standing tall on hine legs - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-01-2010, 08:45 PM   #1 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to lover_of_the_spiked1
Default standing tall on hine legs

my little guy lil fuzz dosnt stand high up off the ground on all four like everyone pics of there hedeghogs. is this normal that he dosnt stand up as high? if you understand what im talking about lol he picks his belly up only a little : /
Advertisement

Old 06-01-2010, 08:59 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: standing tall on hine legs

For normal walking, my Basil walks with his bum nearly dragging on the ground. If they really want to get up and go, they stand on all four with belly clearence. I think mine's just too lazy.
Old 06-01-2010, 09:15 PM   #3 (permalink)

Every hedgie is different. Some are just "low riders".
nessariel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2010, 09:37 PM   #4 (permalink)

ha thanks you guys i have had mine for a year and the other day when he got his head stuck in a toliet paper roll it was the first time id ever seen him do it, i knew he was a low rider lol but didnt know if it mattered! anyone know how long it takes to get them out of himbernation ? i dont know if anyone has read my very frist issue but we have gotten the light the heat light and the digital thermomitar and we have been keeping the air in better range of the hedgehog for about a week now.. when is he suppose to stop falling down and wobbling, we also made some other improments such as a play pen with a 2 ended open pop tart box ^_^ two tolit paper rolls taped togeather to make it bigger so he dosnt get his head stuck i found even with it cut open it just wasnt working lol and now my newest idea today my bbq pringals can two types of hedgehog food he likes them both not my falt : / and some yogart treats? idk it said it was for all the other rat creaters and milworms and can cat food i know i make him sound like a fat ass hes so not lol hes small for his size i dont think the ppl that had him feed him right and he dosnt get all this everynight
Old 06-01-2010, 11:29 PM   #5 (permalink)

Your hedgie sounds normal, mine looks tall when he walks but a lot of pictures Ive seen have the low riders. I don't know for sure but I always assummed the low riders did it to because it made them feel more stealthy lol

As for the Yogurt treats, if they are the ones Im thinking of they are not good for hedgies. The ones Im thinking of are basically just refined sugar and no animal really needs that as a treat. I know its hard though because there is a bunch of products out there and it can get overwhelming but Ive pretty much come to the conclusion since Ive got my hedgie that 97% of stuff at petstores is no good and the only reason I go there now is because they carry the food I use.
Old 06-02-2010, 12:37 AM   #6 (permalink)

Hey,

Let's slow down and take a deep breath. I'm finding you a little hard to understand. Basic spelling and punctuation would help.

For the question about standing "tall" or not, yep, your guy sounds normal. Some carry their belly higher up and some practically drag on the ground. Just an individual thing.

For hibernation, they will die if they are not brought out of it soon after. I don't have any particular amount of time, I don't think anyone is willing to risk a hedgie's life to find out, but the longer they attempt hibernation the more likely it is it will be fatal. After you find them attempting hibernation, it can take up to an hour for them to start acting like themselves again. You should warm him up with your body heat, that way it is gradual. It's normal for them wobbly and lethargic, but hopefully they recover from the added heat. It's good to hear you've added heat and are giving him things to play with.

Like Hedgieonboard said, the yogurt drops are very unhealthy (I think Nikki mentioned that to you in another post, also?). Mealworms and canned cat food are fine.

LizardGirl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-02-2010, 09:59 PM   #7 (permalink)

she may have said it in another post, I get on here and post different things and then i never know when i will get on again, so its posibble lol and I just haven't read it yet, but I just picked up the yogart treats so idk.. and I'm talking about days of having the light and the heat and body heat, I'm sorry I am a very bad speller and when i get excited it doesn't help much thank you all for the reply , lil fuzz is still wobbly. Is this something that will be permernant?

Thank You Jodie
P.S my boyfriend edit my spelling and grammer before i sent this to you

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in