New hedgie - scared but warming up a lot! a few questions? - Page 2 - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

Like Tree11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-07-2013, 07:59 PM   #11 (permalink)

For bonding... I've recently started putting my hedgehogs in the hood of my hoodie (not together, of course) and carrying them like that. I put my hoodie on backwards, so the hood is in the front, and stick them in. Some people also put them in the front pocket of their hoodie which works well too .

As for food... hedgehog food is not good for them. It has very poor ingredients. This link:http://www.volcanoviewhedgehogs.com/hedgehog-care.html has a lot of great information, including what to look for in a good quality cat food.

Hedgehogs are solitary creatures. They don't need a "buddy", and most of the time don't want one.

I would suggest reading the hedgehog bible: http://www.westcoasthedgehogs.com/fi...ook/index.html

Also... up to date on shots? Hedgehogs don't require shots so I'm not sure what you mean.
Brittany likes this.

Primrose became a part of my family on September 5th, 2012.

Ivy became a part of my family on May 1st, 2013.

Check out mine Prim's, and Ivy's Instagram http://instagram.com/julieanne1991/
JulieAnne is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-08-2013, 08:35 PM   #12 (permalink)

Thanks! I've been doing all of that as well.
I've got him on the same cat food I give my pets & he likes it infinitely better.

He did have shots, his previous owner got them for him & said he would be good for 6 months -- also gave me his vet's information and what not but I will be taking him to my vet (the one my dogs and cats visit)

Old 12-08-2013, 08:42 PM   #13 (permalink)

I will read the links you provided & thank you!
He's bonded very well with me, but not my roommates.. not sure why. Lol.
That's odd if they do not require shots, as the girl who I got him from told me that he had come with them and she had been keeping him up-to-date.

What I've been doing for bonding - getting him from his cage every evening around 6:30, and playing with him for a couple of hours. Then when he gets tired again, I put him back into his cage and get him out again around 11:00 (when he wakes up) and after I've fed him, and given him fresh water.

Then he's ready to play. He's been liking a toilet paper roll & a little rattling ball. After about an hour of playing out of his cage or so, sometimes longer, he crawls on my arm and goes to sleep. I'll watch TV for awhile, or read or something (whatever I'm doing) while he sleeps, then put him back into his cage. The fact that he is nocturnal works out extremely well, as I am too, and he seems to enjoy my company.

Now, when my roommates come around while he and I are playing, he balls up and hisses until I pick him up. I wish he would bond with them, too, but I'm happy he loves me.

Old 12-08-2013, 08:54 PM   #14 (permalink)

He has an appointment with the vet on the 14th, so I will see what she has to say.

As for getting him a buddy, I've decided on getting another in January from a breeder upstate, but I will not keep them together (of course) and I believe I will be getting another little boy.

Thank you all for your help & responses.
Lilysmommy and Brittany like this.
Old 12-10-2013, 02:19 PM   #15 (permalink)

Like I said, hedgehogs don't need/get shots so I would recommend you not do that anymore. What shots did they give him?

For bonding-- you don't have to wait until he wakes up. I am about to get one of my girls out and let her sleep with me while I'm on the computer. Snuggle time during the day is a great way to bond.

Keep in my mind that hedgehogs, especially males, do not like other hedgehogs, so don't even let them "play" together. It would probably just turn into a blood bath anyway. Not saying don't get two hedgehogs... just saying keep them separate at all times. Reputable breeders won't allow you to have a different sex hedgehog than what you already have anyways.
Brittany likes this.

Primrose became a part of my family on September 5th, 2012.

Ivy became a part of my family on May 1st, 2013.

Check out mine Prim's, and Ivy's Instagram http://instagram.com/julieanne1991/
JulieAnne is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
hedgehog, hedgie, ralphie

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in