A couple questions - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-14-2009, 02:51 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default A couple questions

Hello everyone!

I got Penny about 3.5 months ago when she was 6 weeks old. She is a sweet and curious little girl.

1. Biting.
Penny is a sweetheart, but unfortunately she is a biter... she full on clamps down with a locked jaw if you get your hands too close to her mouth, but I am trying not to be discouraged. I have tried different methods of making her stop, including blowing gently in her face when she clamps on, but nothing seems to work. I have yet to try the rubbing alcohol on a Q-tip method. Can anyone give me advice on if the rubbing alcohol method actually works? And if so, how exactly do you do it? It seems like it would take a while to get the Q-tip dipped in rubbing alcohol and dab it on her nose all while she is biting me.

2. Dry skin.
Penny's skin is extremely flaky. I believe this is because I have a space heater blowing into her cage to ensure that it stays around 78 degrees. I was thinking about buying a humidifier to counteract the dryness... any advice? I can occasionally hear Penny scratching herself in her igloo, and I really want to help her feel better.

3. Not running on her wheel at night.
This has only been an issue during the past couple of nights. I moved her into my bedroom because it is easier to heat during this cold weather, and the first few nights she was running like crazy. But the past few nights I haven't heard her running at night, and when I wake up in the morning her wheel is clean (normally it's covered in poop and pee hah). This morning when I was holding her I noticed that there was a tiny, tiny amount of dry crusted blood around one of her back nails, but I rinsed it off and I can't see any wounds or anything. I'm a little worried about why she's not running...

4. Question about nail clipping.
I am having a hard time differentiating what is underneath her nail and where I should be clipping to. I know her actual toe extends pretty far up under her nail, but when I clip her nails to the length of the toe, her nails still seem incredibly long. Is this normal?

Thanks!
pennygirl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-14-2009, 03:46 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: A couple questions

Regarding my question about nail clipping... I guess I should have phrased the question differently.

What is the typical length of the quick underneath the biggest toes on a the back feet? On Penny's left foot, the quick is longer than on her right foot. I attempted to measure it and it's about 1/8 of an inch long. I realize this may be a difficult question to answer, but is this normal??

Ever since I received Penny I have been clipping her nails regularly, about every 2 weeks because her nails grow very quickly.
pennygirl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in