Should I sell her? - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

Like Tree58Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-27-2013, 03:51 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Should I sell her?

Hey, so I got my hedgie on Sunday and I kind of regret it
I like her and ive grown attached to her however, the things that put me off is that she poops and wees a lot, i have to clean it up evey single time
I know thats all part of being a hedgehog owner etc but i dont like it
Also the fact that she curls up everytime i try to hold her, i also know that it is their defence but it puts me off
Also apperently my room smells due to her etc

I can sell her very easily but ive grown attached to her, but im not sure if its for the best to sell her please give me advice!!
deyumz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-27-2013, 06:52 PM   #2 (permalink)

If you don't feel like you are ready for this you probably should re home her to somebody who is prepared for it :-/

This is why you should always research a pet before you get one.

Sounds like you aren't ready for pets, most pets require some sort of cleaning everyday everybody poops and pees.
Nancy, LarryT, JulieAnne and 1 others like this.
ceopet is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-27-2013, 07:11 PM   #3 (permalink)

In all honesty, if you aren't ready for this type of pet you should considering re homing her. They take a lot of work, responsibility, and tolerance. I think it would be best if you did sell/give her to someone that has experience with hedgehogs.

Just an opinion.
raurora and amyj like this.

Old 12-27-2013, 07:16 PM   #4 (permalink)
Hooked on Hogs

You got her from a breeder and many breeders have a stipulation that should you have to give hedgehog up, it must go back to the breeder. I'd check that out. Even if the breeder doesn't, the breeder may have someone waiting that would be willing to take her.
nikki, Lilysmommy, LarryT and 3 others like this.

Retired from breeding

Rescue contact for both the Hedgehog Welfare Society and the IHA
Rescued over 70 (and counting) hedgehogs needing a new home

http://freewebs.com/thehedgieden/
Nancy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-27-2013, 07:24 PM   #5 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Agreed with Ceopet. It sounds like you weren't really prepared for what to expect with hedgehog ownership. Hedgehogs poop a lot - it's just a fact of hedgie ownership. Babies poop and pee a TON, and while they'll do so less as they get older, they still poop quite a bit. You'll still have a poopy wheel to clean every day. You'll still need to spot-clean the cage daily, and do a fully clean every week. There's really no way to get around those things.

Her attitude is normal for hedgehogs, especially hedgies in a new environment. She doesn't know you yet and she doesn't know what to expect from you. They're pretty shy animals and they're usually pretty slow to start trusting a new person & opening up to them. You haven't even had her a full week yet - it can sometimes take weeks or months before a hedgehog will be comfortable with their new person.

Sit down and think about things for a bit. Think about having to clean up poop every day for the next 4-6 years. No days off - you'll have to clean the wheel every day. Think about whether you're willing to put a half an hour (at least) of your evenings aside to cuddle her every day for the next 4-6 years. If you don't hold her, she'll start to get more shy again. The only way she'll warm up to you is to continue getting her out & bonding with her. And she may never stop curling up in a ball when you first pick her up - some hedgehogs do that as a reaction to being picked up no matter what, then relax after they realize they know you.

If you think you're going to end up resenting her for what she requires from you, then it's probably a good idea to find a good home for her where they'll know what to expect from a hedgehog and will be happy to deal with the things that go along with hedgie ownership.
Nancy, nikki, LarryT and 7 others like this.

RIP my sweet Lily ~ 6/12/08 - 1/20/12
Lilysmommy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-28-2013, 07:31 AM   #6 (permalink)

I was infact ready, I waited for a month and I even read a book about it and I studied it a lot. The only thing I wasn't ready for was the smell of it; however, I am not going to give up as I am going to give it another try.

Thanks Lilysmommy for being my subtle than the others.
deyumz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-28-2013, 06:24 PM   #7 (permalink)
Administrator

I'm assuming since you got her, you really wanted a hedgehog to begin with. I'd give it more time. A week is nothing for these guys. She is still settling into your routine, and you are still developing your routine with her. Both the smell and her behavior may drastically improve if you give it a few more weeks. It could take longer, but here are some things to also think about...

I'm assuming she's a baby. If she's a baby, in addition to the fact that they poop more, sometimes their stool tends to smell more. Add in the fact she's still very new to you, she is likely still stressing from being in a new home. Stress to these little guys can do a number on their digestive systems, and smell can be a result (as well as green or loose stools).

All of this should get better as she settles in and as she gets older (assuming she's a baby).

If she really stinks, we can also take a look at how you care for her. What she is eating, what type of cage setup you have, etc. What the color, texture, etc of her stools are like.

I know you mentioned reading and researching, but there are a lot of bad resources out there with crap care information in them. With more information in these areas, we may be able to offer recommendations on how to make improvements to make her smell less or to help you interact with her better.

Hedgehogs aren't for everyone, but the fact you are posting here tells me you likely are wanting to keep her and not give up quite yet.
Kalandra is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-29-2013, 07:53 PM   #8 (permalink)

You can also try giving foot baths so she will poop and pee in the bath rather than on you. Obviously she's still going to poop in the cage and on her wheel, that's just life with a hedgehog. As a baby she may still poop and pee on you after a foot bath but they usually grow out of that and poop less. Try putting about half an inch of WARM water in a bath tub or sink and put her in their for a few minutes. She'll probably do a lot of her business there.

If you want her to bond with you more try putting a hoodie on backwards and put her in the hood. Then you can go about your day with her with you
amyj likes this.

Primrose became a part of my family on September 5th, 2012.

Ivy became a part of my family on May 1st, 2013.

Check out mine Prim's, and Ivy's Instagram http://instagram.com/julieanne1991/
JulieAnne is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-30-2013, 06:38 PM   #9 (permalink)

To the defense of the OP, I too researched Hedgies before buying one. Not fair for anyone to discount the shock as "well you did not research it".... I read lots of info on lots of breeder pages. Asked questions of breeders. Considered it a long time before the purchase....

The amount of poop and pee, especially on US when we try to hold him (always have to change all our clothes EVERY holding), as well as all the poop in his wheel (different thread I started), has been a shock. And I, someone who has had hundreds of critters, cats, dogs, and reptiles in my life! This little guy wins in the poop-n-stink contest of 41 years of odd pets.

Just saying... these guys can POOP.... wow.
Lilysmommy, amyj and Zippy like this.
JMGarrett is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-30-2013, 07:38 PM   #10 (permalink)

Ahahaha, JM, you've got a baby, don't you? The epic amounts of poop a young hoglet can produce are legendary. Like, poops as big around as their leg and twice as long, then, 15 minutes later, without eating anything new, doing it again! As a physicist, I was left contemplating if hedgehogs are actually some sort of infinite-poop generator. For a while, even with careful use of waterproofing, I'd still end up having to change pants multiple times a night thanks to exuberant hoglet-pee.

On the up side, they do grow out of it. Poop is a part of life of hedgehog-ownership, but it gets a lot more sane as they grow older. Now, with my great big 10-month-old almost-adult hedgehog, accidents are downright infrequent, and mostly to do with me not paying attention.
Annie&Tibbers is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in