Owning Male and Female Hedgies?~ No Breeding - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-31-2010, 09:41 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Owning Male and Female Hedgies?~ No Breeding

http://cnj.craigslist.org/pet/1668179411.html <-- This is the link for the Craigslist ad that I posted on here.
So of course when I mention this hedgie to my fiance' he thinks we should get him! My only concern is that we now have Miss Muffet who's a girl and this is a boy. I wouldn't want them in contact with one another, of course, so I wanted to hear from anyone who has male AND female hedgies and how it works out. I know we would have to keep them separate at all times but would we also have to keep them in separate rooms or just separate cages? Being that they are induced ovulators (from my understanding), would it be unhealthy in any way to house them separately but within the same room? I wouldn't want her going crazy because a boy's in the room but I'm just not sure so I figured I'd ask.

Sorry if anyone read this on my other post. I was going to combine it but decided to ask as a separate post.

Old 03-31-2010, 09:51 AM   #2 (permalink)
Administrator

Default Re: Owning Male and Female Hedgies?~ No Breeding

I keep all of my hedgehogs in the same room, and I think you will find that most who have boys and girls do too. I've never noticed any change in either health or behavior when a boy or girl was added. For me, I keep their cages apart (far enough for me to walk between them), but that distance is mostly just so I can move around the cages easier.

If you have the time and space to commit to having a boy and girl, and time to deal with quarantine, go for it.

Snuffle!
Kalandra is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-31-2010, 11:23 AM   #3 (permalink)
Hooked on Hogs

My boys and girls are all in the same room. I have stacking cages and have boys above, below and beside girls. My cage units have solid sides so there is no chance of any contact between the bars. At one point in time I tried keeping same sex to their own cage unit but that very quickly became just about impossible as one would go on to a new home or pass on and the next one is happened to be the opposite sex.

If you are using wire cages, just make sure they are far enough apart that they can't reach each other.

Retired from breeding

Rescue contact for both the Hedgehog Welfare Society and the IHA
Rescued over 70 (and counting) hedgehogs needing a new home

http://freewebs.com/thehedgieden/
Nancy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2010, 02:37 PM   #4 (permalink)

I have a Ferret Nation 142 and I have my girl in the top and my boy in the bottom. I have never had any concerns or issues. I have made sure the cages are very secure so they can't get to each other and honestly? I'm not sure either of them even know the other is even there
Old 03-31-2010, 03:16 PM   #5 (permalink)

Thanks everyone!
You've really put my mind at ease! If anything, I'd house them in 2 different cages to start (especially because of quarantine) and possibly eventually get a ferret nation or similar where I could make better use of the space. Oddly enough, there's yet another hedgie on CL who is close to where I live (this one is about 10 minutes from my house) but I'm just waiting to hear back with a little more info from that person. I've contacted HWS as well. At least now I feel better so even if I don't end up with one of these guys, I won't hesitate for the future.

Thanks again!!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in