Pros and cons of adding to the family? - Hedgehog Central – Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-13-2010, 08:37 PM   #1 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to Free2Dream
Default Pros and cons of adding to the family?

Well, long story short, I have been contemplating getting a second hedgehog for a while now. Annabelle is such a joy! (No one told me that hedgie were so addictive,lol.) Until last night, I had no idea of when this might be... it was just an idea I had. But then last night I was innocently browsing Craigslist for lost cat listings (a little kitten had followed me home from class ) and the first thing that came up was a post for a hegehog in need, right in my area.

Anyway, to those of you with multiple hedgies... pros, cons? Would it be possible to introduce Annabelle to the new addition, or should they be kept completely separate? (I don't plan on housing them together by any means, but joint playtimes sound fun.) I'm assuming a quarentine period would be necessary?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-13-2010, 10:34 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: Pros and cons of adding to the family?

Yes quarentaine is necessary, only after that you could try to introduce Anabelle to your nre hedgie if it's a girl too of course. Of course it's twice the cleaning (cage and wheels) but it's not so bad. As for food, I just don't waste anymore (it use to expiry before I end the bag) and my vet does rebate when I bring my gang. That said, you have to have the finance for another one.

Gone, but never forgotten
Etsy shop: K52 artworks
K52 artworks on Facebook
FiaSpice is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-14-2010, 12:16 PM   #3 (permalink)

That's how I found Calvin (I'm not allowed to be on Craigslist anymore Mine are both boys, so they have to be kept separate. So, one con is buy and having room for a second cage. And a second wheel. There's an extra wheel to clean in the mornings, but you're already there anyway.

Fun parts:
your roommate (mom) has her own hedgie to cuddle with and doesn't steal yours
totally different personalities to chuckle over

Oh, double the vet bills. I took Calvin in right away to make sure he was healthy.

I board them when I'm on vacation so that's double, plus transporting two cages to the boarder

I love having two and don't regret adopting Calvin. Ender might (Calvin's noisier in his wheel).

Jodi
jopenguin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2010, 12:35 PM   #4 (permalink)
Administrator

Yes you will have to do a quarantine. You wouldn't want to risk getting the one you currently have sick because the CL hedgehog had something. This means that you will have to spend twice the amount of time you normally would doing hedgehog stuff. It also means you need to have space to separate the hedgehogs, preferably in a different room. Quarantine can be quite tedious and annoying, but it is an absolute must, or else you risk getting your current hedgehog sick.

After quarantine, your time commitment will reduce some, but you will still need to spend time with both, and will have additional cages to clean, wheels, etc. Also your risk for veterinary bills increases with each hedgehog you add.

Another thing to consider... when you take in a CL hedgehog you also run the risk of getting a very unsocialized, unhealthy, or even a biting hedgehog. Do you have the time to deal with such things... or for that matter are you prepared to try to resocialize a hissing, clicking, popping quill ball? I don't recall what your experience with Annabelle has been like, but if you haven't dealt with an unsocial hedgehog, I'll be honest with you, these are not exactly fun additions to have in your family. They require a lot of patience, and hope that they will come around and be easier to deal with. Some never do come around. But they can also be some of the friendliest later, and can give you a great feeling of accomplishment when they do improve.

I'm not trying to discourage you... just ensure you really are prepared for the time and just what you may be up against.

Snuffle!
Kalandra is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-14-2010, 06:33 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalandra
Do you have the time to deal with such things... or for that matter are you prepared to try to resocialize a hissing, clicking, popping quill ball?
This. Having personally experienced this, I can tell you that it isn't a lot of fun getting constantly prickled by an irritable hedgepig, not to mention that with some, you risk getting bitten every time you put your hand anywhere near them. Quillamina was like this when I first rescued her, and it's taken me an entire year to make her 'come out of her shell,' as it were. If you're prepared to deal with all this and willing to commit to resocializing (or just plain socializing, sometimes people don't bother to spend any time at all with the hedgehogs that they're giving away) then by all means, go for it. It feels amazing when you reach a milestone with a rescued hedgie, as I'm sure many of the posters here can tell you.

If you need any tips on rehabilitating a neglected or antisocial hedgehog (should you find that this one, if you bring him/her home, falls into this category) I'd be more than happy to share what I learned from my experiences with Quillamina.

Good luck, give Annabelle a kiss for me. <3
There's never enough.
All we wanna do is have a good time,
Having lots of fun with all these friends of mine.
All we wanna do is celebrate.
Every time we've been together, it's been great.
Looking for adventure, big and small.
Just being with our friends like you is all we wanna do.
Sela is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-14-2010, 10:24 PM   #6 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to Free2Dream

Thanks so much for the replies, guys! I have been thinking hard about this for the past couple of days. I have an extra cash fund set up, and have extra supplies, so I'm not too worried about that. I also have a separate room where I can conduct the quarantine safely. From what I've seen of the hedgie, she looks healthy and alert, but there's only so much you can tell from pictures. How long should the quarantine last? Two weeks?
Old 04-14-2010, 10:27 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Free2Dream
How long should the quarantine last? Two weeks?
I think 30 days is standard.
Old 04-14-2010, 11:53 PM   #8 (permalink)

And you need to do more than just quarantine. I recently adopted a new boy and unfortunately wasn't able to keep him in a separate room, but still kept him totally separated. Despite hand washing and disinfecting anything communal (like the scale) my 2 girls still wound up with a mysterious illness (which I am stilll dealing with *sigh*) and yet my new little boy is as fit as a fiddle. We're still not even sure if it's the new hedgie's fault but I just wanted to point out that even with the hedgie is a separate quarentine room you will still have to take further precautions like handwashing and even clothe changing between hedgies.

It may sound like a total pain in the butt but trust me dealing with sick hedgies is wayyy worse!

Good luck with your new hedgie if you end up getting one
Old 04-15-2010, 08:30 AM   #9 (permalink)
Administrator

Handwashing and cloth changing should be part of your quarantine routine. You never touch or hold your current hedgehogs after touching the new one. Otherwise you are cross contaminating.

I care for the current hedgehogs first, and then the newbie. After that clothes are changed, and hands and arms are washed.

Quarantine should last 4-6 weeks. If you run into an illness along the way, the time starts over after the problem has been cured. For instance, if you have a hedgehog you have taken in and at 3 weeks it develops a URI. You treat the URI and the vet considers it gone after 2 weeks, you start the 4 weeks over at that point.

Sounds to me like you are leaning towards getting the hedgehog. Whenever I take in a hedgehog that their previous owner no longer has time for/wants/etc. I prepare myself for one that may need veterinary care and is unfriendly. Then when I get a healthy and/or friendly hedgehog, I consider it a bonus.

Snuffle!
Kalandra is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-15-2010, 04:13 PM   #10 (permalink)

Something that some people forget about regarding quarantine, is to not touch the new animal to your face without washing afterwards. Sounds strange but I know I kiss all my pets on the forehead, and sometimes their bellies (mostly rats though hedgie-roll-up on nose isn't quite as comfortable). If you do kiss the new guy or girl definitely remember to scrub your face too.

Haha, I may just be weird, but I know at least *some* people like to do that.

LizardGirl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central – Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in