Considering adding another hedgie - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

Like Tree11Likes
  • 3 Post By JulieAnne
  • 2 Post By sweetergrrrl
  • 3 Post By SpikeMoose
  • 2 Post By Lilysmommy
  • 1 Post By pixieperf

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-19-2013, 02:24 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Considering adding another hedgie

So, we've had Quilbur for almost a year now. We love her to pieces and vice versa, but we're thinking of getting her a buddy!

I know that we would only be able to get a female to avoid any chances of pregnancy. But Quilbur was a rescue hedgie. We have no problem rescuing another, but should we make sure the two get along first? Or do girls normally get along pretty well?

Also, we have a pretty big C&C cage for Quilbur (28x48" and two floors tall). Would it be okay to house them together, or should we get a separate cage for the new addition?

What we're most concerned about is getting Quilbur to get along with a new hedgie. Anyone have any pointers or advice?
pixieperf is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-19-2013, 02:51 AM   #2 (permalink)

Hedgehogs are solitary creatures. They don't need, and usually don't want, a "buddy". I have two girls. They both have separate cages. I occasionally get them out to run around in a pretty large hedgie proofed area. I have both their wheels, 4 bowls and separate hiding places/toys for both of them. For the most part they ignore each other although sometimes they puff and huff and such. They've never actually fought but I would never ever leave them unattended together.

I wouldn't house two hedgies together. MAYBE if they were sisters, but probably not even then. There's too much potential for things to go wrong while I'm asleep and I just wouldn't be able to live with myself if something did happen.
nikki, Lilysmommy and sweetergrrrl like this.

Primrose became a part of my family on September 5th, 2012.

Ivy became a part of my family on May 1st, 2013.

Check out mine Prim's, and Ivy's Instagram http://instagram.com/julieanne1991/
JulieAnne is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-19-2013, 05:48 AM   #3 (permalink)

Agree with JulieAnne, if you want to get another one you definitely should, but do it for you, not for your hedgehog. It seems cold to us, but they have no desire for another hedgehog around them. With her being over a year old there's no telling how she'd react to sharing her space. Get another cage and have them together for supervised playtime (as long as it's a girl).
Gruff is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2013, 02:06 PM   #4 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to sweetergrrrl

I have 3 of my own, two rescues. They are all housed separately and the most interaction they have daily is hearing each other much their kibbles at night. Sometimes I get up at night and hear a storm of hedgie feet on wheels too. My two boys will sometimes bathe together, but mainly for a time saving aspect and Link prefers the "deep end" of the tub while Navi prefers to try and hide in the shower curtain in the "shallow end".

On a side note, I had no idea how much work adding another (then another) hedgie to the mix would be. More time spent cuddling everyone, more time bathing, cleaning wheels and feet and SO much more food!!

Just something to think about.
SpikeMoose and raurora like this.

sweetergrrrl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-19-2013, 02:59 PM   #5 (permalink)

When I've had babies I even separate all of them into a personal cage, and that's with sisters and their mother. I don't even risk leaving them together. I put the sisters in together for playtime, and even then I watch and it's pretty clear they don't actually miss each other...
And you'd think twice the hedgies twice the poop, but somehow they magically produce even more. So much wheel scrubbing!
Getting another hedgie for you to enjoy separately from your current baby is okay, but it won't be for her. She doesn't need a friend, you're enough for her!
nikki, Lilysmommy and sweetergrrrl like this.
-Anatole France
SpikeMoose is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-20-2013, 06:56 PM   #6 (permalink)

Thanks for all the feedback, you guys! This helped a lot.

Something came up and we have the opportunity to adopt a hedgie this weekend! (That was a lot quicker than I was expecting). Apparently what happened was a girl had a pregnant hedgie, she had three babies, and now she sold two of the babies, is keeping the runt, and doesn't want the mom anymore. How unfair is that? She's way better off in a family like ours.

But we have all the supplies (cage, extra wheel, and everything) so I think we'll go ahead and commit! We don't mind the poop-scrubbing, and we DEFINITELY won't mind having another baby to snuggle with. I'm hoping Quilbur will like her, but we won't be heartbroken if they don't get along. We're really excited!
Old 12-20-2013, 09:22 PM   #7 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Poor girl, getting tossed off like that. She'll definitely be better off with you guys! Don't forget that it'd be best to quarantine her in a separate room, if at all possible, for 30 days. For a full quarantine, you'll need to handle Quilbur first, then handle your new girl after to avoid passing anything from her to Quilbur. Have fun meeting your new girl and we can't wait to see pics!
nikki and pixieperf like this.

RIP my sweet Lily ~ 6/12/08 - 1/20/12
Lilysmommy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-21-2013, 12:09 AM   #8 (permalink)

Thank you for the tips on quarantining! I can't keep them in separate rooms right now because of a lack of rooms, but I'm washing my hands between handling each one. I'm going to be very wary of both of them in terms of health. I already have a vet, so I'm ready to attack if need be! I'll post pictures soon. (:
Lilysmommy likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in