay, thank you. I guess if I spot any tummy upset I'll try giving this to him. He seems to be doing well, I was able to pick him up for a bit and he was really active. Also ate some food and has been sleeping for 4 hours now. I have a feeling we'll get along quite well.

Old 06-25-2010, 06:38 PM   #4 (permalink)

While there aren't a whole lot of quills fallen out yet, I think my hedgehog has just started quilling, but I'm not sure.

His skin, at least behind his ears, seems to be flaky and dry and I did find one random quill stuck to the fleece blanket in the cage today. Not to mention he's been huffy and hates it when I touch his quills, but is actually fine if I pet or touch his furry parts. (granted, at this stage he huffs up when my hand gets close at all)

I may try giving him a soothing bath in the next few days, but I just wanted to double-check.

**also** .... There seems to be something stuck to his nose. There was a tiny piece of aspen there, and then he got a piece of blue fluff on there which I managed to rub off with a fleece blanket... I think the aspen is still stuck there. How do I get it off tactfully? I don't want it to get infected and he won't stay still enough for me to take it out gently... Should I just go in there with tweezers?

Old 06-25-2010, 11:43 PM   #5 (permalink)

If you think he will be cooperative, you can try to use fine-pointed tweezers to grab the shaving. If you are afraid you'll push it in farther or that he won't sit still for it, I'd have to say take him to the vet and see if you can team up to get it out safely, or have him gassed and it removed. I guess it depends on how likely it will stay there and cause problems.

LizardGirl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-26-2010, 03:06 AM   #6 (permalink)

Thank you LizardGirl... Fortunately I was able to be quick enough and grab hold of it with with pair of loooong tweezers I have, and I'm so relieved that I got it out instead of pulling it the wrong way and causing more damage. There was no blood once I removed it, and my hedgie stopped huffing just for a bit as if thinking "Oh! My nose stings a lot but there's nothing stuck in it anymore."

Now all I have to worry about is if he'll be grumpy forever. >: lol.

P.S. Do you think it's too early to try giving him a soothing bath for his dry skin?

Old 06-26-2010, 09:51 AM   #7 (permalink)
Hooked on Hogs

Give him time. If he were truly grumpy, you would not have even been able to see his nose, let alone touch it with tweezers.

Retired from breeding

Rescue contact for both the Hedgehog Welfare Society and the IHA
Rescued over 70 (and counting) hedgehogs needing a new home

http://freewebs.com/thehedgieden/
Nancy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-26-2010, 11:28 AM   #8 (permalink)

One thing that really stood out was that this little guy has not balled up on me at all. Only once, and that was because I woke him up and from under the fleece he was startled and confused. Even then he was quick to uncurl, even if he kept on huffing!

I've got another issue.... Are hedgehogs prone to having stuff stuck to their noses? This morning I noticed he's got another blue fluff stuck to his nose AGAIN.

Old 06-26-2010, 11:31 AM   #9 (permalink)
Hooked on Hogs

Getting things stuck to their nose really isn't any more common than with a dog or cat. By any chance is his nose runny?

Retired from breeding

Rescue contact for both the Hedgehog Welfare Society and the IHA
Rescued over 70 (and counting) hedgehogs needing a new home

http://freewebs.com/thehedgieden/
Nancy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-27-2010, 09:47 PM   #10 (permalink)

Hi Nancy,
After reading your post I had a look today and he doesn't seem to have a runny nose. I believe the fluff as sticking to a wound on his nose, and when I put him back in the cage after removing the first fluff and piece of aspen he likely dug around in the hedgie sack and got the other piece of fluff stuck on the still-healing wound or up his nose. There's nothing on there since I removed the previous fluff, and the wound looks to be healing fine.

Thank you for your help

I have chosen a name for him! He is now Hedgeworth von Scrubs.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in