I've made a terrible mistake :sad: - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

Like Tree17Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-13-2014, 09:05 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default I've made a terrible mistake :sad:

I've only had Colin for a short period of time but I already can hardly sleep at night if I don't hear his eating and drinking and running around. I'm in absolute love with him so I thought I could make things work by bringing him to the townhouse with me (in a college-owned suburban neighborhood).

I feel sick and like I'm going to cry because it's day two and it's been terrible. It's cold because everyone keeps putting the thermostat down to 65 when I asked them not to, they just don't care. I was out buying a heating pad for him and one of my roommates friend was trying to mess with him; thankfully the ONE roommate that does understand stopped her.

The heating pad, which I put underneath his cage, gets really warm but it has a stupid 60 minute timer, but it was all I could find, so I put a towel on top hoping it will trap in the heat over night.

I'm bringing him home thursday right after my last class, which gets out at 2:10, and never ever doing this again. I felt sick when I saw he hadn't eaten anything when he's normally a little piglet and munches all night, and had to give him the wet cat food my mom gave me to get him to eat, because he'll eat wet cat food regardless of the situation, it seems, and from past experience, it'll get him to start eating the dry stuff again, too.

It's all my fault because I thought I could make this work, and I've hated these townhouses since moving in so I thought having him would make me feel better but I just feel awful.

It's loud and uncomfortable (for us both, personally, I hate this college atmosphere)

I'm also taking him to the vet this weekend because he's been licking his nose a lot so now I'm especially worried about the cold. I've been keeping him under my sweater and he falls asleep in my lap under my computer a lot and if I could sleep with him I would..

This is the worst thing I think I've ever done >..<

Last edited by Lady; 01-13-2014 at 09:08 PM.
Lady is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-13-2014, 09:18 PM   #2 (permalink)

I'm actually going to bring him back tomorrow because I don't have class wednesday and I can spend all that time trying to recuperate.

Old 01-13-2014, 09:18 PM   #3 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to sweetergrrrl

Take a deep breath. It will be ok.

I saw hand and foot warmers at Target for $1 the other day. I bought a bunch of packs just in case. (The foot warmers have 2 per package so I went with those). I would check your local Target for some also. Most of them have 10+ hours of heat.

Also, small space heaters are available at Target. Just get a little one and plug it in near his house. My herd stays about 73 degrees even if the apartment is about 69-70.

I know it sucks sometimes to live in a college setting... I was in living with 3 guys when I got my first hedgie. Trust me, not an easy situation.

It will be ok. Breathe and cuddle your little man.
Lilysmommy and Lady like this.

sweetergrrrl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2014, 09:33 PM   #4 (permalink)

Co-housing can be so frustrating.

Go ahead and be obsessive about checking on him frequently tonight and tomorrow until you can get him back in a controlled situation.

Stick a note on the thermostat that reads, "Do not touch before Tuesday 6pm, or you will kill my hedgehog." (or whatever time Tuesday you can move him home). May as well be blunt if they're going to endanger your little friend (and buy the good-housemate who protected the thermostat earlier a coffee or chocolate or a flower or something as a thank-you once things are resolved).
sweetergrrrl and SpikeMoose like this.
Annie&Tibbers is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-13-2014, 09:57 PM   #5 (permalink)

I did actually leave a note saying "Please do not lower below 70 for Colin, as anything colder will kill him." and i found the note later like, somewhere else. That's when I put a note on his cage saying not to bother at all because I think he might be sick, and that was this afternoon. Later tonight (about 6:30) was when I went out for the heating pad and regardless of the note, someone had tried to mess with him (I love hedgie defense mechanisms though, changes minds fast!), and she, the good roomie, had stopped her.

On a more personal note, I'm also annoyed with all my other roomie's friends (I have four roommates, just to give you an idea) coming in, seeing him, and telling me I should be wearing gloves, or telling me that you normally wear gloves, they were also calling him a porcupine.

With the towel and new heating pad his cage is showing 76 degrees right now, which puts me at a little ease, because that's what it normally is at home. Occasionally I'll move the bedding around him just to see him spike up and see that he's okay...ish.

Thank you for talking me through this..! I've been having nervous attacks all day and nearly in tears wondering if he's gonna be alright over this..

Old 01-13-2014, 10:21 PM   #6 (permalink)

They're screwing with him in his cage?! Wow. Not ok. Good job on being quilly, tiny friend!

But hey, fast filter for knowing which roommates (and which of their friends) to completely write off in the future. Anyone who declares they know best and overrides your experience and research can be safely ignored.

I don't know Michigan-weather, and I expect it's crazy cold so this is probably a very bad idea, but some people have brought their hedgehogs along with them to classes during the day, tucked inside their sweatshirts. The day of disturbed sleep may be better than the roommates pawing at him. Make your judgement on that.

For when you get him safely home again, one way to still feel connected with him would be to set up a webcam maybe? I haven't done it, but I think some of other users have, some even that hook into smartphones. No idea about the price on that type of equipment, though.
Lady likes this.
Annie&Tibbers is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-13-2014, 10:39 PM   #7 (permalink)

I'd love to bring him to class with me tomorrow! It's actually been warmer the past 2 days..here anyway, it's been getting into the high 30's. Which, no, is definitely not hedgie weather, but I could cuddle him close to my belly on the short walk in. Problem is he's a poop gremlin and very active when not in his cage. I think the only reason he even fell asleep with me today is because he was stressed and it was warm.

As for the gloves thing, I'm proud to say I'm so used to his quills now I can just scoop him up like a spiky potato.

Last edited by Lady; 01-13-2014 at 10:48 PM.
Old 01-13-2014, 11:06 PM   #8 (permalink)

The spiky potato scoop is the safest for him, and is the earned skill of hedgie lovers! I'm glad you are handling him comfortably, but he is clearly still protecting himself from others... he trusts you!
When I first got Milton, my first baby, my boyfriends band mate turned the heater down to 65 and took the wheel out of his cage because it was loud and he was sleeping on our couch that night. I'm an obsessed momma and didn't hear feet pattering when I went to the bathroom and discovered my poor baby. Thank goodness I was able to tell him that Milton lives here, you don't... and kindly told him to sleep in the car or enjoy the 74 degree spare room, complete with a hedgie to play him a bedtime story with his wheel. It was rough.
You must be completely on edge, I'm so sorry! It's an awful feeling, and you are doing all you can. If he has to stay at the townhouse with you I would invest in a ceramic heat emitter and thermostat, unless you had mentioned previously why that's not an option... it'll keep his air temp safe and never too hot. You could also put a bike lock on the cage. I've locked my cages, as well as the door to their room, when there's a party.
You sound like a wonderful and caring owner, don't feel guilty. Your best is all you can ever be expected to offer.
I might be nuts, but I have the day/night version of this camera. I can literally see my hedgie room from my iPhone.
Amazon.com: D-Link DCS-930L mydlink-Enabled Wireless-N Network Camera: Camera & Photo Amazon.com: D-Link DCS-930L mydlink-Enabled Wireless-N Network Camera: Camera & Photo
Hang in there, wishing you and Colin all the best!!
sweetergrrrl and Lady like this.
-Anatole France
SpikeMoose is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-13-2014, 11:23 PM   #9 (permalink)

Thank you! I am the exact same, I need to hear his wheel going, his food munching, or his water bottle clinking to feel completely settled at night, and when I don't I go and see what's happening. He's still a baby so I don't worry too much when I see he's just napping.

And I really am going to look into one of those webcam setups, that sounds magnificent!

Old 01-14-2014, 12:30 AM   #10 (permalink)

It's like nobody listens or cares at all! I had him in my room where it was quiet and I could effectively keep him warm, then my roommate comes in (the one i share the room with) to go to sleep and turns the fan on in our room for 60 degrees!! I looked at Colin's cage and it was sporting 65 degrees oh my God!

I got him downstairs as quickly as I could and as I'm scooting him out she goes, "Wait, you're taking him away?" to which I very sternly responded, "Yes! It's freezing in here, he'll die!" and all she said was "oh."

I just spent the last 20 minutes saying "I'm sorry, I'm sorry," over and over again as I got his cage set back up downstairs with the heating pad and towel, thanking God I'm the one getting up the earliest tomorrow.

Even when I wasn't touching him he was hissing and popping as I was trying to talk to him and calm him down some. Then when I had it set up and sat quietly, he was just laying there huffing.

I'm so scared for the well being of my hedgehog right now, I'm back to nearly crying again. This room is so cold!

Last edited by Lady; 01-14-2014 at 12:34 AM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in