Concerned for hedgies I saw in the pet store - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-02-2010, 03:00 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Concerned for hedgies I saw in the pet store

Today me and hedgedaddy went to a local pet store just to waste some time because we had nothing to do. This place has some Fennec Foxes (which are kept in excellent condition) that I've been visiting for a while.

For the first time ever, the store had hedgehogs. I'm currently visiting my parents and haven't lived in this town for a while, so I don't know if these were the first hedgies they've ever had, but I've never seen them in the store before. And the sight of them really concerned me!

I wish I had a picture or something, but I'll try to describe it. When Rocko walks, he keeps pretty low to the ground so his legs aren't really visible most of the time, just his feet. Every other hedgehog I've seen has walked in a similar fashion and had a nice plump belly. Rocko isn't overweight, but unless he consciously holds himself up, his belly either touches the floor or is very close to it. These hedgehogs were skinny, and were walking up on all fours with their legs stretched to full length like a dog does! I've never seen that before! I didn't touch them, but hedgedaddy held one and said that its quills weren't strong like Rocko's, but were very soft and bendy like a weak fingernail. I also noticed that the area around their noses were rubbed raw! I think this was because they didn't have a wheel and were pacing back and forth along the edge of the aquarium they were being kept in.

Obviously these hedgies were not in the best condition. I wish that I could do anything other than tell the girl at the counter that the babies MUST have a wheel or they'll possibly harm themselves. She didn't seem to know anything about hedgehogs. What I'm most curious about is the way they were walking. Is it normal for hedgehogs to walk with their legs at full length like a dog or cat? I've only ever seen hedgehogs walk with their legs tucked under so you can't really tell how long they are. The only time I see the length of Rocko's legs is when he's running full speed on his wheel..
strawberryfields is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-02-2010, 07:56 AM   #2 (permalink)
Hooked on Hogs

Default Re: Concerned for hedgies I saw in the pet store

Some hedgehogs are low riders and you don't really see their legs, and others walk with long legs. I've found that usually those with the runners body shape walk long legged.

Babies have softer quills so that could account for the soft feeling quills.

Unfortunately animals housed in aquariums often rub their noses raw on the glass. Partly it is boredom and partly I think because glass is so see through that they thing they can get out.

Retired from breeding

Rescue contact for both the Hedgehog Welfare Society and the IHA
Rescued over 70 (and counting) hedgehogs needing a new home

http://freewebs.com/thehedgieden/
Nancy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-02-2010, 09:33 AM   #3 (permalink)

Poor little guys.

I don't know about the leg thing... Beck kinda alternates. Sometimes he's low to the ground, but if something has really piqued his interest he hoists himself up more to scurry over to it, and when he runs he's definitely up off the ground. But his legs are pretty long, and I definitely wouldn't say he stands on their full length. Like, are they more than an inch or two off the ground?

Old 01-02-2010, 01:23 PM   #4 (permalink)

Perhaps you could recommend the owner get in contact with someone on HCC.

The pet shop doesn't seem to know much, and these are the kinds of people you don't want to adopt hedgies from!

Someone needs to learn basic care for them or they could all be in danger of being purchased and living life in aquariums! He could be selling people hedgies and telling them that the way he houses them is proper care!!!

I'm glad you recommended a wheel at least but god knows all those hedgies need wheels of their own to avoid little tiffs and possible lost or infected eyes.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in