Hedgie introduction to other pets - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-12-2008, 04:47 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Hedgie introduction to other pets

Yet another question from me - sorry everyone for all the posts. Thanks so much for everyone's help.

I've got two dogs and a cat. When I'm finally able to bring home my hedgie, what are the best ways to introduce the various animals?
wombatgirl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-12-2008, 04:53 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: Hedgie introduction to other pets

Let your hedgie get acquainted with his/her surroundings first. Let them be in their cage for a few days before taking them out to play, etc. Then, I would let them get used to you before introducing any new pets into the equation. S/he will be stressed enough as it is without fearing another animal (and thus, potential predator in their eyes) that's a lot bigger than s/he is.

When everyone's comfy (meaning you with your hedgie and your hedgie with you), then I would slowly, one-by-one, introduce kitties and doggies. BE PREPARED FOR THE WORST. Just in case, it's always better to be over prepared than under, but you'd be surprised how well hedgies can stand their ground.

We introduced one of our guys to my in-laws boxer, and the boxer sniffed him and as soon as Sebastian tensed up and hissed, the boxer yelped and ran off You just need to be very very careful and try not to put too many new things in your hedgie's life at once, so as to avoid as much stress as possible.
sebian is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-13-2008, 06:49 PM   #3 (permalink)

Default Re: Hedgie introduction to other pets

We have had our Sweet Pea for one month this Friday and we just started letting our Sheltie into the the room when our hedgie is playing in her enclosed gate. Last night our dog laid down and didn't make a peep, just watched her through the gate. Sweet Pea came over to where our dog was and smelled the air, poked her nose through the opening and just walked away. Our dog kept looking at us and then back to the hedgehog. It was so cute. We are keeping things pretty calm for Sweet Pea since she is quilling and doesn't like much of anything right now.
weddinglady is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in